Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Hard Crash Release!

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Xer06siX
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: Hard Crash Release!

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018, 21:29

I got five other level mock ups that didn't make the cut. Some of the things I was attempting to do, were not worth the outcome that was produced. Fans of DragonBallZ will notice Freiza's spaceship in level 7 and 8. I reused that model after DBZ: The Power Within went nowhere.
Aka -§ìlvèr§èrpënt "^v^"

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018, 19:13

Xer06siX wrote:Fans of DragonBallZ will notice Freiza's spaceship in level 7 and 8. I reused that model after DBZ: The Power Within went nowhere.

Aw yeah, the legs of those spaceships looked absolutely familiar. Kind of funny this time you actually use a Frieza-like spaceship to escape the planet without issues, lol.
ImageImage

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 23:58

What's the old saying? Screenshots or it didn't happen!

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018, 05:00

Well, that this is a campaign and not just a map, I'm not sure if screenshots wouldn't be just spoilers.

Xer06siX, great work man. Really, what a blast to play. I'm not finished, but so far, this is just terrific. Thanks for your work and it was worth the wait. Well done mate.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018, 05:49

I really can't wait until I have the time to sit down and play this. :)

UB, are you using the limbo mutator, or is this hard enough without it? Is there enough ammo?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018, 12:10

Lightning Hunter wrote:UB, are you using the limbo mutator, or is this hard enough without it? Is there enough ammo?

p.s. quote me if you want to alert me

It's sort of inconsistent. You get a massive amount of items from map 3 onward, more or less; there are however moments when health becomes completely nonexistent and then there are bosses that have a shitton of health. Was almost running out of ammo in the final level.

You may want to look forward what
salsaSkaarj wrote: 

might have to say if he's gonna play it. He's definitely more reliable than me when it comes to game balance as he at least plays the other difficulties, I stick on Unreal diff only. HC might also play slightly different depending which platform you choose (U1 or UT).
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018, 20:58

UBerserker wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:UB, are you using the limbo mutator, or is this hard enough without it? Is there enough ammo?

p.s. quote me if you want to alert me

It's sort of inconsistent. You get a massive amount of items from map 3 onward, more or less; there are however moments when health becomes completely nonexistent and then there are bosses that have a shitton of health. Was almost running out of ammo in the final level.

salsaSkaarj wrote: 

might have to say if he's gonna play it. He's definitely more reliable than me when it comes to game balance as he at least plays the other difficulties, I stick on Unreal diff only. HC might also play slightly different depending which platform you choose (U1 or UT).

Wow? I am now the reference for difficulty balance on various difficulty levels?
I'm flattered but I may have to diminish some enthusiasm here.
I can probably compare different settings fairly OK but I'm not convinced that I'm a good reference since my style of playing is totally different (slow, careful, always looking for retreat possibilities and distance killing.)
Having said this, I started playing last week (U227, not UT) on Medium and played until after the Warlord (lack of time).
I died on the first level once because of moving backwards and falling into deadly slime quite early in the map. Progression in that first map is a bit unclear but once you start revisiting earlier areas things happen which allow further progress. From then on I didn't really have any serious problems BUT I really took my time and gathered all ammo (also from the kills) which I mostly saved. The DP (as usual) was my favourite weapon for initial distance attacks (with lots of reloading pauses).
After the first maps I did flirt a bit too much due to overconfidence and was lucky on one occasion but generally the balance was OK and ammo relatively easy to find. I can't really remember too much but I think health wasn't easy to find).
The map in which I met the Warlord was difficult for me, probably because of the dark areas with the sneaky pupae. The Warlord itself was actually very easy because he has difficulties following the player in the ruins (outside he 's a pain because he's damn good at evading my fire).
The end of my campaign came later in the same map I think with the enhanced Skaarj, not because he is so dangerous (actually avoiding his attacks is a lot easier than you would expect) but because of running backwards like a drunk and getting stuck regularly.

The memories I have from playing the incomplete campaign many years ago don't correspond with what I encountered (I expected it to be a lot harder) but that probably because at that time my skill level was much lower.

So, my intermediate conclusion is that difficulty setting Medium is probably too low for me. Ammo provision seems to be OK, health could be a problem if things get heated up.(UB said inconsistent in difficulty and yes that a good description)

I guess LH shouldn't bother with Medium and even go for Unreal immediately, although if you don't get the armour quickly (a shield belt IIRC) health might be a problem.

When I have more time I'm going to restart (I have to since I forgot to take a savegame) on Hard.

Ow, BTW I almost didn't mention it, but I really had fun, the maps aren't (up to now) memorable for the design but the gameplay is certainly worth it.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018, 01:02

UBerserker wrote:

salsaSkaarj wrote:

Well, I asked you because I also never play anything lower than Unreal skill. I think our playing styles are very similar. I also conserve my ammo by getting up close and personal to make every flak shell and razor blade count (I get annoyed if I waste more than a few blades to obtain a headshot). However, I also get annoyed if I completely run out of ammo and health. The only map pack I ever had trouble with was Zero Black (even without Limbo), because I honestly believe Eddx never actually tested it. I heard that Unreality was impossible, but I never played it.

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic - but I always like to make sure I have a nice challenge. If Unreal skill is challenging enough, then I will first try it first without Limbo. I definitely won't go any lower in skill!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018, 13:49

The first map or two initially have somewhat limited supplies, but then you get tons of ammo after that.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018, 14:04

Map 2's item amount is ok enough I think. Map 5 (whatever is the one with the "challenges") is the one place where health is temporarily lacking - I only got through it because of the boss accidentally falling down rofl (also because I wasn't expecting health to be totally lacking all of a sudden).
ImageImage

User avatar Xer06siX
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018, 06:16

I'm toying around with the idea of a server friendly version of the pack... And another pack. Maybe a follow up may be stand alone. I had a lot of fun getting back into the old school editor, I don't think I'm done yet.
Aka -§ìlvèr§èrpënt "^v^"

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018, 10:51

Last week I had time to play the first map on Hard. It's a bit harder than Medium but not drastically since I managed to clear the map and thenmaximise health and armour (and had ammo to spare - I used mostly DP and enforcer and saved most of the other ammo). I'm now 100% sure difficulty Unreal is what LH will want.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018, 23:50

is this different than the hard crash that was posted in 2005?. I have that on my computer already.. I got it in 2005.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018, 00:23

radios wrote:is this different than the hard crash that was posted in 2005?. I have that on my computer already.. I got it in 2005.

This is the official release with all the maps, leaked one had few missing ones.
ImageImage

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018, 06:17

UBerserker wrote:
radios wrote:is this different than the hard crash that was posted in 2005?. I have that on my computer already.. I got it in 2005.

This is the official release with all the maps, leaked one had few missing ones.
ok, thanks..

Previous Next