Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

WTF Series 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: WTF Series 1

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 20:03

Hello everyone...I've been working on a project for Unreal called WTF Series 1. Originally called WTF Map Pack but no longer because i am not going to release all of the maps at once...so there will be series...WTF Series 2 and even 3 perhaps.

This project has taken me well over 2 years already (going on and off not constant) and i thought it was about time to present it to the biggest single player map forum ever :) Since it is almost complete...

First I'll start out with some screen shots:

As for the story line...its quite basic really...but I'm satisfied with it:

You lost contact with fellow team members of Cipe that were sent to the planet Learnu where the Skaarj were working on some bio experiment that could possibly wipe out humans off the face of the universe as we know it.
So you go flying your space craft over the planet trying to pick up there radio signal when suddenly KABOOM!!!
You were shot right out of the sky thanks to the Skaarj who detected you even though you had cloaking on.
As your speeding towards the planet at an alarming rate...you try to pull the ejection lever...but the vibration from falling closer and closer to the planet makes it almost impossible to get a grasp on it.
Just as your about to plumet right into the face of a cliff, you finally manage to pull the lever and go flying out...with a parachute (thank god) and that is where you start play :P

This map pack will be using a variety of custom packages such as U4E and Infiltration...including all new music that i converted myself.

Hope this interests the community...i will keep updated on events...pz :wink:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 20:25

does the pack still rely on Xcoop to beat it? This is a very important thing to mention on these forums because I think 0% of the people who post here use xcoop to run their single player games

glad you made a forum post here though on your project.. a good move and maybe you will get alot of good feedback when it is released (and maybe even a proper review!!)

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 20:43

No it does not require xcoop...unless you want to host it on a server. The reason for this is because on the fourth (and final) map, you need to be able to crouch through the vents...this is critical in order to finish the level. When playing it in single player mode however, this map by default uses a custom game type already modified for real time crouching (no its not xcoop...you may have heard of Horror Series?)

If there was maybe a mutator that would allow for real time crouching, then xcoop or for online play wouldn't be needed...this might be an idea in the future...

Also the new gametype DCoop supports real time crouching as well...which isn't finished yet but will be soon and there's a beta version available of it on www.oldunreal.com

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:30

Good of you to post about your project here. I'll be sure to give this one a whirl once it's out!
StalwartUK

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:40

was confused by the title.. but then saw something serious.. looking forward to this actually! :) :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 21:47

Shadow effects in the last pic are really delicious.
ImageImage

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008, 22:24

Darkon wrote:was confused by the title.. but then saw something serious.. looking forward to this actually! :) :tup:

Haha...sorry for the title...i didn't know what else to call it...but once you play this map pack you will understand why it is called WTF...i guarantee that at some point in this map pack...something will make you go "WTF" out loud haha :P

This is no ordinary map pack you see...i'll explain a bit later on :wink:

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 00:29

Thanks for bringing us the news of your project.

The name "WTF" brings to mind something like Cats 2, which consists of out of control gameplay with no serious attempt at a story or a particular atmosphere. Are you absolutely sure that it's the best name for your pack?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 01:53

No I'm not...but this is serious, you can trust me on that...and their is a story line and many translator messages that continue it :tup:

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 08:04

then a better name is warranted. But you're the mapper, i'll trust you here...

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 16:36

Shivaxi wrote:This is no ordinary map pack you see...i'll explain a bit later on :wink:

I have time to explain this now...

So first you start out parachuting down to the planet as said. Eventually (don't want to give it away as to how) you end up in a skaarj teleporting facility that ships goods and other things. You find some crew birth's logs, and disturbingly find that something is very wrong with the whole place....random and very akward reports of death, skaarj committing suicide, people (still meaning skaarj) disapearing without a trace...

See...in the next couple levels (again...don't want to give it away...it must be a suprise :P) gathering from the information you read, I'm sure you can understand that your dealing with something...well....i like to call it...the supernatural.

This opens up MANY new opportunities and ideas for the mapper (me) without it being TO crazy and stupid as to having no plot or story line...but with the supernatural, just about anything is possible while still keeping a good plot/story line.

This also gives me the opportunity to make some of the maps "scary". Nobody has really made a scary map for Unreal...nothing to make you jump anyway...that all changes with this map pack.

I think the player will see this when they place my map pack...and now hopefully you understand why i decided to name these maps "WTF"

P.S. I just have to say this....that the last map in the first release is unbelievably scary...i tested this on a couple friends, they jumped right outa there seats :D

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 18:01

Shivaxi wrote:This also gives me the opportunity to make some of the maps "scary". Nobody has really made a scary map for Unreal...nothing to make you jump anyway...that all changes with this map pack.

Did you ever play the first levels of 7Bullets where giant pupaes jump out from vents? That made me jump for sure :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 20:32

Frieza wrote:Did you ever play the first levels of 7Bullets where giant pupaes jump out from vents? That made me jump for sure :P

The first levels of 7B were scary for their whole theme: use of sounds, darkness, creepy stuff you see around like blood and crap left by the Scarred One.
The whole "enemies appear suddenly" thing is way too old to be considered scary. Just a generic OMG moment.

The best scary pieces are those ones that remain in your head for some days, and the Silent Hill games shine at it. Bloody and rusty room, with every door closed and devices that don't work as you wake up = win.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008, 20:42

I think when you have an interactive situation, like say a video game, the "OMFG AARG!" spook kinda stuff is genuinely scary if done properly. In a movie it's different, because it's essentially a cheap way to make a person jump. In a game, well the player is more involved. The spook happens to them, not some character on a screen. Hell, one of the most nerve racking games I've ever played was effective only on a simple "jump in your face" setup, and that game was AVP (as the marine). And it worked because there was a constant state of tension and the fact that the enemy onslaught was unpredictable every single time you played. It's amazing how a game with effective spawn point use can out-scare me more than so many of those "horror" themed games that try so hard to evoke a sense of dread :o

Of course, the king of the atmospheric creepers is still the Silent Hill series.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008, 00:56

Yeah, I stopped playing Silent Hill 2 just because I was too afraid to go on :| I'm a big pussy xD

Next