Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[UT] Khelmaar Mountain Pass

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar gubar
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: [UT] Khelmaar Mountain Pass

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 16:50

Developer: Gubar
Image Image
Image Image

Synopsis:
The middle map of a 3-map campaign I have had in mind for a long time. I could say I have been having fun with this map for about 15 years. I completely lost the files once and mostly re-done everything from memory (plus based on a 200x150px screenshot from Wayback Machine) a couple of years ago, then let it sit there for another 2 years. I picked it up again just recently. With such a lazy bastard as I am there are no guarantees but perhaps I will release it once.

Features:
Nothing spectacularly new, I guess. A classic Unreal 'feel'. Some custom code because the original classes either did not support the scripted sequences I wanted or I just couldn't figure out how to set them up. Just 1 map for now. Remember, even this took me 15 years... so far. :)

Features update:
Usable keys Hexen/Heretic/Wheel of Time style. I wrote some custom classes for having a separate key inventory so the carried keys will be displayed on the HUD similarly to WoT. See 4th screenshot above. Key custom mesh here:

Last edited by gubar on 14 Nov 2016, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [UT] Khelmaar Mountain Pass

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 22:48

Cool to see this, man!

Oh, and nice to see Europa ;)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UTupi

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016, 23:56

Looks beautiful. But why is it UT only? I very, very much prefer to have SP adventures in the U1 framework. I can (and have countless times) accommodate the tourney interface, but it's just all wrong for SP. Is there some enginey/resourcey technical obstacle?

This whining aside, I'm more than ready and willing to play this... Fire up old UT if needed...

Wait, do you need beta testers? Or is this actually done? (I have trouble with the roles of "Upcoming Maps" and "Project Presentation". Would confuse a lesser man I'm sure. So?)

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 04:15

I'm glad to see this interesting map pack! Want to play it as soon as possible!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 09:46

UTupi wrote:Looks beautiful. But why is it UT only? I very, very much prefer to have SP adventures in the U1 framework. I can (and have countless times) accommodate the tourney interface, but it's just all wrong for SP. Is there some enginey/resourcey technical obstacle?

He could not have U1 at all. Besides SP has always worked flawlessly within UT so it won't pose problems.
ImageImage

User avatar gubar

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 11:10

UTupi wrote:But why is it UT only? I very, very much prefer to have SP adventures in the U1 framework. I can (and have countless times) accommodate the tourney interface, but it's just all wrong for SP. Is there some enginey/resourcey technical obstacle?

There may be none. It's simply that when I decided to re-create the original lost project several years ago I started it in UT. I certainly will try to make it U1 compatible but I am simply being cautious not to promise anything I can't do in the end.

UTupi wrote:Wait, do you need beta testers? Or is this actually done? (I have trouble with the roles of "Upcoming Maps" and "Project Presentation". Would confuse a lesser man I'm sure. So?)

No it's far from done. Large chunks of the map have unfinished geometry. But yes, I will probably need beta testers when the time comes. I am not a fast mapper mostly because I rarely have the inspiration but when I do for brief periods of time I can make good progress. I am also a bit of a perfectionist, that is why no one has seen any SP releases, beginner level or not, from me. Other than a few old DM maps in the early 2000's I never made anything available. So, even in a best case it will take a few months. And it's probably not big news here that some projects are never finished. So no promises but I have this project close to my heart so hope for the best.

Thanks all for the encouragement.

User avatar gubar

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 11:37

Sat42 wrote:Oh, and nice to see Europa ;)

Looks much better than the low-res moon textures in Unreal doesn't it? NASA definitely deserves credit.
Also, its dark side is not (incorrectly) masked. But maybe I am the only one who cares about such things.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016, 23:42

gubar wrote:
Sat42 wrote:Oh, and nice to see Europa ;)

Looks much better than the low-res moon textures in Unreal doesn't it? NASA definitely deserves credit.
Also, its dark side is not (incorrectly) masked. But maybe I am the only one who cares about such things.

I care about such details too ;)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.