Scout-kun is a lie... right?

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 21:14

Greetings, fellow Unrealists!

I hereby declare the opening of a fully public, friendly mapping event with a no-barrier admissions policy!

This is intended to be a laid-back project, where one mapper has a week to make part of a map before handing off to someone else, who has a week to add on to it as much as he/she desires, in whatever way he/she wants, and take the story in any direction... until the week is up, where he/she hands it over, and so on.
In effect, we're talking about a kind of "game of telephone" in UED!
(Thanks to someone for inspiration here :wink: )

At the end of this post, please find the download link to the project's folder as it currently stands: indeed, to kickstart this event, I provided you with the first section of the map. :)

Anyone can contribute. Everyone is welcome to take a crack at this project - whether you are used to mapping for Unreal/UT or not.
Think you're a newbie? Who cares, as long as you enjoy mapping, I'd be more than happy to see you contribute! Look at me: this is technically my first release!! (and they ain't too much there, either!)
Think you're a pro with UnrealEd? Well come and prove it! I'm not afraid!!
This is an opportunity to carry out an idea you couldn't find a place for.
This is an occasion to try stuff you hadn't tried before.
But remember: you only have a week!

IMPORTANT! Now I am providing a few rules. Read on:-

1. To participate, you must post in this thread to let us (or at the very least: me!) know. Just say "I'm in!" or something, as long as it clearly states that you're the next one to contribute.

2. The day you post is the day you start, unless you post before someone's week is up, to "book" the following week. In short: the first one to say he/she will take over the mapping is the first one served... and the others will have to wait, in order of appearance. The day someone's week is up... is the day you start! (I don't want people mapping in parallel)

3. One week per mapper, and no more. For example: you start on Sunday, then you must upload your work in this thread no later than the following Sunday at midnight! ("your week" may be from Wednesday to Wednesday, of course) You can upload your work earlier, of course, but you won't get to bring modifications to it, at least not until the end of the game of telephone! (when potentially some fixing/clean up might be in order) If you fail to send your work on time, too bad (barring exceptional circumstances - but I'm serious, don't cheat on this). You can link your segment to one of the previous ones (doesn't have to be linear) but if you don't, as long as it's clear where you want your segment to start and what's the start of your segment, I can do it for you.
I'll update the download link in the opening post each time I get a new contribution. (and if someone has a better idea as to how I should host the files - using dropbox for now - then do tell)

4. You must have something in your section saying you made said section (if you don't want to use your real name, then your nickname on USP.org will suffice). If you don't know how to do this, look at the way I did it for my section for inspiration. But you can carry this out any number of ways, it's up to you. By the way, the "Authors" entry in the level properties may eventually use a group name (to be decided later, and the same goes for the level's title).

5. No quality limits, as long it's not completely broken technically.

6. Custom content allowed.

7. No one gets to use mylevel!!! If you use custom content, just add the files in the project's archive.

8. A mapper cannot contribute twice in a row! You may contribute more than once in total, though.

9. No more than 5000 nodes per contribution!!! I like this rule because on the one hand, it isn't very limiting (only a week to work on your section of the map!), and on the other hand, it makes sure that if this project kicks off, we'll get more than 2 contributions :P of course, if you come back to contribute a second time (or 3rd or...) then you again have 5000 nodes worth of mapping space.

9. You may bring modifications to previous sections, but if it is anything more than minor changes (i.e., correcting bugs or optimisation), then you must ask the relevant author(s) if he/she/they is/are OK with that.

10. Once a contribution pushes the entire map's node count to over 35000, only one more contribution will be allowed. (Now, if it so happened that this "one more contribution" is super small and there is another mapper or two in the waiting list desperate to make an addition, I may consider allowing them to go ahead). This way, we will stay around the 40000 node count "safe zone".

11. You are free to use anything you personally make for this "game of telephone" in another future project, absolutely. If you want to use stuff which got mixed with someone else's stuff, then you will have to talk about it with him/her.

