Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Project Xenome : Interloper

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Project Xenome : Interloper

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 21:33

jazz wrote:
Video Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler

You made it look easy!!! :tup:

Yeah, he did. At times I make a mental comparison with my playing and I feel ashamed. I just don't have that coordination in my hand (and fingers).

Looking at it from another perspective - my playing pleasure lasts much longer :wink:

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017, 01:18

UBerserker wrote:
Diego96 wrote:I see the savegames are bugged with the "G59" title, a problem I had with slots using only one list. I found a workaround for it, though, but it's probably specific for me and it's not perfect.

This is completely unrelated with my stuff, it's a general engine issue that happens with every pack.

I know. I also thought it only happened to me because I used Lightning Hunter's modified oldskool custom entries which added support for lots of more campaigns. In short, I went to oldskool.ini and deleted the "Packsaves" lines with repeated names except "Custom", but only after the = signs.

I also found a temporary fix for a bug with the campaign selector/save game menu that made them disappear for some reason. It was simple, use the "Previous" arrow instead of the "Next" arrow. Also using the dropdown list made them duplicate so I avoided using it ever since.
M'nali

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017, 07:43

Happy Holidays UnrealSP!

@Diego96: I adjusted my FOV to 100.

@Salsa: At some point I would like to Co-op all of Xenome. I did it once with "First Day" so I know it's possible.

@Jazzy: I might make some things look easy, but 'Interloper' is still a difficult pack!

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 7 - 'To Boldly Go'

# Of reset: More than I wanted, can't remember
Hardest area: Stargate Boss Room
Weapon of choice: Plasma Rifle

This was the most challenging Interloper map on Unreal difficulty thus far. That said, during my playthroughs I found some exploits/tricks to greatly help me along the way. There is one trigger in particular in the storage area that can be skipped completely and the force field in the first area can be used to exploit the AI. If your interested in using these tactics take a look at the video for a guide.

Video Spoiler:

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017, 12:58

I'm so glad this mappack is getting the attention it deserves! I avoid reading the details of people's various playthroughs (and no videos for me), since I will only play this later but it's great to see the enthusiasm surrounding it! :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017, 23:16

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:There is one trigger in particular in the storage area that can be skipped completely and the force field in the first area can be used to exploit the AI.

Hmm, skipping the storage area trigger never occured to me (since I wanted all kills) but is a nice find.
The exploit with the forcefield was one I actively searched for but executed slightly differently (DP from far away over the shield attacting all Skaarj and then DP through the side or under the shield) (works going in and out - just as you did). I did have to weaken them all just about equally so that I give the final push to all in a relatively short time so that their ammo would still be there for the picking when I entered.
I never thought about attacking the Behemoth just as he was coming out of the hangar, so before I realised it I was stuck in that room with the switch with the behemoth guarding the door. I actually had to risk opening the door and jumping over him to free myself. :shock:

Wow, you stayed in the room with the Warlord and the other opposition. I didn't have the guts to do that considering I was low on ammo. I also didn't realise that I could have entered that room with the teleporter and collected the ammo before the fight (that would have saved me a lot of time).

Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017, 08:19

@Salsa: I didn't realize it was possible to exit the Warlord boss battle area? Maybe it could have something to due with save game corruption I would check that out.

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 8 - 'Welcome To Site B'

This map was more of a challenge for No Saves on Unreal difficulty due to shear length and enemy count. That said, with knowledge of enemy placement in advance it's really not as challenging as maps like 'To Bodly Go' and 'Dam'. I definitely get a 'Zephon' vibe from both this one and 'Friendly' which works well as an "outdoor action intermission (tm)" to get to the real golden section of the pack.

# of resets: I think twice, I honestly can't remember how or why. I think fighting hordes of enemy and being trapped in a corner was the culprit for at least one.

weapon of choice: Sniper Rifle. You definitely need to utilize it and use ammo consumption on this map for the Sniper to make it through with ease.

Toughest area: I'll go with the Nali Village, but honestly there are a few other areas that are just as difficult throughout.

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 9 - 'Friendly Providence'

This map is tough No Resets on Unreal difficulty. I definitely felt not having a few saves on this one as most of my resets were due to falling of a cliff which sucks because it's a considerably long map. So with the enemy difficuly level of 'Welcome to Site B' there is also the added difficulty of not falling off ledges.

# of resets: 4. Two of the resets were due to falling off the Manta canyon area. The other two resets were at the dreaded "wooden elevator of death".

Hardest area: Dreaded wooden elevator of death.

Weapon of choice: Plasma Rifle / Ripper

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 10 - 'On Thin Ice'

On thin Ice was actually not that bad. I think I had to reset only one time on this map and I believe it was just due to some random Trooper that ambushed me from behind. If you're dreading the Skaarj ambush area in the map, just take a look at my video on how to beat that section easily. I found this method on my previous run-through on Unreal difficulty. I would honestly say that 'On Thin Ice' is actually on the easier side of Interloper with proper map knowledge and strategy.

# of resets: 1

Toughest area: I would say the final Skaarj Trooper room. That area did take me by surprise.

