This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[Released] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [Beta Testing] Unreal HD Skins

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 14:44

It shouldn't take up more than a few hours. Never did for me at least.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [UT] [227] Unreal HD Skins

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016, 18:36

Released! Check the first post.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [Released] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 00:38

Bleeder and I...mostly Bleeder....BUT I HELPED!!! created a little mutator to fix the HDSkinsMut to work online without actually adding any of the server packages to your unreal.ini. It all works client side, server runs the mutator, and it will work for those who have the HDSkins mod and textures installed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu1dvki7uj17g ... FIX.u?dl=1 Add HDTXMPFIX.FixMutator to your server's mutator list. You don't need any server packages or anything else, not from this fix and not from the HD Skins mod at all.

EDIT: Sorry, Bleeder lied XD and I re-tested really quick, you actually DO need HDTXMPFIX in your Server Packages, but that's it, only 2kb, instead of you know, 600 MB for the textures haha, though trying to run it like that causes clients to crash anyway, another reason Bleeder and I made this. ServerPackages=HDTXMPFIX. Again, will just work client side for those who already have the mod installed, so its nice, but the server does have to be running it for you to be able to see it.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 03:50

Awesome, thanks Shivaxi and Bleeder! I will package this and put it up as a file on the Moddb web site once I have the time. I'll create a short readme file crediting you and bleeder, as well as instructions on how to use online. Gopostal should be pleased with this...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016, 21:52

ImageImage

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016, 22:02

Thanks for that link. It's amusing that people still use my Quake waypoint pack for the Frikbots, and actually know who I am across different games (in the comments section). I always thought I was a ghost. :lol:

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016, 15:06

LH, I emailed you the online mod for you to look at/test/release. It's running on my coop server right now if anyone wants to see it in action. If you open voting you'll see an HDSkins demo map at the top of vote. That will let you look at most of the decorations in one spot.

Guys, if you use this on your server please be sure to actually readme the readme :P I can see setups where this could be server-intensive and so I built in the ability for admins to scale it back if they needed.

OK, back to being a ghost. I'm exhausted lol.

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016, 19:01

Hey gopostal, I have been reading your e-mails and keeping up to date, but work has been super busy lately. I will likely have time over the weekend to test it, and will try to make a report when I do have a chance. :)

Thank you again for all your hard work on this!

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016, 17:38

You truly outdid yourself on these. I feel like I'm looking at a Source-engine game or something those textures are so crisp. \o/

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 22:43

Did some final coding and the I-Think-It's-release version is running on my coop server. It was passworded earlier so my apologies. I'd seen a couple of peeps try to join but I needed to work out the weapon skin replacements for player-held models (and some other issues). It's all fixed now and I don't see any issues with this build. Password is off and all files are redirected now. Have fun :D

I'll do a final playthrough tonight LH then if there is nothing I can find I'll send you the u file.

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 02:18

I just tried joining the server again, and found a few new problems:
-The rabbit and razorjack do not have HD skins.
-The CAR skin does not fit the 1st person mesh properly. Yrex and I had to do a lot of work to get this working properly, because the 3rd person mesh skin assignments are different than the 1st person mesh skin assignments (and the game carries them over).
-I got a loooot of lag when I walked in to the monster room. Every monster I looked at, my system took a big performance hit. I don't get this offline, so I'm not sure why it happened on the server.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 05:01

You probably aren't going to like this but here goes...

I'm not sure why the rabbit isn't working online. It probably needs a relevancy call so the updated skin is sent to the player. More on that in a moment.

RazorJack is fixed.

As for the CAR, well this is the skinning code I'm using:

Code: Select all

if( Inv.PlayerViewMesh == mesh'CAR1st')
         {
            Inv.PlayerViewMesh  = mesh'CAR1stHD';
            if( Inv.MultiSkins[1] == None )
            {
               Inv.MultiSkins[1] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJnewcar1';
                 Inv.MultiSkins[2] = texture'HDSkins2.JCar1st0';
                 Inv.MultiSkins[3] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJnewcar3';
                 Inv.MultiSkins[4] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJnewcar2';
                 Inv.MultiSkins[5] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';
              }

}

if( Inv.ThirdPersonMesh == mesh'CAR3rd')
         {
            Inv.ThirdPersonMesh  = mesh'CAR3rdHD';
            Inv.MultiSkins[1] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';
              Inv.MultiSkins[2] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';
              Inv.MultiSkins[3] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';
              Inv.MultiSkins[4] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';
              Inv.MultiSkins[5] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';

}

It comes directly from your code and also when I look at the Car1st in the editor it is properly skinned. Where is the issue at that you are seeing?

Lastly...yeah I saw that lag too. I had the same thing happen with the Killing Floor Christmas monsters I imported. Your textures are so huge they are choking the game when used online. In fact your textures are so large it crashes my editor if I try to open the utx. The server can handle one or two of the monsters without a big hit but once you get several together it's just unplayable. I'd guess it's an issue with generating the proper mipmapping and starting with a ton of uber large textures makes this overwhelming for the engine.

There's a couple of options. Since I made all this modular you could still release it and just disable the scriptedpawn retexturing with a stern warning to admins about enabling it. Alternatively you could resize the monster textures to 512 and compile them into a second utx. In fact if you would allow it I'd really like to resize all the textures down to 512 and create a much smaller and easier-on-the-server utx. I can't export the textures directly from the utx or I'd have already tried this. When I try certain skins crash wotGREAL. I've even tried command line batch export and it crashes the engine about 15 skins in.