Now for the final words: I made the current .unr file with UED2.0, and a priori I want this to be compatible with Unreal/UT. That way, this potentially joke-of-a-map-but-in-a-good-way-because-potentially-tons-of-fun gets the widest audience possible.
BUT, buuut... if I suddenly get a series of posts (and I mean at least a solid three) in this thread telling me "hell man, I would contribute no doubt, like you can totally trust me on that, but ONLY if it is for 227 with its 227 only features!" then I may reconsider. BUT, again, if there are more people who positively answer this call for a cross-plateform project, then I'll stick to this idea of having this game of telephone be Unreal and UT compatible. Doesn't stop anyone from using UED2.1.

You may discuss the map in its current state in this thread, too! OK that was obvious, but feedback is always welcome! :)

Hope to see you contribute soon!! Remember: no restrictions on creativity!

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xu1xkg5i7rfxoq/UEDGameOfTelephone2015.zip?dl=0

Participants (in running order):

- Sat42
- makemeunreal
- Doublez-Down
- Mister_Prophet
- SteadZ
- UBerserker
- Mister_Prophet
- Semfry
- Sat42
- Pla

(names in green indicate that the relevant participants have already uploaded their work)
Last edited by Sat42 on 24 Nov 2017, 17:14, edited 24 times in total.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015, 15:32

Count me in. :tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015, 15:59

makemeunreal wrote:Count me in. :tup:

Great to hear that, makemeunreal!!

You have until next Saturday (28th of February) midnight at the latest to upload your section in this thread!
I look forward to seeing what you made! :D
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015, 19:42

So this is going to be something like Operation: Na Pali's credits map?

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015, 20:02

Rarsonic wrote:So this is going to be something like Operation: Na Pali's credits map?

Potentially... but with "real" gameplay, too! :)
(actually, I now recall that there also is a bit more than just sightseeing to said credits map!)
Insofar that you're free to do anything you want with your section, then yes it will be something like Operation: Na Pali's credits map.
Gameplay can be whatever but eventually, if some serious imbalances develop, then some work will go into smoothing the edges, gameplay-wise (whereas the visuals - unless clearly broken, in which case there'll be technical fixes - are entirely up to whatever someone is capable of coming up with inside a week; because one can contribute more than once, one can always come back later to enhance his/her section). The aim is still to have an enjoyable experience through a mosaic-like level!

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 14:34

I'm in as well.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 17:33

Doublez-Down wrote:I'm in as well.

Awesome news, Doublez-Down!! \o/

A priori that would make your week be Saturday the 28th of February to Saturday the 7th of March. But if makemeunreal only posts his segment on the evening of the 28th and you prefer to check out what he did before starting, then we can make that Sunday the 1st to Sunday the 8th.

I'm pretty thrilled with what's coming up, to be honest! :o

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 19:24

I'll wait until he gets done with his part. Just let me know when it's my turn :-)
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 19:41

Yeah, what the hell. Throw me in too after DD. Just give me a good lead in, broski ;)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 19:45

Doublez-Down wrote:I'll wait until he gets done with his part. Just let me know when it's my turn :-)

Gotcha! :tup:

Mister_Prophet wrote:Yeah, what the hell. Throw me in too after DD. Just give me a good lead in, broski ;)

OMG OMG...

OK I'll stop. I am pretty excited though!!
Awright, Mister_Prophet, I got you on the list! :D

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 21:49

Count me in like a (mods change my name to) Magic Orange Dustbin!

This could be interesting...

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015, 23:26

SteadZ wrote:Count me in like a (mods change my name to) Magic Orange Dustbin!

This could be interesting...

SZ

Haha! Yeah man, welcome aboard!! :D Your turn will come after Mister_Prophet!

This is going to be interesting, indeed! :wink:

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 18:50

I'd like to join in too (just as long as my turn won't end up being in late May/early August, for then my exams start). May I?
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 19:03

UnrealGecko wrote:I'd like to join in too (just as long as my turn won't end up being in late May/early August, for then my exams start). May I?

You are more than welcome, UnrealGecko!! :D
And don't worry, as it happens you will be the 6th contributor: that means, your turn will be in approximately 4 weeks - so you'll still be a long way from the exam session :)
Stay tuned, your turn comes after SteadZ!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015, 21:16

Yeah let me in.
ImageImage

Next