Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Project Xenome : Interloper

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Project Xenome : Interloper

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017, 23:14

jazz wrote:...
Bit of a problem with the level. I want the player to die after a certain event has taken place but the CosoleCommand function (suicide) wont allow it like when you kill the Nali in Friendly Providence. :?

???
I'm confused now. I can't remember killing any Nali in Friendly Providence. I do remember a Nali being killed by a Skaarj, and even replaying that section in order to try and save the Nali (difficult but it's possible when you klnow what's coming and are fast enough to keep the Skaarj's attention away from the Nali).

BTW, just now I ghosted to the end of Site B to see if I could kill the green Skaarj - yep, 1 fully loaded biosludge, 419 damage and he's blown to green slime. But when trying to cross the bridge then, some invisible force operated the firing mechanism and blew the bridge to smithereens 8)
Going to try to kill the green Skaark also (with ghosting and cheating of course) in The Dam en Sombre Revelation to see whether the next events happen as they should.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017, 23:57

Buff Skeleton wrote:A simple trigger could handle that -- even TriggeredDeath or a SpecialEvent that causes a massive amount of damage, and with a damage type that doesn't gib you (like Drowned or Corroded). Worst case, a custom trigger could be scripted for it if you want to be absolutely sure it kills all players in coop mode too, though that is much easier dealt with in coop since you respawn, so that might require some more thought.

Cheers Buff :)

I had totally missed the Triggered Death; however, in light of Coop mode it might be better to take the crush mover attempt as this will kill everyone. It's just going to take a bit of re-design.

Salsa, in friendly providence there is a nali that opens a door for the player just after the first outside ledge experience. If the Nali is killed, so is the player because he can’t open the door for you. (Unless you kill him after the fact, but why would you do that?)
This also happens at the end of Soothsayer. The Nali priest opens the portal, if you kill him before he operates it the player cannot progress, so you die of, well, whatever!

Oh, and that invisible force that you mention - is me!..... Making sure you don’t cheat! :wink: Heh!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 00:23

jazz wrote:...
Salsa, in friendly providence there is a nali that opens a door for the player just after the first outside ledge experience. If the Nali is killed, so is the player because he can’t open the door for you. (Unless you kill him after the fact, but why would you do that?)
This also happens at the end of Soothsayer. The Nali priest opens the portal, if you kill him before he operates it the player cannot progress, so you die of, well, whatever!

OK, now I get the part about the Nali being killed. :) It's the same with the Skaarj operating the forcefield (Site B I think). Kill him before he disables the forcefield and you're stuck (I think I wrote about it)

jazz wrote:Oh, and that invisible force that you mention - is me!..... Making sure you don’t cheat! :wink:

It's actually funny that when I played Part 2 for the first time (on Medium), there were moments that I thought I would never be able to beat it on Unreal and that I would have to cheat in order to be able to progress beyond those horde fights (and that would be bad design in my opinion). I hereby declare (and this can be confirmed by others) that no cheating at all is necessary, in fact it would spoil the fun of rethinking and trying a different strategy.

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 00:25

First, Jazz I would like to thank you for what has become a great holiday gift that has provided me with one of the best Unreal experiences to date. An Xenome part 3 is something I can barely fathom, but hope it just continues momentum where part 2 left off.

Did I extract the original texture files from these games? = no.
These textures already existed as UTX via download over many years from various sites that hosted Unreal files.
Did I manipulate these files after I DL them for use in the mod? = yes.
Virtually all the textures had no Detail Textures or footstep sounds that were needed.

Thanks for clearing that part up, that is great to hear and I would have done the same.

Interloper Unreal Difficulty - Part 3: The Damn

No mistake by the title, the Dam is Damn tough on Unreal difficulty without any saves. Here are some basic stats:

# of map resets: I stopped counting
weapon of choice: bio rifle
toughest area: inside the dam

I actually learned a hell of alot about 'Dam' during this playthough. On my second reset, I actually could have completed the map with less than 100 health (it was cleared at this point), but intentionally decided to take my chances with the Skaarj troopers and deactivate the force field gate only to die about 5-10 second in battle. Instead, I took the time to develop strategies for each area and provide a detailed walk-through of the map in spoilers that will greatly aide anyone struggling on Unreal difficulty.

@Salsa - I'm glad that the Ambush strategy came in use. Consider looking at my Dam strategies as well I guarantee at least one of them will help out.