Anyway it's up to you. If you want me to remake this with 512 textures so it's much smoother online I will. If you want to just leave it then that's cool. I do dearly love the look of the mod as it is but if you want this to play smoothly and be used online then it really needs to be toned down a good bit.

I returned my server to the Christmas mod loadout too until you decide what you want to do. It's easy to restore the HDSkin testing so no worries.

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 07:39

It comes directly from your code and also when I look at the Car1st in the editor it is properly skinned. Where is the issue at that you are seeing?

The server seems to have reverted back to low-res skins, so I am unable to test it right now. However, I can tell you what I think the problem is. Unreal will carry weapon skins over from the pickup model to the 1st person model, so Yrex and I (mostly Yrex) created the new code that replaced the CAR 1st person and 3rd person meshes with new meshes that contained skin reassignments. Either your code is not using the new meshes that came with HDSkins, or the skins are not being assigned correctly because of Unreal transferring them from the pickup model to the 1st person model. The CAR may appear fine in the editor, but in-game the skins are being transferred over differently, or the meshes are not being replaced. Here is the original code for the CAR:

//RTNP CAR
   if(A.Mesh.Name == 'CARpickup')
   {
      if(A.Skin          == none &&
        A.MultiSkins[1] == none &&
        A.MultiSkins[2] == none &&
        A.MultiSkins[3] == none &&
        A.MultiSkins[4] == none &&
        A.MultiSkins[5] == none)
      {
        A.Mesh = mesh'HDSkinsMut.CARpickupHD';

//GOPOSTAL, THIS CODE MIGHT BE WHAT YOU ARE MISSING       
     if(Inventory(A) != none)
      {
         if(Inventory(A).PickupViewMesh.Name == 'CARpickup')
           Inventory(A).PickupViewMesh  = mesh'HDSkinsMut.CARpickupHD';

if(Inventory(A).PlayerViewMesh.Name == 'CAR1st')
           Inventory(A).PlayerViewMesh  = mesh'HDSkinsMut.CAR1stHD';

if(Inventory(A).ThirdPersonMesh.Name == 'CAR3rd')
           Inventory(A).ThirdPersonMesh  = mesh'HDSkinsMut.CAR3rdHD';
//END OF MISSING CODE
      }
        A.MultiSkins[1] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJnewcar1';
        A.MultiSkins[2] = texture'HDSkins2.JCar1st0';
        A.MultiSkins[3] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJnewcar3';
        A.MultiSkins[4] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJnewcar2';
        A.MultiSkins[5] = texture'HDSkins2.HDJCAR3rd1';
      }
   }

I pointed out a bit of the code above that I think your code is missing. This bit of code made the weapon work for me, and was coded by Yrex. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I do that the weapon mesh would not change in-game for me until this was added.

I actually completely agree with you about resizing the skins for an online release. However, I don't think they need to go as low as 512x512. I would say that 1024x1024 would run flawlessly. In fact, in my own playtesting, I discovered that the only lag offline came from rooms full of every type of tree/plant, which have skins that are 4096x4096. I really have not seen any lag with 2056x2056, but that might be completely different online. If you want to play it safe, I'd say try downsizing the skins to 1024x1024. I think that should run well even on really old systems. I absolutely give you permission to downsize the skins. I can release a full online version once all this is complete.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 10:05

Could I trouble you for the source textures and I'll do the conversion on them? I've been trying to extract them myself but I'm stuck on about 15 or so that I can't get cleanly exported.
EDIT: NVM, I got them all. Took a good bit of work lol.

As for the CAR, well there are two sections for that weapon. There is another that replaces the pickup model but the code posted above deals only with the gun if it is in a player's inventory. The casting is slightly different because I'm using another function but it's the same result.

Your code

if(Inventory(A).PlayerViewMesh.Name == 'CAR1st')
           Inventory(A).PlayerViewMesh  = mesh'HDSkinsMut.CAR1stHD';

and mine

if( Inv.PlayerViewMesh == mesh'CAR1st')
{
     Inv.PlayerViewMesh  = mesh'CAR1stHD';

Both result in replacement of the mesh. Anyway this is on my fix list and I'll address it.

Update: I did a quick conversion of a brute texture from 4096X4096 (cough cough) to 1024. File size on the bmp went from 48MB to 1MB and the loss in quality was very, very slight. I'll carefully downconvert these and work forward from there. Give me a few days, maybe till the weekend.

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 18:13

gopostal wrote:Could I trouble you for the source textures and I'll do the conversion on them? I've been trying to extract them myself but I'm stuck on about 15 or so that I can't get cleanly exported.
EDIT: NVM, I got them all. Took a good bit of work lol.

Ah, well let me know if you need any textures. I've got them all in .DDS form. The original .psd files are way too big to upload anywhere (over 13GB). The .DDS files are much more reasonable in size.

Update: I did a quick conversion of a brute texture from 4096X4096 (cough cough) to 1024. File size on the bmp went from 48MB to 1MB and the loss in quality was very, very slight. I'll carefully downconvert these and work forward from there. Give me a few days, maybe till the weekend.

Don't forget to use UnrealEd 2.1 from 227 to import the textures as DXT1 (that's how I imported all the textures). Also, use "AlphaBlend" for textures that are masked. Are you exporting them as BMP? If so, then UnrealEd 2.1 might not read the masked info. You might have to use UnrealEd2.1 to actually export the files as .DDS, then re-import as DXT1 after the downsizing. This will prevent the file from being converted to several different formats, or losing masked info.

Previous Next