Weapon of choice: Bio Rifle

Video Spoilers:
► Show Spoiler

So funny thing is, I've actually already beat 'Interloper' No Saves on Unreal difficulty on my second reset, but forgot to hit the record button on the video! Oh well, I honestly don't mind playing such an awesome map over again. I finally made it to the heart of Interloper.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017, 13:47

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:@Salsa: I didn't realize it was possible to exit the Warlord boss battle area? Maybe it could have something to due with save game corruption I would check that out.

Once the door is closed and you're inside, the only way to out is through the teleporter.
But when you enter that room, quickly press the button and run back through the closing door. It's then possible to open the door, unleash your ammo upon the enemy and let the door close .. and then repeat.
At the end of Thin Ice, you saw the green Skaarj while going down the elevator, but then it's too late. (That part is one of the most memorable parts of Xenome part 1 - for me).

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 19:46

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 11 - 'Interloper'

Hardest area: hallway and room after getting the warhead package and two explosives.
# of resets: I beat this on the first try but didn't record by accident. I think around 4 resets.

This map I can comfortably confirm is my second favorite of 'Interloper' moving 'Signs and Portents' to third. Why did I choose this level instead of the other arguably more grandiose Skaarj/Queen themed levels? Well, first impressions matter and the first time I laid eyes on the 'Blade-runner' inspired Skaarj transport hub was the moment I realised how important a pack like this is/was for Unreal's history. The map really isn't all that hard if your patient and take the time understand how to strategically use your weapon arsenal in close quarter situations almost exclusive to this map.

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 12 - 'Nested Interests'

This level is not easy to beat on one go and has a considerably confusing layout even when trying to study and make sense of it. I really do like the level alot and consider it to be one of the best Interloper has to offer. Its definitely the most maze-like map in the entire pack and arguably more maze-like than anything from 'First Day' as well. You will find yourself backtracking alot and finding enemies in areas that you thought you already cleared frequently and remember to watch your back at all times on this one.

# of resets: probably close to a dozen.
Weapon of choice: Sniper/Flak for best results
Hardest area: Not one particularly, but watch out going up elevators.

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 13&14 - 'Critical Transfer' +
'PowerPlay'

# of resets: lol
Weapon of choice: LOL
Hardest area: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Why did I choose the need to crazily attempt to beat both of these maps without saving once on Unreal difficulty? I have no clue at this point, but I did it.

Actually, the main reason I did it is because for some reason I was unable to save my game on 'Power Play'. Since I thought Jazzy might have intended for this map to be an extension of 'Core Issue' (which I now think was not intended) I went ahead and made it that for my run. This was a terrible idea, but I was too invested in it to stop half way through so I made it happen a week later. Enjoy the video, I even find it pretty damn entertaining.

Video Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

edit: Interloper Video Link Added ini spoilers
Last edited by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit on 10 Jan 2018, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018, 23:28

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:...
Why did I choose the need to crazily attempt to beat both of these maps without saving once on Unreal difficulty? I have no clue at this point, but I did it.

Actually, the main reason I did it is because for some reason I was unable to save my game on 'Power Play'. Since I thought Jazzy might have intended for this map to be an extension of 'Core Issue' (which I now think was not intended) I went ahead and made it that for my run.

Yeah, I struggled with the no save situation also:
For the solution:
read viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4195&start=90#p74634

now going to watch your videos 8) .

later: OMG in the Master Control Room you had a mighty close shave (20 HP, no armour), but a magnificent save. Your reflexes and prowess in moving backwards are :tup:

usaar33
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018, 20:39

Pretty amazing map pack; just started playing it.

Quick walk-through question: I've gotten a bit stuck in Cobalt Colony in the area with
► Show Spoiler

Any tips? Thanks!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018, 23:00

usaar33 wrote:Pretty amazing map pack; just started playing it.

Quick walk-through question: I've gotten a bit stuck in Cobalt Colony in the area with
► Show Spoiler

Any tips? Thanks!

The forcefield has an energy source. Hint = find and destroy that source (sometimes it's unreachable but still destroyable.)
And if you still can't solve that puzzle, take a look at the playthrough by [UDHQ]JackRabbit.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018, 23:06

Holy crap - is this THE UsAaR33?! :shock: If so, then many heartfelt thanks for your past modding work, it augmented my enjoyment of Unreal Tournament :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018, 23:41

Good to see you around Usaar! I guess having Epic's UT devs retweeting Xenome worked enough if it caught a lot of people's attention, unless you sneakly follow what's going on there every day heh.
ImageImage

usaar33
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 17:53

> The forcefield has an energy source. Hint = find and destroy that source (sometimes it's unreachable but still destroyable.)

Ah thanks a lot; hadn't realized I could
► Show Spoiler

> unless you sneakly follow what's going on there every day heh.

I lurk every few months to see if there's been any new releases; Unreal remains fun to this day to play!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 20:28

usaar33 wrote:Ah thanks a lot; hadn't realized I could
► Show Spoiler

You're welcome and I'm truly glad you found it yourself without somebody explicitly giving the solution. I also got stuck the first time near the end of Cobalt and (afterwards) had regrets that I had given up much too quickly and had requested the solution. When the solution was given to me I realised that eventually I would have understood the hint in the map itself.
You're in for a treat with Xenome part 2. To me it's a really Hard pack (not unfair) but seeing [UDHQ]Jackrabbit's video playthroughs, it gives a false impression that it's easy.

Previous Next