UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[Released] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: [Released] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]

Post Posted: 15 May 2016, 01:10

Developer: Lightning Hunter

Synopsis:
An Unreal227/UT99 High-resolution skins mutator.

Features:
This mutator replaces those old, blurry Unreal/RTNP skins with detailed, high-res versions. My primary goal with this project was to keep the skins looking as faithful as possible, while removing the obvious outdated "pixelation" of the original skins. In order to achieve this, each skin has been manually reworked. There has been no simple filters or cheesy sharpening techniques used during the skinning process. Each part of every skin has been manually air-brushed and blended. Hundreds of layers were created to apply overlay detail textures, better looking shadows, better highlights, and more. The end result is faithful skins that look almost the same from a distance, but far more detailed up-close. In the case of bigger meshes like the Titan, detail is evident even when viewed from a distance. Most skins have been increased from the original dimensions of 128x128/256x256 to 2048x2048/4096x4096.

The following skins are replaced for Unreal and RTNP:
-All Monsters/ScriptedPawns/Creatures
-All Inventory
-All Decorations (except the Robot)
-All Gibs
-All Projectiles except those with animated textures or special effects
-The Gina Skin by Ahaigh (all other player skins are incomplete at this point)

See the readme file for more credits and installation instructions! I also recommend getting DieHard's S3TC textures, which look great when combined with these Skins.

DOWNLOAD

ALSO TRY THIS: Return To Na Pali: Ultimate Edition v1.1 HD
For those of you who enjoyed RTNP:UE (or haven't played it yet), a new HD version has been released! This version of RTNP:UE replaces all the beta and custom skins with HD counterparts. Playing this in conjunction with UnrealHD will complete the experience! Read more about it at the Moddb page.
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 01 Jul 2017, 08:08, edited 34 times in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Tarydax

Subject: Re: Upcoming High-Res Skin Pack / Request for Skinners

Post Posted: 16 May 2016, 13:51

Wow, those look great!

Subject: Re: Upcoming High-Res Skin Pack / Request for Skinners

Post Posted: 16 May 2016, 21:30

Since I got a few questions from people in PM about this project, I decided to edit the first post with guidelines for skin submissions, as well as a list of completed skins. I just wanted to note that anyone can submit a skin. You do not have to commit to joining a team and making dozens of skins. If someone wishes to submit a skin or two, that is totally fine. I will simply evaluate each skin and decide if they are on par with the rest of the skins. Details for submission are included in my first post.

User avatar J-Rts
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: High-Res Skin Project / Request for Skinners!

Post Posted: 19 May 2016, 05:07

Hi all !!
I'm new to this site, well, in fact I signed up for it last year but had completely forgotten about it.
Nevermind, I saw this thread the other day and I have one question: Does the new patch (227) for UnrealEd support specular maps, selfillumination, cubemaps etc. ?? The reason I ask this is because a couple of years ago I made textures for the invasion monsters in UT2004. Mainly because I thought the low resolution textures looked like sh** in a high resolution environment. I have read that Lightning Hunter already made the textures for all the monsters, but if anybody is interested in seeing, how it could look with all the texture effects applied (selfillumination, specular and so on), I could put up a few screenshots for you people. Most textures I made for the Invasion monsters was only 1024x1024, but they looked pretty good.

Post Posted: 19 May 2016, 06:53

Hi there J-Rts, and welcome to the site! I'm not sure if 227 supports those features (someone else can answer that question maybe).

J-Rts wrote:Hi all !!
I could put up a few screenshots for you people. Most textures I made for the Invasion monsters was only 1024x1024, but they looked pretty good.

If you post screenshots, my only request is that you do so in a different thread. Otherwise, it will hijack this thread and cause confusion for people who might think your skins are affiliated with this project.

Do you have any interest in working on the undone high-res skins for this project? In particular, the weapons and inventory could use some upgrading. Otherwise, if nobody steps up to the plate, then the inventory is likely to be left out of the release.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 May 2016, 21:24

User avatar J-Rts

Post Posted: 20 May 2016, 02:55

Hey Lightning Hunter !!
Thank for the reply. I could take a look at the weapons and ammo, if you like, but I will not get anything done until the weekend. May I ask when you plan to release this package??
Lightning Hunter wrote:If you post screenshots, my only request is that you do so in a different thread.

Well, of course.
watcher_of_the_skies wrote:Here we go:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2298

Thanks, watcher of the skies.

Post Posted: 20 May 2016, 03:10

J-Rts wrote:Hey Lightning Hunter !!
Thank for the reply. I could take a look at the weapons and ammo, if you like, but I will not get anything done until the weekend. May I ask when you plan to release this package??
Lightning Hunter wrote:If you post screenshots, my only request is that you do so in a different thread.

Well, of course.
watcher_of_the_skies wrote:Here we go:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2298

Thanks, watcher of the skies.

Oh, it will be at least a few months before any release is made (possibly longer, because the Summer months are my busiest time of year for my job). Could you PM me some example work of yours (or create a new thread)? I don't want to ask you to do a bunch of work on any skins unless I think your style is at least somewhat similar to mine (keeping the skins faithful, yet detailed). Keep in mind that we cannot use any shaders or effects on these skins, since UT99 is the preferred engine for this project. The skins have to look more detailed without any such effects!

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 08:06

Here is some more content for people to check out. I have added these items to the completed skins list.

New Steel crate skin by me. The Wooden Crate, Barrel, and steel barrel skins also shown in this screenshot were created by Ahaigh:

Table & Chair Skin by me. The Knife skin was created by Ahaigh. The candles aren't done yet:

Amplifier Skin by Ahaigh, but modified by me:

Nali Fruit and Bandage skin by Ahaigh but heavily modified by me:

Sludge Barrel by me:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 10:13

That steel box looks supreme.
ImageImage

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 13:30

Dang guys....this is looking really good! Great work...really great work.

Post Posted: 23 May 2016, 03:32

Not a huge deal, but here is the pottery:

unreal doom

Post Posted: 23 May 2016, 13:42

Good Job :)!

Post Posted: 29 May 2016, 08:27

Just an update: All the decorations are complete except for the Cryopod, Escape Pod, and the Robot (the giant mech from ISV-Kran). Does anyone want to give the Robot skin a try? Honestly, I don't feel like working on it right now. It is complex, and I would rather move on to some of the inventory items (after completing the Cryopod and Escape pod). The skin is UnrealI.Skins.JRobot1.

Fan:

Lamp4:

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016, 06:22

All decorations are complete except for the Robot in ISV-Kran. I will work on that one much later if nobody else wants to do it.

Next