Map Walk-through *MAJOR SPOILERS*:
► Show Spoiler

Finally on to 'Signs and Portents', probably my 2nd favorite map of Interloper. \o/

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 02:28

Yeah, the Dam was a pain, and in my case even more of a pain, because my goal was to kill everything possible which forced me to save heavy ammo and spam the DP. Still, our strategies are very similar here.
At the fence with the opening, I first went through the gate to spam the ripper so as to alert the horde and as they came, a load of rocketgrenades to slow them down. Then retreated back through the opening, another load of grenades and while retreating biosludge to slow them down and then waited around the corner and used Flak and shock rifle secondary fire.
The third printscreen: almost exactly the same, but killed the warriors and Krall with DP before killing the gunner so that I could collect the ammo.
The inside area: almost exactly the same but tried to lure them one by one.
Back up and outside (remember that I wanted to maximise my killcount): first cleared out everything to the exit, but before exiting returned to switch of the forcefield and spammed the pulsegun while retreating past the shuttle so that I could take them out from safe distance.
There is one very big difference though: you only needed around 15m, I needed 51m 13s and that's going to be a constant difference throughout the campaign.

But your sessions make me want to start all over again, this time as a speedrun :wink:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 00:51

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 4 - 'Signs and Portents'

I begin this map 'Signs' knowing that it wont be a problem beat no saves on Unreal difficulty which puts my mind at ease. There is not much to say about the map with text as the visuals and great gameplay tell most of the story. This is where Xenome finally takes a turn from the 'Industrial' theme to a more classic 'Unreal' theme and it has about twice the emotional impact on the player in contrast to a pack like ONP which literally spams it with little map coherence.

# of resets : 1
weapon of choice (outdoor) : Ripper followed by either shock rifle or automag.
weapon of choice (indoor) : Flak Cannon
most challenging area: Outdoor section featuring 15+ Skaarj warriors and troopers.

Knowing that part of the outside section was the problem child in my previous Unreal difficulty run, I tried to run a new strategy which ultimately failed and resulted in a Trooper Ripper Decapitation. Instead, I found myself hugging the walls of the canyon to take out each Skaarj 1 by 1.

No spoilers for this map, it's perfectly doable without any exploits for the average Unreal player on Unreal difficulty with smart tactics. I would even argue that the Shield Belt (considering the secret area) and ammo is very generous on this map.... perhaps too generous.

On to Soothsayer which is some good solid fun.

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 14:41

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 5 - 'Soothsayer'

Luck was definitely not on my side in this go through of the map. That said, similarly to 'Dam', I learned a hell of alot during this run through and instead of screenshots this time I would provide a video for anyone who wishes to view my map strategies. Without spoiling the map for anyone, I would recommend anyone to carefully choose your weapons throughout this map as this might just be the most "weapon scenario" based map I've ever played on Unreal.

# of resets : 5
Weapon of choice: All
Toughest area: Cave (you know which one)

Now I'll explain my resets. Two of the resets were simply due to lack of proper map knowledge. I miscalculated my steps not once but twice and fell to my death in the first cave area. This was most likely due simply from trying to rush through the map to fast. The third was in the second cave area where the Rocket Trooper + Skaarj simply overwhelmed me and I did not have this problem on my last run on Unreal difficulty. The fourth and fifth were actually both during the outside river portion near the end of the map. Number four was due to jumping down to the lake early where I got overwhelmed by Skaarj. The fifth was actually due to a hole in the geometry in that same area where I fell through the world. I'll provide a screenshot of the exact area here in case Jazzy wants to try and address it when all 3 are compiled together.

This is where the BSP got me:

Video Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 21:16

Thx for the update on the BSP hole.

This is the area. Just about where the key is found.
As you can see I'm in the exact point where you died, I just couldn’t find it.
It took me a long time of moving to and fro to engage the instant kill point.
It’s incredibly small and I really had to go out of my way to die; however, kudos for finding it. One more for the list!

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 22:21

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:Video Spoiler:

Wow, the speed at which you move through that map!!
That took me almost 2 and half hours.
Our playing styles have no similarities at all. I always take the stealth approach (and hit and hide), you are like a bulldozer flattening the bumps in the road. Me, I kill a few, then fetch coffee, advance slowly, decide beforehand which weapon to use at which location and get another coffee (it doesn't always work out the way I planned it) especially where to save ammo and go full DP after which I need coffee ;-) But I guarantee that's it's much more fun to watch you play! I'ld get bored to death watching myself probably.

