Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[SP-U227] Unreal World: The Malevolent Curse (WORK IN PROGRESS)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Dr. Walter
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: [SP-U227] Unreal World: The Malevolent Curse (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015, 22:40

UNREAL WORLD: THE MALEVOLENT CURSE

By Dr. Walter

Information:

Ahoy-hoy and Salutations! This is my first singleplayer campaign for Unreal Gold 227i . At present, the project is a work in progress.

Allow yourself to read on for orientation on the particulars!

Synopsis:

Decades have passed since the daring escape of Prisoner 849 from the planet Na Pali (also known as Gryphon), where much has changed over the years.
The grip the Skaarj once had suffered considerably, with many garrisons facing increasing rebellions, both internally and externally. For once, hope was instilled in the minds of many enervated Nali.

However, a new threat would soon plague the planet once again...

Following an influx of space vessel refinements, Mercenary Farmers & Research teams saw several successful landings and departures from Na Pali.
One special operations group in particular would hold a peculiar interest in the planet. The team, composed of Yhen Siwel, Greng Hierr, Gunter Hierr and the deeply feared and sadistic Mercenary Commander known as "The Warden", saw great potential in using the planet to house private research projects. Using their influence and mysterious benefactors, they gained extensive funding and support from the reckless Mercenary General, Hal Zionus Xecktos, the son of Master Consul Hydroth Zionus Xecktos of the Mercenary Empire.

A small war would ensue against the Mercenaries and remnants of the Skaarj forces on the planet. The Skaarj were quickly dispatched from the overwhelming strength of the Mercenaries. Vast developments would now begin...

As more years passed, sections of the planet would be scarred from the industrial evolution. A dark, malevolent presence would grow more powerful each passing day.

This leads to the present. You are a Alfa, a Mercenary who awakes to find himself imprisoned, being transported to the Heljin Depot, a large Mercenary facility governed by Meson Heljin and The Warden. Memories of the past are unknown, strong amnesia has impelled and bullet wounds incite great torment... but one memory remains clear, almost instinctively clear, a message from the past... STOP THE WARDEN AT ALL COSTS.

Factions:

(or other known knowledge):

The Mercenary Empire
Industrialists, commanders and wealthy traders compose the upper hierarchy of the Mercenary Empire. Segments of Na Pali have been tainted to bitterly contest the state of the Mercenary Homeworld. Their military and technological strength is unmatched and they are now a feared presence across the galaxy.

The Cabal
A Mercenary faction composed of various Military Commanders and Researchers that has considerable influence within The Mercenary Empire. Knowledge of the group or its existence is not well known, but it is rumoured to be directed by The Warden himself.

The Renegades
The Renegades are a pirate group composed of ex-veteran Mercenaries. They will kill anyone and anything that stands in their way of profit, with their military experience making them highly dangerous. Be warned.

Lost Jury
Once thought as an urban myth across the galaxy, the Lost Jury were renowned as psychopaths and sadists that were suspected to be involved with many unsolved gruesome murders and kidnappings of various sentient lifeforms. Their existence is still debated, but certain "eyewitnesses" describe them as Mercenaries with very distinct, disturbing masks and motions.

The "Benefactors"
An enigmatic group supporting the Mercenary research operations on Na Pali. Their true race, identity and motives are completely unknown.

The Skaarj Empire
Despite suffering heavy losses against their skirmish with the Mercenaries, several groups of Skaarj continue to conduct small guerrilla operations on Na Pali. As always, they remain resentful towards all other species they deem inferior to them.

Gore Talon Elite Unit
A sub-group of the Skaarj Empire. The Gore Talon Elite Unit is a group composed of elite military skaarj units. It is known that they command a cult devoted to the legendary Skaarj, Skotroth.

Skotroth Cultists
A sub-group of the Skaarj Empire. The Skotroth Cultists worship a legendary Skaarj known as Skotroth.

The Ice Skaarj
A sub-group of the Skaarj Empire. The Ice Skaarj are composed of elder Skaarj units and are located in areas with colder climates. Since they have endured harsh conditions for the majority of their lives, they are stronger and more dangerous than normal Skaarj.

Headhunters
A group of Skaarj bounty hunters under the command of the legendary hunter known as Andronicus. Members of the group have various cybernetic implants to augment their combat abilities, rendering them extremely dangerous to those within their targets.

Sketnaz
This secretive militarised faction of Skaarj is rumoured to be conducting strange activities on Na Pali. Very little is known about the group, other than their hostility towards other Skaarj.

