Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Quake to Unreal project

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Quake to Unreal project

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 03:21

Adaghar is putting together a team to convert all the Quake maps and all other Quake materials (weapons, monsters...) to Unreal. All help is needed and appreciated...so if you think you can contribute in ANYway (mapping, converting, mesh's, scripting, weapons....) please go here...

http://www.freewebs.com/shivaxi/memberscontactinfo.htm

...and contact Adaghar by any of the following address's located there under his contact name.

On a side note....do not expect this anytime soon...since we literally JUST started this project and have already ran into some annoying problems -_-
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 06:53

Interesting idea, I like it. :D

If you need Highres textures (I think you don`t want to use the quake 1 original ones) I could suggest you to search for Texturepack_Ultra_for_Quake_Darkplaces.
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

--------------------------------------------------
>:E

User avatar ElectricIce

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 11:53

Hasn't Dots Converted Quake?, no wait was that Doom?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 11:55

{WINGS}Zombiehunter wrote:Hasn't Dots Converted Quake?, no wait was that Doom?

He converted Doom... ...
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: Quake to Unreal project

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 12:44

Shivaxi wrote:Adaghar is putting together a team to convert all the Quake maps and all other Quake materials (weapons, monsters...) to Unreal. All help is needed and appreciated...so if you think you can contribute in ANYway (mapping, converting, mesh's, scripting, weapons....) please go here...

It bothers me a bit to see energetic mappers / modders embarking on projects like this as they are essentially pointless. Unless you are proposing to give the original game a very significant visual overhaul (including new high-res models and textures and more detailed maps), how is playing Quake under Unreal any better than playing it under Quake?

IMO your efforts would be better spent creating something original while you still have the time and energy...
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 13:35

Can't agree more with Scrag.

Just install the real Quake and you're already set.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 13:36

UBerserker wrote:Can't agree more with Scrag.

Just install the real Quake and you're already set.

Exactly... it's not exactly a big install in this day and age, is it?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 13:41

I remember it to be around 400 MB.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 13:43

UBerserker wrote:I remember it to be around 400 MB.

No way... that's a standard Unreal install. IIRC Quake is 100MB at most...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 13:45

Hellscrag wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I remember it to be around 400 MB.

No way... that's a standard Unreal install. IIRC Quake is 100MB at most...

Yeah, I probably made a confusion with Unreal and UT.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 14:29

contact page was loading slowly... and then I saw an ad for huggies diapers :lol: :tup:

Quake has some maps that are cool.. but yeah.. besides those, why convert it to Unreal?
Just reminds me of those maps that were converted from Duke3d to Unreal. Was nice, but.. we've all seen it before, so.. why play it? .. know what I mean?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 15:40

... well HScrag has a point and i agree with it, however, i also love Quake 1 and [classic] DooM games (pointless war between wich franchise is best, they all are good at something diferent...), and i glad someone proposes to do these conversions, because i've never edited cr4p with iD games (UnrealEd FTW!!).

I was hoping there would be some handy mutator for UT (since playing with muts in Unreal is lot of work to setup - yes, i'm a Keep It Simple Stupid supporter, things have to be n00b friendly, not everybody has the time to memorize console commands or cvars, you know? :P ), so that i could easily pop-up some DooM weapon set or Quake 1 weapon set on my Dm experience on the fly. Since you are going to do it for Unreal, can you PLEASE do those mutator for UT? PLEASE! (also, where's that DooM stuff for Unreal?)

BUT

I have some doubts about this project:
1. since many mappers have converted in one way or another most (all?) Dm maps of Quake 1 in one way or another, is it really necessary to have another conversions? Even if you'll supposedly use the actual Quake open source?

2. i totally support you guys bringing the Quake weapons, items and creatures to Unreal-friendly world, but if you do exact conversions, you'll most likely get a cease and desist order from iD. A Quake3Arena mod called Generations (aiming to bring Quake 1, 2, 3 , Wolfenstein, and DooM weapons and gameplay to the Q3A game) had to struggle to have iD permission, and i'm not sure how the went (though the mod is still in the works - betas already released). Please inform yourselves on this PRIOR to get some people's expectations high (like me).

3. bringing the SP maps and experience would be interesting, but i don't know if you'll even get ANY permission to do so, as even Quake 1 is not freeware, i think. And if iD allowed that and other IP freebies on Quake 1, why'd still be selling it (even at Steam it seems)... tread carefully

So, i'm supporting you guys on this, but LAW might get in the way. I don't know this for sure, but if you try to bring the Quake 1 weapon set to Unreal using other names, and slightly different (but not much!) weapon models and skins, you'd be free of the legal hassles. As in:

Quake:
1.Axe
2.Shotgun
3.Super Shotgun
4.NailGun
5.Super Nailgun
6.Grenade Launcher
7.Rocket Launcher
8.Lightning Gun

you could use even silly names (i'm not sure, but even Generations did with some stuff):

1. Axe...well it's an axe and iD doesn't have copyright on axes, but the model could be slightly different...
2. <same as Axe>
3. <same as Axe>
4. <same as Axe, or actually changing the projectile and name, maybe something to do with the Unreal Stinger... but actually cool :B
5. <same as above>
6. this is funny, i believe Generations called it pineaple launcher :B
7. well, no mistery here... its a rocket launcher <same as Axe>
8. this could be tricky... or not. EPIC has one in UT2004 despite being different in functionality, but you could admit in using here something using (and named) after the UT Puls Rifle's secondary, minus silly green color

Well, hope it helps somewhat! And keep us posted around here :)
...'sharp dressed man'...

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 16:03

... sorry for double post, but this has anything to do with tou people (or .:..:)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYU9NMsN3ZE ...it looks fun BTW :)
...'sharp dressed man'...

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 16:28

It is a mod made by .:..: (who is also responsible for the C++ particle emitter and several other very awesome Unreal scripts)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ElectricIce

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008, 16:34

Dots, is like a living legend by the scripters XD I admire his works too.

Next