Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 22:32

I have the ball.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015, 22:36

Doublez-Down wrote:I have the ball.

Indeed you have! :) :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 01:00

Just checked the map, good start so far guys. I guess we're starting with Tech eh ;)

EDIT: Question in regards to the ReadMe. Should we be updating the Construction section each time a participate finishes their segment and uploads? This could be really cool supplemental, if we keep kind of a diary thing going. Just a suggestion as the section is there in the ReadMe.

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 06:55

Just tried it, definetly a great work from the both of you, I wasn't expecting a Tech map, but it looks awesome!

+1 to Mr. Prophet suggestion. :)
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 14:35

Mister_Prophet wrote:Just checked the map, good start so far guys. I guess we're starting with Tech eh ;)

EDIT: Question in regards to the ReadMe. Should we be updating the Construction section each time a participate finishes their segment and uploads? This could be really cool supplemental, if we keep kind of a diary thing going. Just a suggestion as the section is there in the ReadMe.

UnrealGecko wrote:Just tried it, definetly a great work from the both of you, I wasn't expecting a Tech map, but it looks awesome!

+1 to Mr. Prophet suggestion. :)

Glad you like it, guys! Thanks for the comments :)

About the diary thing, I actually did envision something like that for the event, so yeah, ideally each mapper should add to the "Construction" and "Authors' Notes" sections of the readme. I think the "Construction" section should be limited to bluntly saying approximately how much time you took to do your segment (I know we all have a week but I mean in terms of hours), while the "Authors' Notes" section can be the place where you can go on about what inspired you, what you had planned vs. what actually came out of it, specifying various details about your work, any other remarks you may have about the event, etc. You can write a couple of sentences or a big paragraph, it's up to you.
I'll update the readme this week-end so that it includes:
- makemeunreal's build time (I have the dates but if makemeunreal can tell me approximately how many hours he spent working on his segment? if someone can't estimate approximately how many hours we'll just keep the dates between which the work took place)
- makemeunreal's text for the "Authors' Notes" section (I'm counting on you to send me a little text buddy!)
- my remarks in the "Authors' Notes"

Maybe Doublez-Down and everyone coming after can add to the aforementioned sections of the readme themselves, and indeed upload the updated readme together with their work on the map. But at this point, I'd just like to say that you don't HAVE TO write that stuff during your mapping time, don't stress over that if you don't have much time for whatever reason, you can always send me your text for the "Authors' Notes" and build time for the "Construction" sections afterwards (see EDIT at the end of this post).

The "Extended Description" section of the readme should be written only after the map is finished - because in my view it would be a brief descriptive text about the map only, without the clutter of each author's personal views on things (the actual descriptive text can be approved together).
Again, the title of the map can also be decided once the event is finished (the same goes for the group name that would appear in level properties> author).

If you have other remarks/suggestions with regards to the readme, do tell! :)

EDIT: also, some might want to wait a bit before writing their comments in the "Authors' Notes" section of the readme. Like, my remarks will totally include comments about how the transition between my segment and the next one turned out. I'm also going to make it clear that you can always submit an updated version of your comments in the readme at a later date, if you wish to take into account things that came after the date of submission of your work.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015, 22:48

Man I wish I was good at mapping now.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015, 10:56

ElectricIce wrote:Man I wish I was good at mapping now.

It's up to you, but know that you'd be welcome to participate, even if you don't value your mapping skills very highly. :)

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015, 17:34

Would you be able to put a running order of sorts in the opening post, Sat, so we know whose turn comes after another?

Obviously not necessary, but it might help to keep a concise record on one page ;)

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015, 17:53

SteadZ wrote:Would you be able to put a running order of sorts in the opening post, Sat, so we know whose turn comes after another?

Obviously not necessary, but it might help to keep a concise record on one page ;)

SZ

Good idea, SteadZ! I'll put up the running order in a moment - it'll feature at the bottom of the OP after the download link.
Thanks for the suggestion :)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015, 18:08

Updated the archive's readme:
- the "Authors' Notes" section is now the the "Authors' Commentary **SPOILERS**" section
- added my commentary, which will still increase by one last paragraph later on, to take into account general impressions of this event
- improved the copyrights / permissions section

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 00:14

*Hrm, Hrm* Doublez-Down *Hrm, Hrm*

SZ

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 00:50

Okay, here we go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_ue_ ... sp=sharing

Hopefully I left you guys something to work with, and hopefully Prophet can get us back on grid lol. I was already uploading it when I saw the part about the readme, so I didn't get a chance to edit that. But I was really only able to work on this today (!) and spent a total of about 4 hours I suppose.

Looking forward to another turn and wish I could have done a bit more.

Oh - I just replaced the map file in the zip and re-uploaded everything else, so hopefully that was ok.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 11:25

Doublez-Down wrote:Okay, here we go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_ue_ ... sp=sharing

Hopefully I left you guys something to work with, and hopefully Prophet can get us back on grid lol. I was already uploading it when I saw the part about the readme, so I didn't get a chance to edit that. But I was really only able to work on this today (!) and spent a total of about 4 hours I suppose.

Looking forward to another turn and wish I could have done a bit more.

Oh - I just replaced the map file in the zip and re-uploaded everything else, so hopefully that was ok.

Well received and well tested, Doublez-Down! No worries about not having done more this time round, your section is already cool as it is and that exterior part shows promise for future gameplay action :)
You're welcome to another turn later on, just let me know!

OK everyone, I updated the archive so the download link provides us with everything up to date.
I did organise the files a bit better as after Doublez-Down's upload I noticed a lot of files were missing for running the map in Unreal 227. Some of those files are not even used in the map as of now but that's OK, and I wanted to make sure that the next mapper can get to work immediately without searching for missing files. The archive is quite big as a consequence but by today's standards... I think it's no problem. For the final version of this map, I think links for separate versions - one for UT, one for 227 (which will include the otherwise missing UT files such as BotPack) - will do nicely.

Now it's Mister_Prophet's turn! You have from today until Tuesday the 17th of March midnight to upload your work :) Get us back on grid! :D

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 18:44

Bug report (contains spoilers):

► Show Spoiler

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015, 23:14

► Show Spoiler

Previous Next