Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Quake to Unreal project

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Quake to Unreal project

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011, 21:05

I didn't look at it within a time frame. Quake1 was nice (I LOVE the weapons), but the environment itself was boring. Same with Q2. I liked it, but got bored with it. I played Q2 right before Unreal I believe and saw a connection in the first level, but when I went outside (nyleve), it was "aaaaahhhhh". I didn't have that with outside area's in Q2. Unreal used more colors, nicer environments, etc.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011, 22:57

Well, yea, true. Still, Quake 1 was meant to be gloomy and dark and castle-ish and hell-ish and such. I played Quake a lot, multiplayer as well and... Well, these games are just different. True, that Unreal has better environments and everything. But, Quake was first. It was 4 years before Unreal. I think this does mean something.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011, 02:42

Qtit wrote:Well, yea, true. Still, Quake 1 was meant to be gloomy and dark and castle-ish and hell-ish and such. I played Quake a lot, multiplayer as well and... Well, these games are just different. True, that Unreal has better environments and everything. But, Quake was first. It was 4 years before Unreal. I think this does mean something.

Yes...it means it was 4 years before Unreal xD
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

replay88
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011, 05:41

Qtit wrote:Well, yea, true. Still, Quake 1 was meant to be gloomy and dark and castle-ish and hell-ish and such. I played Quake a lot, multiplayer as well and... Well, these games are just different. True, that Unreal has better environments and everything. But, Quake was first. It was 4 years before Unreal. I think this does mean something.

I was starting to come in at 3rd place on up in DM almost every match, was so addicted, seen my internet usage (28.8k modem) was online in one month for 200hours plus, eeeeuw.
lol

so I had to stop that, I didn't stop playing quake till after UT came out, Painkeep was friggen awesome man.I sure wish Painkeep could be recreaterd for UT99.
I asked one of the guys who made Painkeep, he said even if we could do it, it was too much work.

ahh well,
Painkeep was redone for quake3, but it lost it's coolness, Q3 just didn't improve Quake to me for some reason.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 01:42

Those who call themselves fans of Unreal ought to be kindhearted towards Quake, as so much of what Unreal is began as a humble Quake clone. I can't be the only one who remembers what Alpha Unreal looked like, and what style it was emulating.

I've been vocal in the past about how I forsook Quake 3 Arena for UT (a wise decision), but I will always give ID the benefit of the doubt, even when they make the occasional misstep. As for a Quake-to-Unreal project, my reaction would be the same for any mod concept that is essentially a port; just play the original game, no?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 02:14

Mister_Prophet wrote:Those who call themselves fans of Unreal ought to be kindhearted towards Quake, as so much of what Unreal is began as a humble Quake clone. I can't be the only one who remembers what Alpha Unreal looked like, and what style it was emulating.

I've been vocal in the past about how I forsook Quake 3 Arena for UT (a wise decision), but I will always give ID the benefit of the doubt, even when they make the occasional misstep. As for a Quake-to-Unreal project, my reaction would be the same for any mod concept that is essentially a port; just play the original game, no?

Pretty much the reason why this project died in the first place :rolleyes:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 02:47

Mister_Prophet wrote: As for a Quake-to-Unreal project, my reaction would be the same for any mod concept that is essentially a port; just play the original game, no?

While I agree with this reasoning in general, you can't deny that it would be fun to play Quake with Unreal weapons or vice versa!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 03:38

Eh, I can deny it :)

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 04:18

I'm not a huge fan of Ports either (I find 90% of them are bullshit and not even close to the real thing). For that reason, I usually stay away from porting content directly from other games. Only people who "know what the f&*% they are doing" between engines can only make an accurate and proper conversion. Brian (the author of the quake 1 weapons port to Unreal) happens to be a person who can translate accurately the functionality and look of the Quake 1 weapons for Unreal. For that reason, I'd say that this can actually make some Quake fans really enjoy the mod for Unreal. With that said, some might still find small flaws within the mod which could make them not want to use it and I sure as hell wouldn't blame them for that.

Personally for me, I've only used the mod like 2 times (once when recording the video) because I'm not a huge Quake fan. I can't say if the mod is truly accurate to the game or not, but from what I've experienced it sure does feel like I'm playing Quake in Unreal.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 14:29

One thing I don't mind, and enjoy quite a lot for reasons I'm too tired to articulate, is porting specific/reimagining maps between games. So finding facing worlds in halo, or bloodgulch in unreal (not the best examples I know :P ). I get a kick out of it. Even if you just get a mixing of themes across games, so a deck 16 in a doom-ish visual style.

That's part of why i'd love to get a link to this map some time :P :

ImageImage
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Previous