Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

WTF Series 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008, 13:51

Hellscrag wrote:With a trailer out now, I am overdue to post some news about your project. First, though, please can you clarify whether this project is for Unreal or UT? I am assuming Unreal but would like to be sure.

He said that it's for Unreal.
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008, 19:04

Looks.... interesting. Nice build, atmospheric music (but it's just a trailer, isn't it?) and the strange feeling that now the Skaarj are the ones who should be afraid, as the hunter is on the run.

Looking forward to it! :tup:
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008, 20:14

Thank you for all the comments :)

And yes Hell Scrag...this project is only for Unreal...although i assume it could easily be run with oldskool in UT....not sure though i haven't tried and nor do i want to take the time to try :P

About the music: To be honest i have no idea what it is from because i got it from one of my friends lol...i suppose ill ask him when i see him next :P

And yes Jethro...good guess actually...the skaarj are afraid...witch you actually find out why through some translator messages from the skaarj's "diary's" :P

I also want to take this opportunity to clarify something here:

The name is "WTF" for a reason. And one of those reasons is I'm horrible at naming things lol. For crying out loud my old clan was called "Da Noodle" :lol:

But it is also called "WTF" because i do believe that this map series will bring to you a whole new experience to Unreal unlike what most people are used to....which will bring about the "wtf" lol :P

And IronKnuckle I'm glad to see that you no longer thing that WTF Series 1 will be a "storyless experience with great, crazy, frantic, unique and wtf style of gameplay".....because its not like that at all.

Let me reveal something about this series which isn't exactly mentioned in the story line because it has nothing to do with the player....but it has to do with what HAPPENS to the player and where he goes. It is hinted though through some translator messages....but not exactly handed to you on a silver platter :P

You see, you (the player) end up in a Skaarj Portal Shipment Facility. Basically a facility where the Skaarj transport everything to all over their territory and their tarydium minds and such...you get the idea.

One of the tarydium mines they have linked to the Portal Facility was built over a Nali burial ground. And as everyone knows Nali's have some magistical and telekinetic powers which arent really used or pried upon in game play or even in other custom maps.

So i decided to "pry" upon this subject, thus creating a whole new way to play almost. This first series, im sorry to say, may not exactly show it all that much. But WTF Series 2 definitly will proceed further into this idea.

The Skaarj are afraid because weird super natural and un-explainable shit has started to happen ever since the mine was built over the nali burial ground. Random death's, strange sightings, even disappearances.

You see...the Skaarj are not your only enemy here...the Nali are pissed off....and they're not going to calm down over a measly human...
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008, 20:16

OH! And one more thing...I am HOPING to release this by this Wednesday (August 6th). But I'm HOPING....meaning I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not. So don't get your hopes to high :P

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008, 22:37

As soon as that? Blimey.

You say it "may" work in Oldskool w/ UT; I'd quite like to know for sure before I start playing it. I guess the best way to find out is to ask two questions.

(1) Is there any new UnrealScript? (I am assuming so)
(2) If yes, have you created a new GameType upon which the proper functionality of your gameplay is dependent?

If the answer is "Yes" to both questions then your mod will not function properly under Oldskool unless you create an optional download of an Oldskool code package for it (unless instructed otherwise by means of code, Oldskool overrides all DefaultGameTypes with oldskool.singleplayer2).

If the answer is "No" to either question then your mod probably will work under Oldskool but it cannot be guaranteed (a beta test might be a good idea).
Life is what you make of it.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008, 23:19

Okay, Peanuts is here to deliver some responses seeing as Shiv can't be here all the time.

The WTF series uses several packages, some being from infiltration, some being from U4E, and a couple others. Additional packages have been made by me or Shivaxi, including some new Uscript, music packages, and a bunch of additional sounds. Also, it utilizes realtime crouching/collision height altering, which is the main function of the horror gametype, made by (I believe) Dots. So no, I seriously doubt this series will work with Oldskool.

PS: I made the trailer. Shivaxi was the "actor" in the scenes with a playerpawn visible. The song is called "Tank Graveyard," by Paul Cantelon. It's from the Warner independent movie "Everything is Illuminated." I cut it in places to fit the trailer length and fit the WTF theme (the original song has a Ukranian sounding theme in parts).

PPS: I'm the co-mapper of the WTF series. I did some of the architecture in the mappack, along with giving Shiv some pointers, someone to call up on the phone when he just made something awesome, and supplying, as he mentioned, the flickering light update. It's a pleasure working with the guy.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008, 00:04

Thanks for the info Peanuts. I should amend the news post to include your name. In respect of the mod's Oldskool compatability, well, clearly it won't be at all compatible... so I'll use my RtNP 226b install rather than my UT install (I don't have an Unreal install as I play the original game through Oldskool).

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008, 00:50

lol Hellscrag....and awsome thanx :)

And SUUUURRREEE Peanuts take ALL the credit lol :P

Nah...i did forget to mention you though. :P

There are actually alot of minor people i have not mentioned...well...Peanuts isnt all that minor since he has even done some of the mapping....but alot of ppl helped with the scripting, making textures, making special triggers...

I suppose i will mention and thank all who have contributed to this project in anyway.

-Peanuts: For helping me create parts of the maps and giving ideas.

-Cheese: For his real time flashlight and for testing my maps.

-Matrix: For the making of all the special triggers and actors.

-Adaghar: Testing, ideas, BFF...

-Casey: More testing...

-Dots: Fixing elevator mover.

-Pcube: Just for being awesome and extremely supportive...keeping me in Unreal when i wanted to quit.

-Smirf: For tons of support...biggest thanx to you man...I'd probably not be here without you and Pcube.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008, 09:08

ok... look. I'm really interested in this project. But the thing is, if it only runs on unreal it automatically gets pushed down on my list of things to play. I still would play it, but not any time soon.

Nevertheless it sounds great!

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 05:20

TheIronKnuckle wrote:ok... look. I'm really interested in this project. But the thing is, if it only runs on unreal it automatically gets pushed down on my list of things to play. I still would play it, but not any time soon.

pfft.. same engine.. different game

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 08:52

jackrabbit wrote:
TheIronKnuckle wrote:ok... look. I'm really interested in this project. But the thing is, if it only runs on unreal it automatically gets pushed down on my list of things to play. I still would play it, but not any time soon.

UT has more enhancements to the engine, i prefer it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 10:32

TheIronKnuckle wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:

And as well, other gameplay-related stuff. Guess I'll never play this mappack then :(
ImageImage

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 13:33

:/ ...... Well, i think it would be time well spent by the creators of this pack if they put in that little extra effort to make it oldskool compatible. Unless it takes more than A little extra effort of course. :P

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008, 14:00

TheIronKnuckle wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:

Actually it doesn't since the 227 patch enhances the Unreal engine beyond what UT could ever do...

And to IronKnuckle...I do believe it would take more than a little extra effort seeing that there are mods that these maps use that I don't believe to be compatible with UT at all =/

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008, 21:15

Split has been made.. back to topic plz. :)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Previous Next