Characters:

Name: Alfa
Race: Mercenary
Classification: Prisoner

Information:
The protagonist of the campaign. Currently awaiting imprisonment at the Heljin Facility.

Name: "The Warden"
Classification: Commanding Governor

Information:
The infamous "Warden" first appeared decades ago during Mercenary and Skaarj conflicts in a neighbouring star system, where he supposedly infiltrated and destroyed an upgraded Skaarj Mothership single-handedly. This seemingly impossible accomplishment was met with astonishment by military officials at the time, who immediately ordered his capture for questioning regarding these actions. Despite extensive searching, only a message left behind by The Warden was found in which he criticised the poor command structure and strategies utilised against the Skaarj in the conflicts.

Similar incidents would continue throughout time and many Mercenaries now revered The Warden as an unstoppable force against the Skaarj. The Warden would become more prominent in presence when he appeared alongside General Hal Zionus Xecktos. Hal would then appoint The Warden as the commanding officer for various garrisons and immediately nullified all official investigations pertaining to The Warden and his history.

With an army under his command, The Warden would continue to further his reputation in terms of ruthlessness and sadism. One infamous incident in particular involved the destruction of a Moon Colony, where an entire moon was eradicated under orders of The Warden to quell restless insurgents within the main city. Despite public outcry towards the slaughter of thousands of civilians in the Colony, all charges against The Warden were suddenly dropped. The mysterious "Warden" continues to remain as a controversial figure in the Mercenary Empire.

Name: Gunter Hierr
Classification: Personal Bodyguard

Information:
The towering brute known as Gunter Hierr acts as a bodyguard for the Warden. Gunter suffers from heavy brain damage from experimental physiological drugs by Yhen Siwel to increase his resistance and power. What Gunter lacks in intelligence, he preponderantly makes up for in extraordinary brutal strength.

Name: Greng Hierr
Classification: Enforcer

Information:
Greng Hierr is the younger brother of Gunter Hierr and follows orders from the Warden without question. Although he is much weaker than his brother in terms of strength, Greng's extended training with special biological weapons make him a dangerous opponent on any battlefield.

Name: Yhen Siwel
Classification: Science Director

Information:
Yhen Siwel is the Chief Scientist in charge of private research operations at the Zionus Science District on Na Pali. He is a close ally to the Warden and is suspected to partake in illegal research within his laboratories.

Name: Hal Zionus Xecktos
Classification: Military General

Information:
Unlike many Generals of the Mercenary Empire who rise through the ranks by proving themselves on the battlefield or displaying substantial strategic competence, Hal ascended to officership due to his fathers reputation alone. Hal has displayed great amounts of recklessness and carelessness within his career, earning him little respect amongst his peers. Despite his behaviour, his powerful position allows him to hold considerable influence; where he most recently utilised his resources to build the massive Zionus Facility on Na Pali.

Hal also continues to further engage in other activities questionable to those in his standing in what he describes as "artistic pursuits", where it now seems as if generalship has lost all meaning to him.

Name: Elta Cryox
Classification: Cryogenicist

Information:
Elta Cryox is a well known Mercenary scientist due to his developments and research pertaining to Cryogenic weaponry. It is known that he now conducts various experiments in his underwater facility known as "Cryox 6F1C" somewhere on Na Pali.

Name: Meson Heljin
Classification: Facility Invigilator

Information:
Meson Heljin is the co-commanding officer of the Heljin Facility alongside The Warden. Meson has a reputation for strict authoritarianism and cruelty towards any prisoners that are unlucky enough to be held in the underground Detention Centre.

<More updates to follow soon>

______

Features:

-Over 150 (and growing) new unique pawn variations as part of the xPawns package I have made. They hold many new features and adjustments, such as the ability to use up to 10 new projectile based attacks that can be heavily customised (Speed, accuracy, number, delay, ect.), health checks, shield settings and enhancement to use keypoint patrol points and alarm points that support several new options (Such as the ability to create a random patrol).
-xPawns also includes several fixes as well, such as allowing Skaarj Trooper classes to properly use PlayRangedAttack behaviours (this is important for stationary firing situations / scripted situations.), fixed AlCapowned's Mercenary Troopers from always charging and ignoring whether they can fire in invurnable states plus other additions, allowing Mercenary Commandos to use mixed attack animations and other miscellaneous fixes.
-New sounds & music from various games (these will be amended to the credits list soon).
-New maps! Well, this one is rather obvious.
-Several new triggers, new thing factory / creature factory that has many new randomisation factors / multiple creature entries / random alarms, orders, ect.
-Some 227 specific features are also utilised, such as emitters / weather effects, distance fog, projectors and static meshes.
-More I shall elaborate on later!

