Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015, 22:52

Semfry wrote:Please live

Aww, hey :) it does! at least it certainly will, this project is going to see me add to it if nothing else.
I'm sure others will contribute when the time is right (some will return, I'm sure :wink: ) - and I'm not talking about a distant future, either.

I'm sorry if I have allowed a hiatus to occur with this project, just too much work IRL right now.
For instance, I have to hand in my Master thesis on Friday!! :P then some exams, then I have to present the thesis, then I'll be on holiday (at the very end of June).

I might as well say that I have a cool idea to "furnish" SteadZ's area, if he doesn't return (of course, you're welcome to another turn if you like, SteadZ!). That's the only bit that really looks unfinished right now, and I have a cool vision for it (which retains the theme, of course) if I'm the one who ends up working on this segment.

I'm just going to say again thank you to all those who have already contributed. Some of you have contributed substantially more, you know who you are and you have the recognition you deserve :wink: but all in all I have to say it was a lot of fun following the project's development as each of you added to it in your own way! The level is already frankly amazing in my opinion... and it's not finished yet!

I'll be able to whip up this project again when I am done with my semester.
Heh, if no one else takes the week before mid-July, I might just be the next one to contribute :)

Cheers!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 01:01

Dead person here.

Finally come out of extended recovery mode after sleep deprivation (and minecraft...) deprived me of any form of original creativity and essentially crippled me artistically.

In other words I am back to tie up loose ends around here and try not to let down people I said could rely on me to produce something for them. I am however going to have to learn how to map over again and get back up to where I was standard-wise before taking leave...

Anyhow I'll nevertheless have a smash at cleaning up the crap I left in this map without messing anything up too much :P

So yeah... I'm back I guess...

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 06:40

SteadZ wrote:Dead person here.

Finally come out of extended recovery mode after sleep deprivation (and minecraft...) deprived me of any form of original creativity and essentially crippled me artistically.

In other words I am back to tie up loose ends around here and try not to let down people I said could rely on me to produce something for them. I am however going to have to learn how to map over again and get back up to where I was standard-wise before taking leave...

Anyhow I'll nevertheless have a smash at cleaning up the crap I left in this map without messing anything up too much :P

So yeah... I'm back I guess...

SZ

Oho!! welcome back! :D
Just to be clear: you're saying you're in for another go right now, right?
Because in that case you have until next Wednesday (the 10th) midnight to upload your work!
It will be nice to see that big room completed according to your original vision, man! :) (and you can also add something else to the map if you have enough time, of course)
Remember: no more than 5000 nodes per turn and you can use UED 2.1, if you prefer. As long as you don't use 227 specific effects (gotta keep this compatible with UT), then it's all good. The download link in the OP will provide you with everything (including botpack for 227) up-to-date.
Godspeed!
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015, 21:32

This is not fair!. it messed up my UT installation!. I get "failed to enter entry can't find file for package 'Emitter' history: UgameEngine:: < - InitEngine and NOW, UT won't get past that error!! I installed all the files in UT.. it's supposed to be for UT, right?? SO, what's the fix? UT99 won't run.. EDIT: FIXED. I had to re run the UT436 patch with my original UT disk, and that worked.. the bot pack in the download was incompatible...

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015, 00:25

radios wrote:This is not fair!. it messed up my UT installation!. I get "failed to enter entry can't find file for package 'Emitter' history: UgameEngine:: < - InitEngine and NOW, UT won't get past that error!! I installed all the files in UT.. it's supposed to be for UT, right?? SO, what's the fix? UT99 won't run.. EDIT: FIXED. I had to re run the UT436 patch with my original UT disk, and that worked.. the bot pack in the download was incompatible...

Hey radios,

Sorry to hear about that inconvenience, glad to hear you were able to overcome that issue, but the botpack file within the archive is only there for Unreal 227 users; the file is actually suggestively named BotPack(227) - admittedly this is not as clear as can be, so I'll update the readme such that it clarifies the matter. I'll upload a new version of the archive tomorrow.

I would have liked to start a new post here with a little surprise but had to acknowledge the last unexpected post :P
Starting this Sunday, I'm taking a new turn (that will consequently last until Sunday the 26th of July). :)

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015, 04:13

Sat42 wrote:
radios wrote:This is not fair!. it messed up my UT installation!. I get "failed to enter entry can't find file for package 'Emitter' history: UgameEngine:: < - InitEngine and NOW, UT won't get past that error!! I installed all the files in UT.. it's supposed to be for UT, right?? SO, what's the fix? UT99 won't run.. EDIT: FIXED. I had to re run the UT436 patch with my original UT disk, and that worked.. the bot pack in the download was incompatible...

Hey radios,

Sorry to hear about that inconvenience, glad to hear you were able to overcome that issue, but the botpack file within the archive is only there for Unreal 227 users; the file is actually suggestively named BotPack(227) - admittedly this is not as clear as can be, so I'll update the readme such that it clarifies the matter. I'll upload a new version of the archive tomorrow.

