A random sentence for a random mind.

[CANCELLED] [227] The Star Shoal Chronicles: Bullrush Nightmares

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: [CANCELLED] [227] The Star Shoal Chronicles: Bullrush Nightmares

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016, 10:57

Star Shoal ChroniclesBULLRUSH NIGHTMARES
Details:
    Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity was supposed to be my last Unreal project, but for some reason I felt like opening up the editor. Maybe it was because Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity was absolutely terrible. This level will be released by the end of March 2016, whether it is ready or not. I have neither the time or patience for another year and half long project.

Story Hook:
    You know that wreckage you said you found? Jerry says you made it up. Your dumb ass nearly had me fooled.

I know what you are thinking, but forget it. There is nothing for us beyond what you see here. Nothing. So you should forget about whatever junk out there. It's worthless.

You're going back out again anyway aren't you? How many days are you going to waste searching? Maybe do us all a favor this time and feed yourself to the devilfish. Better than your useless ass coming back.

Features:
  • One level
  • Better scope control
  • Usage of spellcheck
  • Many instances of Plant1
  • Less broken stuff
  • firetrucks and trashbag

Attention:
    Bullrush Nightmares has been cancelled. Details to come shortly.
Last edited by ebd on 12 Sep 2016, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: [227] The Star Shoal Chronicles: Bullrush Nightmares

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016, 13:51

ebd wrote:This level will be released by the end of March 2016, whether it is ready or not. I have neither the time or patience for another year and half long project.

Famous last words :V

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016, 17:05

ebd wrote:
    [...] You're going back out again anyway aren't you? How many days are you going to waste searching? Maybe do us all a favor this time and feed yourself to the devilfish. Better than your useless ass coming back.

Happy days!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016, 03:01

Unfortunately it must be delayed. I have to finish up some stuff for work tonight, and work late tomorrow, and the night after that as well. (all unpaid overtime incidentally... the joys of being salaried)

So I've made the decision to postpone the release even further than just a few days. If it isn't coming out on time anyway, I might as well try to get more of what I originally had planned in. As it currently stands the level is over and done with in ten minutes or less.

User avatar ebd

Subject: Re: [CANCELLED] [227] The Star Shoal Chronicles: Bullrush Nightmares

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016, 07:12

This project's been pretty dead for a while, but I thought I would give a proper farewell and postmortem.

The Star Shoal Chronicles: Bullrush Nightmares has been cancelled.

Why did this happen?
    Because I am garbage. Duh. Well, it is more than that. The project didn't really have scope problems. If anything, the scope was too small. As per its original scope it would have been a 15 minute playthrough maybe. Is that really a good experience? I don't really know...

So what really went wrong is I hit a blocker in the form of 3ds2unr.exe. Namely no what I tried to do I couldn't get some animations to import correctly, which meant the custom weapon I had planned, which was pretty important to the gameplay I wanted, couldn't be done, or at least not done right. This killed my motivation to keep going. If the experience was going to be so brief I didn't want it to be half-assed. I spent weeks fidgeting with it, trying everything short of re-writing the program. If it was going to take that much, then I could never care enough to do it.

Also maybe I'm just tired of working with such old stuff. It has been a long, long time since I started unrealed for the first time in 2002.

So my sincerest apologies to everyone, but this project just wasn't meant to be.

For those interested, here are some shots of the swamp area (with the titular bulrushes).
http://imgur.com/a/mt7hU

Speaking of all that, I've been wondering: is there any interest in uploading all of my various scraps and unfinished works? Would anyone find any of it useful for their own projects? It would come with my blessing to use it.

Would include works from:
  • Bullrush Nightmares
  • The Oll Stone
  • The Flight to Kindri
  • DM-EBD-Concrete2 (actually this level as pretty much fully finished, just never released for some reason... community seemed dead so I let it be.)
  • and a lot of other garbage

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016, 20:30

I'm sorry to hear it's cancelled. I like your maps and would love to see what else you made, even if it's not finished.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016, 21:48

Aww :(

I would just like to quickly say that I really like your style in general (and those screenshots of the swamp area are great, best swamp I've seen within the whole of Unreal/UT), and if you really decide to stop mapping, then YES it would be awesome if you could release your unfinished works, on the other hand give it some time first, perhaps, before making a final decision. Maybe you'll find some desire to get back at it again... just maybe :)

Maybe someone can help with the issues with that weapon you mentioned? I suck at that sort of thing, but I'm sure some other folks around here have the skills, and might lend a hand...

In any case, great work on the swamp!!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016, 17:47

Very sad to see this cancelled. Interested to get the unfinished works, as I'm always tinkering with some of the older UT maps that have flaws (BSP bugs etc.) so I'm really intersted in some of those.
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar UberPwnr
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016, 04:48

I'm sad to see this cancelled. played it just yesterday seemed to have potential. I'd also like those scraps you were talking about, idk how well I'd be able to use them but I'm sure I can find a use for them in my maps somewhere.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016, 23:02

UberPwnr wrote:I'm sad to see this cancelled. played it just yesterday seemed to have potential. I'd also like those scraps you were talking about, idk how well I'd be able to use them but I'm sure I can find a use for them in my maps somewhere.

I'll put something out today with everything unreleased and various other rarities from me, including works dating back to 2003.

Edit:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4113