Screeonshots:

Downloads:

Not available at this time. Beta testers may be called upon.

Chapters:

Chapter 0: Reborn (Prologue)

Chapter 1: Brutal Corruption

Chapter 2: Towards the Inferno

Chapter 3: Sands of Demise

Chapter 4: Institute of Plagues

Chapter 5: Sorrow of Delusion

Chapter 6: A Cold Devoid

Chapter 7: Resurrection of Malevolence

Credits:

This list may be updated in the future.

-Dr. Walter (Main developer, mapping, scripting, texturing, modelling, sounds, etc.)

-227 Patch Developers (Many new features and scripting enhancements. Some of the xPawns features would not be possible without them.)

-AlCapowned (Skeletal Mercenaries, new skins, MercPlayerUT, new HUD textures and features.)

-SFJake (New projectile classes, NPC weapons. xPawns base classes use several SF features as well, plus additions. The HUD in the mod will also be a modified version of the SFHud. )

-.:..: (227 botpack conversion and AI features included in SFJake's modification.)

-Creavion (Decoration/foliage textures.)

-ShadowMan (ShadowMans nature pack.)

-Higor (XC_LinkedNavs.)

-diamond (Property Changer.)
Last edited by Dr. Walter on 22 May 2017, 02:54, edited 7 times in total.
????? ? ? ? ????? ????? ? ? ? ?????

User avatar UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [SP-U227] Unreal World: The Malevolent Curse (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015, 22:55

Man looking at shot 12 it's like my EXU2 conversion of Cryox comes into my head because barely anybody uses those DecayedS texs.

Cool though, you play as a Merc "Merc" or as a Merc "Human"? (I suppose Merc trooper)

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015, 03:29

Just in case you're not aware: Spetsnaz on Wikipedia

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you found cool-looking Skaarj skins named "spetsnaz", which sounds alien enough, and decided to go with it despite the Russian flags? Or are these supposed to be some kind of Russian-Skaarj hybrid people? :D
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

User avatar Dr. Walter

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015, 21:08

UBerserker wrote:Man looking at shot 12 it's like my EXU2 conversion of Cryox comes into my head because barely anybody uses those DecayedS texs.

I do feel those Red / Jupiter DecayedS textures are underused and I am using them as the theme for The Warden's personal sections.

UBerserker wrote:Cool though, you play as a Merc "Merc" or as a Merc "Human"? (I suppose Merc trooper)

Yes, Mercenary as in Mercenary. The player class shall use the MercPlayerUT model with small modifications. Mostly just the height and scale so that it matches the classic player models.

ividyon wrote:Just in case you're not aware: Spetsnaz on Wikipedia

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you found cool-looking Skaarj skins named "spetsnaz", which sounds alien enough, and decided to go with it despite the Russian flags? Or are these supposed to be some kind of Russian-Skaarj hybrid people? :D

Ha! I am perfectly aware of the real Spetsnaz. The skins are of my own creation and the reason for their presence is described in this post of mine:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=283&start=1170#p70247

Others may also find this faction perhaps a tad peculiar... if only you knew what else I had/have planned.

For example, what are your thoughts on
► Show Spoiler

In short, I do not take things too seriously, but somewhat seriously!

-Dr. Walter

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015, 03:08

I particularly like the classic lighting. Dunno, just kinda pops :)

Will wait for this one :tup:

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015, 19:45

I just noticed the contrast between the green and the purple lighting on one of those shots, now that you mention it. Somebody is putting that color theory to good use! :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015, 19:59

It's looking really good so far! Also, thanks for using my stuff. I was hoping it would be used for a Mercenary campaign eventually. :D

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015, 20:26

This sounds like a project with lots of fresh content. Looking forward to it!

I have just an annotation regarding...
Dr. Walter wrote:-Creavion (Decoration/foliage textures.)

If you mean the plants and stuff that came for example with his Kamah, nothing was made by him. These are the sections in his ReadMe that give the proper credits: :)
Creavion wrote:-Daniel "KaMi" for the 2 tropical meshes (afaik I converted those 2 meshes from an "official"
bonuspack 2 map by Epic, but regardless I credit him also)
- proof ... for the .. huge amount of tropical meshes.
(Honor to whom honoris due)
- sinot for his Far cry AGM, I used .. I guess 2 textures there (great stuff)

Woops... now that I look over this again, you wrote textures! My bad, those are indeed converted by Creavion, though the original sources were done by someone else (mostly Epic according to the ReadMe). Sorry for my nitpicking!
Last edited by editor Dave on 01 Sep 2015, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
The Unforchers will come again soon...