I would have liked to start a new post here with a little surprise but had to acknowledge the last unexpected post :P
Starting this Sunday, I'm taking a new turn (that will consequently last until Sunday the 26th of July). :)

Ok, Thank You, and good idea btw.. I dreaded the thought of having to completely reinstall UT99 as I had many maps and updates and customizations installed.. Thank You for responding and fixing things.. :)

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015, 17:37

radios wrote:Ok, Thank You, and good idea btw.. I dreaded the thought of having to completely reinstall UT99 as I had many maps and updates and customizations installed.. Thank You for responding and fixing things.. :)

Another handy thing: if you don't want to lose everything, reinstall UT to a separate folder, then copy the files you modified back into \System\ until the game works normally again.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015, 21:30

radios wrote:Ok, Thank You, and good idea btw.. I dreaded the thought of having to completely reinstall UT99 as I had many maps and updates and customizations installed.. Thank You for responding and fixing things.. :)

You're welcome! :)

I've clarified the utility of the BotPack(227) file under "Installation" in the readme. A new archive with the updated readme will be available for download in the OP in the coming hours - I am back at my parents' place and the Internet connection is pretty bad!

EDIT: done - updated readme in archive, available for download in the OP.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015, 22:58

Just saying: tomorrow I'll upload the new version of the map. There won't be much new, though, unfortunately: I've had unexpected things happen during the week (including a trip to Paris organised at short notice for the funeral of a friend), so really all I've been doing is working on SteadZ's unfinished segment (after getting permission, of course). I'll do as much as I reasonably can but the way things are going, I won't even finish furnishing SZ's section - I'm a slow worker - but that's OK, I have a nice idea* for that big room, and I'll continue my work on it.
About the continuation of this event: anyone interested in a (new) turn can think about it again right now - the game has been dormant for a while now, and I have some time for it again, so if no one shows up in the next few days (say before next Wednesday), I'm taking a new turn again in order to finish this Skaarj section!

Sat42, over and out

*a REALLY nice vision, actually!

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015, 03:30

New version of the map is available for download in the OP! :)
Now, like I said in my previous post, there's not much new (I only ever finished the entrance hall to SteadZ's original section): in fact, there's nothing new in terms of gameplay, so really you can just wait until another update actually brings something meatier to the table before bothering downloading the archive again, but it's up to you.
Again, if no one else manifests himself/herself before this upcoming Wednesday, I'll take another turn in order to make this thing actually see progress. :P
Cheers, everyone!

EDIT: started a new turn!

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015, 02:34

OK a quick update:-

I'm leaving home for 8-9 days tomorrow (will return on the 12th at the latest), off on holiday, so I have to declare a new break in my work on the map. I've made some good progress on that big chamber SteadZ left behind, but it's not ready - it's quite high poly (the original terrain brush was rather high poly so I maintained this approach for this section) and there's still many hours of mapping ahead of me before I complete my work on this section. Now, I'm aware I'm stretching my own rules regarding how one works on the map, but given that this mapping game has been dormant since May, I believe I owe it to those who have already participated to try and "complete" the (already very big) level, be it by finishing previously unfinished sections, correcting bugs (there are minor visual issues here and there, like with the warp zones), or actually adding a new section (once I'm done with the aforementioned stuff) - when I'm available to do so. The moment another mapper decides to participate, we'll get this wagon going again and the RULES will apply! :P
Basically, I'm not going to upload now another "in progress" version of that unfinished section - next time I upload a new version of the map, it'll be with that old segment fully realised! ;) (unless someone else contributes something else to the map before I'm done with this section - in that case there'll be a new upload too, of course!)

I'll still access the web from time to time during my trip, so I should be able to answer if I see any new posts here during the next 8-9 days.

See you later fellas!

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015, 20:28

*BUMP*

Hope people can still contribute to this, as I really would like to see it finished ;)

Can't promise but after the current contest ends over at ut99.org (Jan 10 + a few more days) I'll be free until the start of February... So if there is a free spot somewhere during the 2nd part of January I'm wiling to add a room to this :)
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015, 00:46

UnrealGecko wrote:*BUMP*

Hope people can still contribute to this, as I really would like to see it finished ;)

Can't promise but after the current contest ends over at ut99.org (Jan 10 + a few more days) I'll be free until the start of February... So if there is a free spot somewhere during the 2nd part of January I'm wiling to add a room to this :)

Holy shit, UnrealGecko, thanks for your post and for your offer!
Yes of course, there's a free spot during the second part of January, having you adding a room to this will be more than welcome :)
After ividyon's exemplary informative post I felt like I'd like to write something of a recap' for this project too, but just yesterday I left home for a New Year trip and will only be able to do this after I return on the 4th of January. I've kept somewhat quiet because 1) not much progress was made since August and 2) I have that pupae chamber almost ready, but don't want to spoil it until everything's in place (including special events); I'll try to upload the new version of the map before January 15, since that is when I start my new job, and what I can say is that in addition to a fully-fledged pupae chamber, there'll be a secret area (a real one!), a slightly improved skybox, and hopefully no lingering visual issues with the warp zones.
Will get back to you soon enough, then!

Cheers!

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015, 07:54

Sweet! Looking forward to it then ;)
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016, 12:37

*DOUBLE BUMP*

Didn't get any recap yet, Sat42... any new news? :P
Deep cover GEcko!

Previous Next