A random sentence for a random mind.

[227][released] Acerak remake (-ish)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: [227][released] Acerak remake (-ish)

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 18:40

Platform: 227i

Screenshots:
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal ... edirects=0

Description:
A semi-faithful remake of the unleaked beta map. Includes remakes of the screenshots and lots of new stuff. Essentially, it's a bunch of random corridors and traps with 'Temple' stamped on it. (Although that probably shouldn't be surprising.) Besides that, there's new music, and there are also some areas with different types of challenges than what you usually see in stock Unreal.

Download:
https://sites.google.com/site/mojunreal ... ects=0&d=1
(mirror 1 mirror 2)
Last edited by yrex on 02 Mar 2022, 19:27, edited 3 times in total.
e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Acerak remake (-ish)

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 19:54

What HUD is that?
M'nali

yrex

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 20:18

Diego96 wrote:What HUD is that?

This HUD was used in late '97 Unreal versions (I'm not sure if it ever was functional).
What you see here is a mutator that replicates the feel of those versions, including a working HUD.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 20:19

I've never heard of this beta map. How did you get your hands on it? Are there any more unreleased maps I'm not aware of? :shock:
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 21:06

No it's built from scratch off available pictures/videos of the level. It's the fire counterpart to Chizra and was accessed from that unfinished temple in FHub4 (aka beta Spire Valley)
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 23:42

Ahhh, so it truly is a remake (not just a re-release). Interesting! I'll definitely check it out when it is released.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017, 23:52

yrex wrote:
Diego96 wrote:What HUD is that?

This HUD was used in late '97 Unreal versions (I'm not sure if it ever was functional).
What you see here is a mutator that replicates the feel of those versions, including a working HUD.

Thanks
M'nali

yrex

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017, 00:18

The map is almost finished, now I'm just testing it and fighting the BSP rebuilder...

I had to change the platform to 227, because otherwise too much stuff was breaking...

yrex

Subject: Re: [227][released] Acerak remake (-ish)

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017, 18:15

Released. See first post.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017, 19:55

I loved every second I spent with it!

It really looks like the actual map, AAA work on that. Really smooth but challengin' gameplay!
Thank you for your work on this one!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017, 00:47

While a "remake" this is obviously a work in it's own right (and a bigger investment than I was expecting), in that regard it has a lot of nice ideas but the execution has issues. For one thing, at least on Unreal difficulty, there's a massive lack of supplies to the point I had to use the DP for most things, and I basically had nothing at points, and that's on top of there being very little health or armour as well. The individual enemies aren't especially dangerous but the constant attrition certainly is, and I don't feel it was tested for higher modes. At the start the areas felt a bit disconnected into individual set-pieces, but it improved as it went, and final main area has an interesting structure to it in particular, along with a sense of reward when you finally get out (I also liked the "twist" that led to it). The visuals are simple and a little below Unreal quality, but they're functional and there's some nice sights at times, though the unscaled lava texture is kind of ugly for how much of it there is.

The combat set-pieces all had nice ideas but felt like they went on a bit too long; the first big fight with a bunch of Fire Slith kept going to the point I wondered if there might be a puzzle to solve, but eventually it ended. The mantas in the tower climb section were also similar, especially as you had just moved a similar wooden ledge with a switch which made me think I was missing something rather than just having to kill stuff. Then there's the bit where you kill the Slith with traps, which was cool to start with but, again, just kept on going. Even ignoring the silliness of the concept, having boots for swimming in lava was odd when the Asbestos suit already exists (though getting to dive in after being in that area for a while was rewarding). The bit with the "raft" ledge over lava was also a bit unintuitive with the raft just warping back to the start rather than looping or something. The platforming/trap focus of the map will probably be a little "controversial", but I mostly found it fine, with main frustration being how little you have to fight back while being harassed by enemies during them.
Formerly Mman

yrex

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017, 18:01

I don't feel it was tested for higher [difficulty] modes

At the start the areas felt a bit disconnected into individual set-pieces

You guessed right.

boots for swimming in lava

Yeah, I know that it's stupid how just the boots protect your whole body from damage, but the point was, they were a beta item.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 08:42

Started playing the map with high expectations about the puzzles. (on Hard)

The lack of ammo and shield isn't a major problem once you know what's coming, but since the DP needs reloading (unlike in ONP and Xenome), falling without ammo in the spawning fireslith area is almost a certainty the first time, and with the entrance/exit closed until the area is cleared, it feel as though you've been cheated. Second attempt was succesful but it could have been a bit more interesting had the door stayed open.
The next puzzle kept me busy for a very long time since the second pillar only moves down and up once (without sound and out of view if one lingers a bit by the switch).
The disc on the lava is a cool one (pun intended) :lol: and the wooden platform that has to be walked over gives it a surprising twist (yes, I fell for it).
The crushing blocks were damn difficult to get the timing right but no complaints at all (It's actually a very nice exercise in forward thinking).
Then, no problems up until I had to use a switch to lower a wooden platform on a timer. I had to ghost that one after failing to make a proper jump before the platform gave way and the lava swallowed me (about 10 times).
Then went higher until there was a platform higher which I couldn't reach so jumped to the side and worked my way round for another jump down into a water area with a crusher (which I survived), but I couldn't find a way out.
So reloaded my savegame and rocketjumped onto the previously mentioned "unreachable" platform (I don't think this is how it's meant to be played). Had to kill some resistance in close quarters used the lava boots (also had to think about one) and had no more problems, although the almost invisible platforms in the last tower required many savegames.

It's a fun map but for the ledge on a timer (too short) and the waterarea without exit. (But perhaps I missed something essential?)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 09:51

Man you sure played Rayman and Tomb Raider a lot lol
There are definitely gameplay shortcomings as stated above (it's like you intentionally made it play like an unfinished Unreal beta level), though I enjoyed how long it actually was. Hell you actually based the level after a series of challenges, similar to how I envisioned it in that Unreal remake thread of mine, including an access gate to Tonatiuh. That was really cool.
ImageImage