User avatar UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015, 20:54

(delete post)
Last edited by UBerserker on 31 Aug 2015, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015, 20:55

Yes, Mercenary as in Mercenary. The player class shall use the MercPlayerUT model with small modifications. Mostly just the height and scale so that it matches the classic player models.

Nice, we have a Skaarj pack and a Mercenary pack in the works then, cool!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015, 06:16

This ish looks fun as hell. Also I love the wintermode Skaarj troopers!

User avatar Dr. Walter

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015, 04:02

Mister_Prophet wrote:I particularly like the classic lighting. Dunno, just kinda pops :)

Will wait for this one :tup:

ividyon wrote:I just noticed the contrast between the green and the purple lighting on one of those shots, now that you mention it. Somebody is putting that color theory to good use! :tup:

Thank you Mister_Prophet and ividyon! Yes, I do indeed favour a bit of colour to give maps a unique, classical themed personality. Hopefully it is not too eccentric in choice!

AlCapowned wrote:It's looking really good so far! Also, thanks for using my stuff. I was hoping it would be used for a Mercenary campaign eventually. :D

Much obliged! I must say, you did a terrific job with the Skeletal Mercenaries and player model! Also, your Skeletal Slith player model may be utilised for a future project of mine...

editor Dave wrote:This sounds like a project with lots of fresh content. Looking forward to it!

Thanks! I want to bring about a large amount of variety for my modification.

editor Dave wrote:Woops... now that I look over this again, you wrote textures! My bad, those are indeed converted by Creavion, though the original sources were done by someone else (mostly Epic according to the ReadMe). Sorry for my nitpicking!

Yes, I was indeed referencing the CrevDecoGras.utx package. I may also take a look at the other decoration package now that you have mentioned it (I don't think that one is in my archives).

UBerserker wrote:Nice, we have a Skaarj pack and a Mercenary pack in the works then, cool!

Thank you! I hope it does not disappoint.

Buff Skeleton wrote:This ish looks fun as hell. Also I love the wintermode Skaarj troopers!

Thanks, the gameplay is going to be the primary focus for all of the maps and I am certainly trying to make everything as enjoyable as possible! I am glad you like the Spetsnaz skins as well. They also come in woodland and desert camouflage variations. Officers and biological variants also have camouflage variations but with their own unique skin identifiers as well (Red for officers like the one in the screenshot and green for biological / pulse).

Other unique Spetsnaz units such as Commandos and Ninjas do not have locale themed skins, since they are extremely dangerous and require to be easily identifiable.

____

While I am here, I will show images of some of the new enemies. Their name and health are both displayed by the updated SFHud (I have modified it to remove accessed none issues, range and adaptation for 227 specific functions, forced health, name colours, display carcass name, etcetera).

I should also mention that the new pawns use new carcass classes. The new carcasses no longer disappear unless the total number of carcasses exceed the Zone's MaxCarcasses value. Horseflies will no longer appear as well. They can still be gibbed, unless a special non-gib variant is used.

There are many, many more new pawns and skins, including several level specific variants as well (Be it MyLevel classes or modifications of base classes).

In other news, I plan to release the modification in chapters after testing from a group of beta testers and then linking the final map of each chapter to the first of the next until all chapters are complete.

I was hoping to release the short prologue chapter soon, but I have currently been redesigning the said specific maps.

In any case, if you are interested in joining the Beta Testing Group, then please leave a message in this topic and I will consider you for the team! There are no guarantees as to when the beta release of the prologue chapter will be ready.

Regards,

-Dr. Walter

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015, 04:10

I dig the new wrist shields on the troopers. Intended to do something similar with new trooper classes in RD. Have you considered masking them and adding translucency?

User avatar Dr. Walter

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015, 04:21

Mister_Prophet wrote:I dig the new wrist shields on the troopers. Intended to do something similar with new trooper classes in RD. Have you considered masking them and adding translucency?

I'm glad you like the new red shields for the Gore Talon / Elite Troopers! SFJake is responsible for that particular new shield firetexture variant. As for masked and translucent features, I will definitely experiment with such additions!

Regards,

-Dr. Walter

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015, 06:49

I won't have access to my PC for a week or so, but I could make a mercenary-themed HUD pretty quickly using the item renders I used for Resurgence's HUD and some mercenary base textures if you're interested.

Next