Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[Released] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [Released] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 06:14

I am using the default Upak. That CAR in your screenshot does not appear to have a high-res skin at all!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 15:34

I dug pretty hard into the CAR code and I see the problem. Really what needs to be done is to code an entire replacement weapon for the CAR. The defaults for the new pickupview and 3rd person view meshes aren't replicating right. I'm coding that now but it will likely be tomorrow before I get it done. I'll post back.

EDIT:
Fixed. Sent you the updated u file and it's also updated on my server.

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 22:26

gopostal wrote:I dug pretty hard into the CAR code and I see the problem. Really what needs to be done is to code an entire replacement weapon for the CAR. The defaults for the new pickupview and 3rd person view meshes aren't replicating right. I'm coding that now but it will likely be tomorrow before I get it done. I'll post back.

EDIT:
Fixed. Sent you the updated u file and it's also updated on my server.

The CAR looks fine now, but I just noticed there are problems with the Grenade Launcher and Rocket Launcher. Neither of the pickup model skins are being replaced when I summon them. Also, if I pick up the weapons and throw them, the skins are replaced, but assigned incorrectly. Finally, the Rocket Launcher "tabs" that stick out (the part on top for aiming and the part on the side) are black.

The RL and GL might need the same fix that you gave to the CAR.

Edit: Actually, I realized that none of the weapon pickups have HD skins when I summon them. Is there any code to replace spawning inventory? If not, then won't a lot of these skins fail to be replaced when the game spawns them?

Edit #2: So I guess this mutator only replaces items that are already placed in the map upon starting? I just tested Dasa Cellars when the Krall are spawned, and they do not have HD skins. This is kind of bad that anything that spawns after the map starts will not have an HD skin.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016, 03:19

I understand your concern but you have to also accept that adding all these odd/rare happenings to the code to be fixed directly impacts how harsh this is going to be on servers. I designed this to be lightweight and low-impact but it's turning into way more than it needs to be. For instance the cost of fixing the CAR is really more than what you gain by being able to see the 1st person skin. To be able to have the skin work across all the models I had to script a new CAR, fix the mesh, assign the HD textures, then replace it across the maps via mutator. This has the potential to break maps and cause unintended consequences if a map needs a particular weapon and I'm replacing it.

For example there is an MH map that needs you to cut a door open with the chainsaw. If you replace the default chainsaw with something else (even a subclass) then you can't get the door open. That's the stuff that worries me.

I'm going to stop tweaking on this. In fact if it were me I'd consider rolling back from this last update I sent you and using the last one where the CAR wasn't being actively replaced. It's risky to do a full replace when the pickup model is already HD skinned just so you can see it in 1st.

I know you are a perfectionist but take time to consider cost versus reward. Online play involves replication and that makes it a very different animal when you are modding. You often can't have it all because of the limits of this ancient game.

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016, 04:37

Everything I tell you is merely me just pointing out bugs; no more, no less. I wasn't going to make an online version in the first place, so it's cool you are doing all this. I just wasn't sure if you knew about objects not getting HD skins when they were spawned. In RTNPUE for example, that would actually exclude maybe about 15% of the skins, since a great deal of them are spawned via creature factories and spawnpoints. If it is too much of a performance hit, then don't worry about it. You can roll back the CAR if you want; it's whatever you think makes this the most compatible online. I was only giving you feedback because I thought you wanted me to inform you of any problems I see. As a person who is not familiar with online coding, I am giving you all the feedback without knowing what goes in to fixing it. In the end, you can choose what you feel is optimal for the server. If you think it is in the best interest of a server to leave certain functions out, then by all means - do it. 8)

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Incompatibility between UnrealHD Skins and RocketsUT fun mode

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018, 02:14

Just a brief note to report an incompatibility between these (awesome) HD skins and RocketsUT fun mode. I haven't done a whole lot of testing on this, e.g. I haven't tested regular RocketsUT (just the separate "fun mode" mutator), but I have tested this on several different maps in separate installs of UT, and the result is always the same. If "Unreal HD: Skins" and "RocketsUT Fun Mode" are both in the Oldskool mutator list, your map will begin loading and then always crash. You'll get an error message blaming whichever one of the two mutators happened to come first in the list.

Not that a whole lot of other folks (probably nobody except me) is using RocketsUT fun mode in UnrealSP; I like to summon the different RocketsUT launchers instead of picking up the standard launcher or eightball, and I love the greater rate of fire that the "fun mode" confers. Probably noone else cares. Just posting this for the record.

Previous