Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 04:13

I'm close to the wire. I got sidetracked for 6 hours doing shit I that wasn't important, had nothing to do with me, but I couldn't get out of. I'm gonna upload what I have at some point before my head hits the hay tonight.

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 04:13

Literally just sent it. I'm beat, talk about bad luck for a last day.

I told Sat the particulars, but it's up and not quite the way I wanted to end it. I added the totem/key/crystal at the end, but had no time to set up a spot for it to be used in the Demon's Grave. Someone else needs to do this I guess.

List of issues/features

-new location, Titan's Row added.

-Last room ends abruptly, the teleporter doesn't work. There is a receiving room in the Demon's Grave, but it is unfinished. These two rooms are intended to link up after you complete the Green Path.

-I did not edit any of UB's trans messages, but the name on the computer leading into Titan's Row does not match up in terms of location. I went a different route.

-My Warp Zones are a bit ugly around the seams. I haven't made one since 2006 and didn't have time to mess with them too much. They take you where you need to go but have obvious visual issues. Perhaps someone can help clean these up.

-You should have enough provisions to complete Titan's Row, though I need feedback for the harder difficulties in terms of balance. UB's input might be invaluable here. I had no problems, but I'm too close to it maybe.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 09 May 2015, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 11:48

No worries, man, even if you're late - thanks for keeping me informed of the situation, and looking forward to your upload!
PS: remember that fixing up and added details and stuff can always constitute a new turn later on!

EDIT: UPLOAD RECEIVED. Will playtest it and update the archive in the coming hour or two - download link will soon be updated!!
:D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 16:49

Waiting it.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 17:15

Rejoice, everyone!
OP updated, the download link will provide you with the latest version of the map! :)

► Show Spoiler

Thanks, Mister_Prophet, for your new contribution! 8)

EDIT: I rebuilt the map as I managed to get rid of one HOM in SteadZ's section. There are still visual glitches with the Warp Zones, but that can be fixed later.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 21:15

PROPH NERF DOWN THAT LAST TITAN'S EARTHQUAKE POWER HOLY SHIT I WAS HAVING HEAD CONVULSIONS DURING THAT FIGHT

Other than that it was really fun, you might want to add more lights in the first part of the Titan's Row because I couldn't see anything (let alone those spikes). Seems all fine on Unreal difficulty, didn't run out of ammo.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 21:48

Just spent another 45 minutes or so playing through this again and enjoying it massively. Prophet's last addition is amazing. I made saves on the second time too, but didn't die this time. Yeah I have to say, the Stone Titan's earthquake power is awesome!! :D (I, personally, don't think it should be changed - it's just crazy and I love it that way!)

Good lord, people, this map is gonna be quite something when it's finished!! \o/

EDIT: by the way, those spikes are a really neat idea. I remember wondering whether they were just deco at first... and then while fighting the first Titan I suddenly got a surprise!

EDIT2: we also have a torch light for darker areas.
Last edited by Sat42 on 09 May 2015, 21:55, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 21:48

Pretty sure the quake is set to default shake, unless you mean the duration? Otherwise, the quake is supposed to stun you at a distance to make the titans rocks more of a threat. Since it cannot melee you. Some spots did come out dark though, maybe zone lighting can be up'd a tick.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 May 2015, 21:53

Yeah the duration, and Titans' earthquakes do stack up I believe so the screen shakes even more violently.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 10 May 2015, 10:43

Re-uploaded the project's archive to include Nali.umx and Warlord.umx.

Oh, and there is an opening now, so if someone wants to participate, he/she can start immediately after applying here! :)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were to be a bit of a break in the event now, as this period of the year is usually pretty busy for students. Not that everyone is a student, of course :) but quite a few of us are.
I know I'm repeating myself but just for those who don't always keep up with new posts: I have my Master thesis to work on now, it's just about crunch time so I know I won't apply again for this game until July.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 10 May 2015, 21:23

Okay I'll take this week. I had an idea and was considering waiting until next week but if there's an opening now I may as well try it.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 10 May 2015, 22:23

Semfry wrote:Okay I'll take this week. I had an idea and was considering waiting until next week but if there's an opening now I may as well try it.

Oh, yeah!
Sweet, man, delighted to hear you're onboard! :D

You have until Monday the 18th midnight to upload your section! (It could have been no later than next Sunday midnight but there are only a few hours left today so... :wink: )

Don't hesitate to keep me informed if there's a question or something!

EDIT: added Semfry's name to the list in the OP.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 18 May 2015, 03:41

Okay here's the files for updating the OP (if you already have the full download in the OP this should be all you need for my part): https://www.mediafire.com/?m878zz2tiu7b938

My part is completely different from my original idea (and only part of what I wanted for the revised idea too), but it keeps the spirit at least. I've also got a placeholder message for adding to the story later. My fight can be won fine even on Unreal, although I'm not sure whether it might require some foreknowledge (which I think is fine for Unreal, but I might have to tone it down slightly or add extra items on easier settings).

As I mentioned in the commentary I've gone through and tweaked a bunch of things to try and fix the BSP issues, in particular, I had to rebuild all the windows and one or two masked things in Uberserker's section as them not being sheets (with invisible collision hulls for collision) seems to have led to them completely breaking; hopefully they're stable now. I also found a bunch of sheets in the early parts (Sat42 and Makemeunreal's I guess?) which were solid; sheets are one thing that should NEVER be solid, and I made the BSP at the start slightly better by doing that (as in it doesn't swallow you or disappear at least), although there's still a bunch of invisible walls that need looking at.

Unfortunately a massive issue has slipped in; the warpzone back to the top of the pit in Mister_Prophet's part seems to be completely broken and crashes the game if you look at it from one side (yet the other side works fine). This isn't too hard to fix at least as the cause is obvious, but it's something that feels like it needs more opinions on what to do. IMO a teleporter would be a cheap and easy solution for now, but maybe someone else knows what's actually broke on the warp.

Also I've got an idea for what the end goal for finding the keys is; I was thinking my part leads to some sort of laboratory (which is what I planned for the second part of my section) where an experimental creature is being worked on, and the "keys" let you break the system in some way to cancel any further creation, and then it breaks out to be a boss fight. I'm not sure if there were already other ideas though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 May 2015, 13:09

Got it and tested it, Semfry! :)
Thanks a lot for your section, the ambush definitely comes as a surprise! (I was expecting something but the way it unfolded was unpredictable)
On Medium, it was actually rather easy (and I played through this before taking UB's route), so I'd say there's definitely no balance issues (could even be made harder if anything).
Thanks for changing the solidity of the aforementioned sheets, I didn't know there'd be a difference whether a sheet were solid or not :B
I rebuilt the map with UED 2.1 and all the BSP issues you mentioned, with the exception of lingering visual issues with the warp zones (but no crashing now), are gone: no invisible walls, and your upload actually had half of a floor grid in makemeunreal's section invisible, I adjusted the brushes and now the grid is again fully visible.

OP updated with the latest build of the map!! :D
Oh, and thanks for adding your commentary, too!

Your idea to wrap up your path is good, I think, but two things:
- I'd say we keep it to one key there, which upon being picked up interrupts the experiment and leads to a boss fight - just saying that because at this point, I think the real final (when one has all the keys) would have to be built in a different .unr.
- UBerserker suggested that the green path is the only way at first, then it opens two other paths - the red path and presumably yours. I tend to like that idea, it makes it easier to balance difficulty.

Of course, these details are open to discussion!

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015, 20:39

Please live
Formerly Mman

Previous Next