UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Project Xenome : Interloper

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Project Xenome : Interloper

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017, 21:48

Hi guys

It's taken a long time but i've finished it at last. It may not be perfect with the odd glitch and mistake but it's the best I could do.

My UMOD generator isn't working for some strange reason even after full new installs, so it'll have to be a manual job for the time being until I find out the problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oj6gq9s96 ... n_UMOD.rar

The pack is 15 maps in length and they are quite large which should keep you going for a while,
It also uses the ONP gametype which means ONP installation is a prerequisite for play.

Crack open UT, install oldskool, start new Operation Na-Pali game.
Remember to go to custom ONP maps.
Start with : ONP-map10AmbushX.

The player will start exacly where 'First Day' left off together with the weapons you had and full health.
I believe i've included all relevant files but without a full new install i'm not 100% on this so plz let me know if there are any missing so I can upload asap.

Let me know what you think but remember I started this back in 2010!

Edit: Some shots atlast!

Episode 3 will be called 'Project Xenome : Aftermath'
Last edited by jazz on 21 Jul 2017, 21:11, edited 3 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Project Xenome : Interloper

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017, 22:17

OMFG NEW MAJOR UNREAL SINGLE PLAYER RELEASE IN 2017
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017, 23:34

Wooot, it is finally there, awesome! Your opening post deserves to be flashier, though... :p

So far, I have opened every map in the editor and it seems you included every relevant file. I am looking forward to playing the pack tomorrow.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017, 02:25

15 Maps??? I assumed there would only be 8 or something! That is a very nice surprise indeed. If you count both part 1 and 2, you have officially created the 2nd largest community pack after ONP! Of course, I am not including the "low-quality" coop packs out there and such. Great job! I will let you know when I play this (it may take me a while, but I will play it).

I agree with Editor Dave that such a release deserves a nicer thread! If you want, you can feel free to copy the format I used in my RTNP:UE thread here. Just open the thread, hit the "quote" button, remove the quote code, and modify it as you see fit. You can remove the banners if you don't want to create one yourself, but I do recommend getting up at least 4 screenshots!

You will also have to create a moddb page someday with all of Xenome on it.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

tzaero
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017, 19:57

About seven or so maps in.
Jazz, you mad man of much variety.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017, 21:39

Got to "Soothsayer" so far, and by gum is this pack something else.

I recently replayed First Day with the anticipation of this episode coming out, and it's like a breath of fresh air to be out of that facility and into the world beyond!
As tzaero mentions, there is a lot more variety thematically - and the way all the locations flow together is seemingly seamless - you've definately shown yourself to be a highly versatile mapper :)
I just love how interactive and believable the environments are, visually and aurally - particularly the Cobalt settlement.

► Show Spoiler

Anyways, thank you so much for this release, and I can't wait to get back to playing the rest :D

SZ

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017, 22:32

Thx.
I had to mix it up a little after the constant theme of 'First Day'.

On another note I'm having a big problem uploading screens for the original post.
It seems my PC does'nt want to play at all just lately. May have a virus or something.

I'll do a thorough scan tommoz but for now -bed, another 14hr shift to do.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 10:40

Haven't been home much but I will be later this afternoon.
I guess I'll be very busy and unavailable for the next week playing one of the most anticipated releases for a couple op years now. Even if it only just nears the quality of First Day, the wait will have been worth it.
Thanks jazz - I guarantee you''t get some feedback from me (probably positive feedback :wink: ).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 14:02

May be the best Unreal mappack? Four levels in and it seems clearly very superior to Xidia and Shrakith'a. Also busters whatever I saw of Firestorm.
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 19:34

I have played through the pack and this is really among the best, if not the best. What First Day lacked, is now overrepresented: Variety in themes and design approaches is one of the striking features of the pack. If you thought, JazzyB could only create convincing human bases, you will learn that he can also create convincing decayed ruins, high mountain peaks (one of my favorites!) and Skaarj bases. Especially the last one let my jaw drop several times, something Zephon could not achieve even once. It is obvious that the last Skaarj area is influenced by the likes of Zephon, even the ending is similar (youve got destroy an energy core that is guarded by a WarLord), but JazzyB surpasses his predecessors in every aspect which probably comes down to careful planning. The maps are interlinked, making you visit places you could only see in a previous map, by the translator messages you feel like you really tear down this place and disrupt the Skaarj activities, most of the rooms serve a clear purpose (the Hatching area was probably the coolest), there is as few backtracking involved as possible (you just gotta remember everything, not always easy ^^) and most importantly, most of the rooms are multilayered, making you visit the places from different perspectives and sometimes providing z axis fights.

