A random sentence for a random mind.

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 04 May 2015, 18:58

UBerserker wrote:Lol Prophet what idea you have though because I also had clearly in mind the backtracking aspect and the exploration of a group of areas in order to access the very last location.

My guess is he was inspired by your thing, actually!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 05 May 2015, 16:28

Well the "two portals out" works in the same line of thinking certainly. Ok so, this is what I hope I have time to add...

The Demon's Grave entrance I made has four doors. UB used one of them. I intend to use the other three. One such door will lead to a chamber with a sealed exit. There will be a place for multiple place-ables via mover (keys or perhaps totems of some kind) that interact with the door and open to what would be the level's final area. These (keys or totems) will be placed around the level, at the end of a particular section. The green path I am working on will have one, with the implication that the red path will harbor another. I will backtrack my section into The Plunge, and if I have time lay some more seeds from there for other people to build paths from. I am not sure how many (keys or totems) we should have, but I'll add space for no less than four. If we use less, we can reduce the number of spots they will be placed (something that can be removed easily, maybe pedestals). If we use more, same difference. It will be something that is easy to duplicate.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 05 May 2015, 17:10

Mister_Prophet wrote:Well the "two portals out" works in the same line of thinking certainly. Ok so, this is what I hope I have time to add...

The Demon's Grave entrance I made has four doors. UB used one of them. I intend to use the other three. One such door will lead to a chamber with a sealed exit. There will be a place for multiple place-ables via mover (keys or perhaps totems of some kind) that interact with the door and open to what would be the level's final area. These (keys or totems) will be placed around the level, at the end of a particular section. The green path I am working on will have one, with the implication that the red path will harbor another. I will backtrack my section into The Plunge, and if I have time lay some more seeds from there for other people to build paths from. I am not sure how many (keys or totems) we should have, but I'll add space for no less than four. If we use less, we can reduce the number of spots they will be placed (something that can be removed easily, maybe pedestals). If we use more, same difference. It will be something that is easy to duplicate.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

I think this sounds really good, there's enough flexibility for the concept to be implemented with more or less areas to explore, depending on how the project continues.

I am under the impression that this would make The Plunge central, which is a good thing (especially if the concept of jumping down can be implemented again - you know, a proper plunge). Apart from that, I think we can bear this idea in mind during further iterations, and see how it comes together.
Whether we're talking about keys or totems can be decided later, unless you already have an awesome key or totem design you'd like to share.
Gameplay balance might be tricky: areas left until last will still need to be challenging, even while the player is fully equipped.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Post Posted: 05 May 2015, 17:36

I don't actually, haven't really thought beyond the key/totem/item thing that needs to be found at X and placed at Y so you can open Z. I probably will tag an attach mover to a reskinned UT gem decoration (one of those many unused ones in the deco tree for .botpack) and then duplicate one for other mappers to plug in. My understanding is that we already adopted botpack for the the minigun, so this is no issue.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 05 May 2015, 18:52

Yep, botpack is no issue :tup:

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 06 May 2015, 02:50

Wouldn't a design like that run into major problems if/when you have to split the map?
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 06 May 2015, 05:04

I don't think splitting is on the radar, based on what is here. But a conclusion? Certainly.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 06 May 2015, 11:17

Yeah, based on the last upload, the node count was over 14000 (less than 15000), so it won't quite be 20000 at most when Mister_Prophet uploads his new section - I think that leaves enough margin to complete the agreed concept (of finding keys/totems to gain access to the final area). It's true, however, that this final area may have to be made in another .unr file.

Post Posted: 06 May 2015, 18:22

I am agreement with that.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 May 2015, 22:53

I had in mind the dangerous red portal zone to be the "ending" point. However it feels too dangerous to be the final destination, rather than being mysterious.
I'll probably expand on that place next time, probably the only time I'll be working around with that Starship texture set.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 07 May 2015, 06:20

The way it's looking now;

-Green Path and Red Path both lead to key items. The Green Path will have the template for these which can be duplicated by other mappers.

-Both Paths need to be visited, with the implication being that they retread to previous areas of the level (the area in the Green Path reconnects to The Plunge. No pressure to future mappers to do the same, but it came out pretty seamless for me).

-The "exit" will be located in the beginning of the Demon's Grave, in one of the four doors prior to UB's section. It cannot be opened until the key items you get in the other paths are all collected.

-I have it in my mind that there will be three key items, unless other people want more. This is open to discussion but may be better to do this when my segment is done and uploaded, so we can reevaluate the node count. The Red Path should have the other, as previously stated, and a new section could be open for another mapper to conjure an additional section, where the last will be found.

This is my intention with my segment, anyway, based on my quick math on what else we could fit into this level before the node count starts getting shifty on us. I'm keeping the Green Path low poly, but depending how the Red Path comes out we could do more, we could do less.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 May 2015, 18:50

I think the red path and the 3rd path should be turned off until the green path is done, so basically you'd still be forced to go through the Queen early.

Once you're done with the green path you can select between the red path and the, hmm, yellow path.

One of the four Demon's Grave room should just lead to a lab or whatever freely explorable filler area, one leads to the red/green path, one leads to the yellow path and then there's the final location.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 07 May 2015, 19:31

I agree with Mister_Prophet's post.

I also agree with UBerserker, considering gameplay balance and flow. That passage through where the Queen is really works great now, and I think dealing with only two separate (but ultimately both compulsory) paths after that will be easier to balance.
The freely explorable filler area is also a good idea, as things on the side stimulate exploration.

EDIT: and with all that I think potential participants are still relatively free to do their thing while also having a vision to guide them.

Post Posted: 08 May 2015, 07:21

Last 24 hours for me. I may have to cut some corners, some RL stuff has taken up my last two days worth of free time I thought I would have.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 08 May 2015, 10:06

Mister_Prophet wrote:Last 24 hours for me. I may have to cut some corners, some RL stuff has taken up my last two days worth of free time I thought I would have.

It's cool :tup:
Details, eye-candy can always be added later in sections that are a bit too plain.
Good luck with the last stretch!

Previous Next