Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[U227] Chronicles of Weedrow Episode 2 [Released]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: [U227] Chronicles of Weedrow Episode 2 [Released]

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016, 16:41

In 2011 a collaborative speedmapping project (with each entrant getting a few days each) was started that eventually became The Chronicles of Weedrow Volume 1, work on a sequel was started soon after. However, the project ran into various technical issues and member disappearances that led it to becoming dormant. While adding to it was eventually given up on, over time work was put in to bring what's there to a release worthy state, and now Weedrow 2 finally sees release.

The original Weedrow explored something different to standard Unreal gameplay, and Weedrow 2 takes that to the next level, with full use of 227 features and ebd's Firetrucks coding that adds many new ways to interact with the world.

Story:

Weedrow and pals (and The Bloblet) are enjoying a relaxing holiday break in a beautiful lakeside resort. Things go wrong when Takk goes missing and Weedrow finds a note on the door of her room:

With no other option available to them, Weedrow and company decide to check out the dinner party...

Download

Oldunreal: http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/Weedrow2V1.zip
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wde9wlsse9qfk ... 1.zip?dl=0

Please see the readme for information on certain issues. It's also highly recommended to have played the original CoW set first: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf625sasmq9sd ... 2.zip?dl=0

Screenshots:

Team Members:

Frieza
Jet v4.3.5
Semfry
Turboman
Qtit
ebd
Ividyon
GTD-Carthage
Shivaxi
editor Dave
Dannster

This is for the release version of 227i. Other versions may or may not function correctly. This is a single player campaign; coop or netplay is not supported. Please do not override the game type or a lot of stuff will not work properly.
Formerly Mman

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [U227] Chronicles of Weedrow 2 Looking for Beta Testers

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016, 21:11

I'm excited the sequel's on the verge of a release! If no one has volunteered as a tester yet, I'd like to look into it. However, I probably can't speak too much about gameplay balance.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016, 23:15

It's not really a spoiler to say that, like Weedrow 1, there's pretty much no "traditional" Unreal gameplay.

I'll note that the first testing version is pretty much ready now, and all that's left is making sure it's packaged right, so I'll PM it (to you and anyone else who chooses to test) when that's checked.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016, 23:24

The testing version is ready now, so I'll send a link soon (and it's still open for more testers). I've spiced up the OP with some story and images, and I'll probably add some more later.

► Show Spoiler
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016, 23:29

Wow that's some modern architecture there, gj
ImageImage

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [U227] Chronicles of Weedrow Episode 2 Looking for Beta Testers

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 20:12

Skaarj in a Hawaiian shirt?

Oh, must have that!

User avatar Semfry

Subject: Re: [U227] Chronicles of Weedrow Episode 2 [Released]

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016, 23:54

Weedrow 2 is released! There are some issues (see the readme) but at this point there doesn't seem to be a good fix for them and all the fixable big problems have been sorted. I'll probably add a little more background to the OP later.

Here's the (first) download link, and it's in the OP too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wde9wlsse9qfk ... 1.zip?dl=0
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 00:35

Congratulations on this major release!! :D

I'll have to play Episode 1 first though. These campaigns obviously have a very different flavour from your typical Unreal fare - in a really cool way :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 01:42

Semfry wrote:

Wow that Skaarj really needs to lay off the tubs of ice cream :D

Also, are they wearing a Hawaiian shirt? LOL

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016, 11:44

Added a little more to the OP, to provide more context for those who don't know about the project (and, looking back, I see most of this has been lost on the public forum).
Formerly Mman

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016, 04:06

I've only just started, but without a doubt this has the best introduction ever.

Edit: Finished it. It was really, really good, but I'm not sure I would play it again because good horror is something I tend to only experience once. It was like Resident Evil meets Unreal, and it worked really well. It's possibly the most immersive Unreal pack to date, and definitely one of the scariest.

Great job everyone! \o/

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016, 17:22

Can't load 2nd level

Critical: UGameEngine::GetMaxTickRate
Critical: EnforceTickRate
Critical: MainLoop
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016, 17:37

I guess you've tried more than once? If it doesn't work altogether then I'm not sure what could be causing it without having someone more experienced with the engine/227 looking at it. Like the readme says I did have an issue with one computer having crashes in map 3 even though I've never had any on my main mapping one (and it seems no-one else has), so it seems there might be some element of instability between different Unreal 227 installations. Unfortunately that doesn't help with fixing it :( .
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016, 17:44

Ya every time I try, no matter how, it always crashes. Can only open in the editor.
Map 3 loads but it's ultra slow.

I'm not even sure at this point what Unreal version / 227 version I do have. This is why I feel so uneasy about these unofficial patches.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016, 21:10

It's made for the newest version of 227 so if you don't have it then that would probably be the most likely solution in this case.
Formerly Mman

Next