In that regard, the Cobalt area SteadZ already mentioned is the prime example of the conceptual (I may dare say that) genius that lies in the map progression: You always have to keep your eye open for where to jump on next to find a way around the numerous barriers that are in your way. By the time of the latter third, I did find some of those "progression puzzles" a bit repetitive, though: Every time I saw crates or pipes I knew there had to be a shaft somewhere around. That is not to say you did not do your best to avoid staleness (for example, with moving objects); however, I had the impression those shafts were only built to get around obstacles, not always naturally integrated into the environment - in contrast to the great concepts of the buildings themselves.

I enjoyed the combats overall and (on Medium) I found the difficulty fair. There were some nice surprise encounters and the Titan was probably the most dangerous I had ever faced before. Also, the first WarLord was brutal, but managable. While the introduction of enemies was oftentimes energetic (either rushing at you or at least being alert), I do think there could be more variation in them approaching the player. For example, that one time a Skaarj took away the energy route in one of the last maps (not a fight, but could result in one). Or in the Ice Skaarj base, you could see a Skaarj through a window, pressing a button to open a door in order to reach you. Or (one of the most memorable scripted combat events) in Xidia, a ship packed with Skaarj crashes into a hallway - those moments are really cool.

The music in general was nicely picked and I liked the great variety in tracks. Though, sometimes, you could only hear the music through one channel, probably because you wanted to save some MB (kind of fake mono lol). I would advise you to use RMusicPlayer which allows you to play .mp3-files in Unreal. This way you can save MB and retain a good audio quality.

Regarding the story, I thought it was approriate. There was one WTF-moment with the reveal of the protagonists real name and some hints later on - I hope the last episode will offer a good closure to that! The ending of "Welcome to Site B" and the consequence of that caught me off guard as well, even though that very consequence didnt have a major impact on gameplay.

Thank you for this experience, you definitely succeeded with your aim to "give us a blast". My pure playing time of 10 hours in the score tells that this pack alone rivals ONP or even the mother game in length since every map (except The Dam) offers so much content or at least keeps you long enough on your toes! This really sets the bar high for the final episode. :P
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 20:25

I am really impressed by the comments/feedback here - like, holy shit impressed!! :o

The fact that there's not a single screenie makes this even more mysterious...

Essentially, I am simply so glad this is happening in 2017. This is awesome!!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 20:37

This pack deserves more news and promotion. It's kind of sad that there is only one thread at UnrealSP.org. Jazz, might I suggest you create a Moddb page? Surely this pack would gain far more attention for the sheer quality!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 20:47

I'm only 3 maps in, but it's absolutely excellent so far. :tup:

User avatar editor Dave

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 21:31

I just created a thread over at ut99.org (with some screenies for Sat42 ;)). I hope this helps!

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1 ... 582#p98582

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017, 22:00

Lightning Hunter wrote:This pack deserves more news and promotion. It's kind of sad that there is only one thread at UnrealSP.org. Jazz, might I suggest you create a Moddb page? Surely this pack would gain far more attention for the sheer quality!

It's a good idea LH, thx. What I intend to do is wait until all three are joined together before deciding what to do.

Thx Editor Dave for the above link, and thankyou everybody for the kind comments. It makes the last few years mean something for what i personally went through.
I have to plan no.3 now which isn't going to be easy. :shy:

My PC has finally given up the ghost i'm afraid, something to do with the motherboard. I'm here on my brothers laptop so it could be a few days before I can comment again.

Next