ividyon wrote:Please decide early when the pack should be split off into Map 2; this will save tears later, in case the map turns too big/buggy and needs to be divided to conserve performance.
Loading times aren't an issue these days, so it's better to do it early than late!
Aha! you're already thinking of Map 2! hehe, well if there's popular demand for the continuation of this event... (maybe I'll get to contribute a section again that way, because I don't have enough time for mapping up until July now - the Master thesis is obviously my priority)
Concerning the possible "splitting" of the current map: like I said in rule 10, the moment a contribution pushes the entire map's node count to 35000 or more, only one more contribution will be a priori
allowed, so that we will stay around the 40000 node count "safe zone"; that's what would bring the end of the map (only polishing/bug quashing would remain). Now, like I said, if it so happened that this "one more contribution" is super small and there is another mapper or two in the waiting list desperate to make an addition, I may consider allowing them to go ahead.
But there's something new in what you're saying: it implies that there would be enough interest in the event to continue with a second map! That would be great, but I won't get ahead of myself for now and I'll just make sure that the current map gets the attention it deserves until we reach those 40000 or so nodes. Of course, if by then people are jumping up and down for this event to continue, then it'll be my pleasure to allow a second map to get started
in any case, no worries, the size of the map is being tracked to ensure it's within safety limits!