When you dropped down into the cave, you actually found a position which didn't alert the Skaarj and could prevent them from swarming you, I never found that position: I killed them all from way higher (the waterfallcrossing where the Skaarj attack just as you almost made the crossing).
Keep 'em coming (the reports of course but a video now and then adds even more flavour) :tup:

User avatar Nalisavior

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 03:25

jazz wrote:I did a few hours mapping for no.3 last night, the level is WIP but it's a medium Nali village that will play a prominent part of the story.

Please add Nali warriors from ONP Jazz! I really want to fight alongside my Nali brethren! Your Human and Skaarj environments were absolutely incredible!

I hope you complete the trifecta and show us your mapping skills with the medieval/feudal Nali environment. perhaps we could liberate The Nali warriors from prison cells like the marines in the skaarj base? Those snapshots of the Nali town look amazing!

My friends and I are really excited for part 3! Thanks again for all your hard work, I'm replaying through part 1 and 2 again on Unreal difficulty and am having a blast! \o/

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 15:08

@Jazzy: My pleasure, I'm glad I'm able to assist in weeding out such a pesky bug such as that one.

@Salsa: Thanks for the tip in the waterfall section in Soothsayer. I'll be sure to at least clear a few of them out from above on my next run.

'Interloper' Unreal Difficulty No Saves : Part 6 - 'Sombre Revelation'

There really isn't a whole lot to say about this map. This is Xenome's Dig and the next map is its Dug so to speak. The pack turns back to the environment featured in "First Day", but I'll go out on a whim and say the danger levels have risen dramatically and if you can't tell by the video... I'm literally freaking the f out while not being able to save on Unreal difficulty.

# of resets: 1 - I died once in the train area.
Hardest area: Around and in the control room
Weapon of choice: Rocket Launcher

Video Spoiler:

It's gonna be a few days before I get around to continuing this playthrough on 'To Boldly Go' due to work related reasons. I'm getting in two double shifts back-to-back right before I take off for the holiday.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 17:16

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:Video Spoiler:

hahahaha, 3 health and stuck in the train :lol:
But what a majestic escape. I also love the way you can switch weapons so fast, I always seem to press the wrong buttons.
For once I saw a part where I actually did it better than you, very near the start when 2 Skaarj came running at you (just before going down a pipe where you see the Warlord), your first load of rocket completely bypassed the Skaarj :shake: . You also had 2 inefficient shaves going down the stairs to the open office area. I saved a lot of ammo there by attracting them 1 by 1 and retreating to the long passage, more than enough room there to win the fight without losing any health. But seriously, the way you manage to get out of tight situations :tup: . In those situations I would have been dead meat.
Another thing I noticed, you had seeds. I must have missed the seeds somewhere cause I didn't find any anywhere in any map.

About the Waterfall section In Soothsayer. Instead of taking the wooden transporter to cross the opening, jump on to the top beam and walk across without getting off the beam. That way it's a lot easier to kill the Skaarj without loss of health (and ammo) and allows you to return to get the shieldbelt on top of the hut only after the 2 or 3 initial Skaarj are disposed of (should you have lost some shield and health there).
Anyway, that's the height from which you can take out all Skaarj in the cave area. The problem there is that only the DP and the rockets are effective at that distance (and rockets should not be wasted). It takes me about as long to clear that area, as it takes you to finish the whole map.

But I think we would make a good team. :wink: Me the stealthy and careful one, you the saviour for difficult situations.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 18:03

Very nice to watch. I just wished it was higher quality or 60fps. You could try using a different crosshair and turning up FOV a little bit, too.

I see the savegames are bugged with the "G59" title, a problem I had with slots using only one list. I found a workaround for it, though, but it's probably specific for me and it's not perfect.
M'nali

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 20:22

Diego96 wrote:I see the savegames are bugged with the "G59" title, a problem I had with slots using only one list. I found a workaround for it, though, but it's probably specific for me and it's not perfect.

This is completely unrelated with my stuff, it's a general engine issue that happens with every pack.
ImageImage

User avatar jazz

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017, 21:00

Please add Nali warriors from ONP Jazz! I really want to fight alongside my Nali brethren!

You'll have to wait and see what I have in mind! It'll just take a while!

Video Spoiler:
► Show Spoiler

You made it look easy!!! :tup: Apart from the very end: 'To Bodly Go' Ugghhh! :shake: I face palm myself every time I see that now.
I'm really fast at typing and I don't usually check the spelling on my play through because I generally know what I’ve written – that’s something I need to address.

Previous Next