Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[Released] - Enslaved (UT)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [Released] - Enslaved (UT)

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016, 19:34

To be honest I have no idea whta's happening but I'm getting more and more bsp fuckups everytime i rebuild the map...

Dr.Flay - no idea ( Raven did the code for the turrets). Why?

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016, 19:46

Mkay. Make a !!! backup !!! of the game, and apply this:
http://kentie.net/article/d3d11drv/index.htm
This should patch the migmap fault and the other faults you may encounter while usin' D3D.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016, 20:38

Why ?
Compatibility with current installs, where people already have that file.
This is why at ut99.org we stress the point of crediting and documenting all the "random" resources used. That way any user can make an informed decision when replacing files permanently or temporarily.
eg. is it an upgrade or downgrade, so will I need to replace it again after playing so other maps/mods are not broken ?

Your InfAdds looks like the same one I have. My version is from the 2.75 redux pack, so it could be the latest version (2.75 redux was released after 2.8)

@Watcher of the skies
Calm down, there is never any reason to need to backup your game when swapping renderers.
This is a normal thing for the engine to handle.

DX10 and above are only useful for compatibility reasons (DX11 renderer is only a proof of concept. Read the info), as no mapper has yet to use the extra features (performance is also slower than DX9 and GL).
DX9 and OpenGL are the fastest most complete renderers, and still developed.
If you have a modern card that supports OpenGL 3.3 then you have even newer XOpenGL OpenGL3 / OpenGL4 renderers to use.
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016, 01:53

From all the issues in play I hear people are having, I think to make things simpler the 1st time I play it I'm gonna use Nali Weapons 3.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016, 05:01

So, because this looks so damned impressing I shared it with the folks over at ut99.org · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11635 · and there's a difficulty:
Aldebaran wrote:I have the problem that I don't know what to do to open this door (button does not work),
pic.jpg

Guess the pic didn't come through... I still haven't tried this, so is there a trick to the door?

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016, 09:53

It was an experience most astonishin'. Loved it. Hope more is on the way.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016, 04:39

I use an SP emulator that usually lets me load up mutators onto any SP map, but this one seems to be preventing it from fully working for me...

Most I got was this:

I'm not a huge SP player, but this is a lovely map... which I intend to take more of a crack at Sunday when I'm not so dead from work.

In the meantime, I'm nuking my way to freedom:

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016, 13:27

Excellent news, although it's a shame the bugs remain. I'll try this out next week :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016, 12:39

Damn, finally managed to get UT working and tested with 7B, ONP and a couple of other maps. Everything works just fine.

But Enslaved ??? 1 BIG problem: I can't save, the save area is dimmed and that is bugger;

First the positive news: I've read the old Enslaved topic (8th anniversary contest) and everything concerning visuals still stands, or is even bettered. Bugs? haven't really encountered anything problematic (expect for 1 thing- may not be a bug).

Then the bad news:

1. On first playthrough I was overwhelmed by tons of Skaarj emerging from nowhere and it took me quite some time before I found out there was a rogue Nali somewhere summoning them. Later on it happens again. This is a learn by dying multiple times situation;: it's not easy so see where that Nali is so you can't kill him fast enough to prevent a fairly high number of Skaarj closing in. Yes it's possible to survive (not for the faint-hearted) but with only the DP and the automag (or enforcer) with limited ammo, it's a real tester.
2. And it happens again a bit further, and that second time I had absolutely no idea where that Nali was. So that made me go into god mode. In a later playthrough I managed to get to the machinegun in time without godmode but with still no idea where that Nali was, which didn't help anything. On a new playthrough I immediately went looking for the Nali and managed to kill him but again there were like 30 or more Skaarj roaming around. I still haven't found a trustworthy method guaranteeing me to pass that area using skill alone (DP alone can work but is really hard and automag ammo is limited.
3 Some good news :) from then on it's really fun (and hard but 100% acceptable)
4 With some good luck, lots of backtracking but mainly pure genius ;-) I managed to reach the area with the Warlord and even slaughtered the beast (am I glad I saved all my heavy ammo because I am shit at aiming with those machineguns. I was even clever enough to jump on to some teleporter platform and thus reached the top one of those mountain pillars which can be seen from below. Then I get a message that access to the underground section is granted: BUT I´M STUCK very high with no way to go down (the structure which looks as though it could be a teleporter doesn't seem to function anymore.

Edit: this seems to be the same issue AlCapowned has
AlCapowned wrote:Right now I'm at the area after the warlord fight. If I press the button to disable the security system, the teleporter is turned off and leaves me with no way to get down without cheating, and if I go through the teleport without turning off the security system, I can't continue.

I'm leaving it at this for the moment while I try to reinstall UT.

wwof
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016, 20:52

I encountered the same issue with no way off the platform after killing the warlord. My solution was to enable the jump boots and drop off the platform on the structure below. I took some damage but survived. I have also found several areas where there seems to be an invisible barrier stopping further progress, like walking up the winding mountain path containing several machingun turrets. I encountered an invisible barrier just before the entry into the mountain. FWIW I have not had any of the technical problems others have described (UT 436, Win xp sp3, open gl), however it seems to be pushing my old 512 mb nvidia card to its limits. I have to say I have never seen so many skaarj in one map!

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016, 02:12

I have what may seem like a weird question:
Whenever I play I'm still using my basic Male Soldier model from UT, no big deal. However, if I get killed and have to restart the game switches me to a Homer Simpson model.

I wasn't aware I had one of those until now.

Naturally, I assume the game isn't turning me into Homer Simpson, but why should restarting the game switch my player model at all?

User avatar gubar
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016, 10:05

Does anybody have the original, speedmappig contest version of this map? Can't find it anywhere. I didn't realise at the time of playing that it was originally made back then and I would love to see how it evolved. It would also be great to make the original version available for download at Unreal Archives.

EDIT: Sorry, I spoke too soon. Just minutes after I wrote this I actually ran across the original 0.1 version on Oldunreal. Both versions are now also available here: http://unrealarchives.com/enslaved/

medor
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016, 13:49

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:7777/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:7777/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:5555/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:5555/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6777/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6777/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6666/][img]https://cache.gametracker.com/server_info/77.135.96.69:6666/b_350_20_692108_381007_ffffff_000000.png[/img][/url]

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 19:46

I'm really glad that this map is finally seeing the light of day. That 8th anniversary contest sure feels like a long time ago now. :)
Enslaved is as gorgeous and as awe-inspiring as I remember it being. Despite the general abundance of Nali sky island maps that are floating about, this one has a unique look and feel that highly appeals to my sense of aesthetics. The scale of the map is immense, but no part feels empty as there are plenty of set pieces and side areas and secrets to find.
Just a shame the landscape was marred by a plague of Skaarj Warriors that my initial arsenal was not capable of dealing with. I love the idea of corrupted Nali that use their magic as troop transporters, but I feel that perhaps the ambushes should have come later on when the player is better equipped and the idea of Nali=bad was more foreshadowed.
Other problems include various typos in translator messages and the invisible wall problems mentioned in other posts. Still, there was only one or two places where I was forced to cheat to progress which is an improvement from the initial release. And I know making an Unreal map this size geometrically stable is a near impossibility, especially with a map so terrain-heavy.
Overall it was really neat to come back to this map, and I think it can stand out from the crowd of Unreal custom maps based on its outstanding visuals and great sense of location alone.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016, 21:59

Can I download extra mipmaps and save them to a DVD?. this way I don't have to worry about running out of them!.. I've gotten that mipmap problem in the past on other maps too..

Previous Next