ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Quake to Unreal project

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: Quake to Unreal project

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010, 21:55

Yes lol :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011, 01:15

Shivaxi wrote:No...it died because importing the maps was a bitch to get working...and even when we did get it to work...we'd have to re-texture everything ourselves...Also Matrix had a hard time importing models and stuff. It was just too much work.

However, Ryuka is now converting everything over, weapons, pawns, items, etc...everything except the maps themselves...but since all this stuff is going to be fully functional...we may give it another shot at porting the maps....but i wouldnt get your hopes up =P

So nice to finally read someone acknowledging that.

I say make the dang thing, we need an exact duplicate of maps to player size conversion, and slightly slippery floors, not as much a quake1 but not as much friction as stock UT.

The weapons can just be made, no need to copy them as long as the ratio of hit points stays the same, fire speed, distance, all settings, and or shields adjusted (and re made) for hit point absorption ratio.And the quad work the same as UT power and times.

All the decoration stuff doesn't matter.

Yes to do BSP rips, and keep the size right is VERY doable, and yes it is a lot of texture aligning, after you fix BSP holes.

I think BSP size ends up at about 1.3 larger than Quake1, you need to stand in a hallway to bump your head in Quake, then compare that bump while in UT.Then shoot gun to see if the shot hits exactly the same, shooting at an open windowsill while hitting the, "centerview", (using smallest projectile) key in both games.A few other tests like jumping, and fittting through or not through, the size comes out pretty damn good for UT.

By a certain size factor, using the original textures you start to find the correct texture ratio while in UT.
If a wall has 6 bricks high in quake, make it 6 bricks high in UT.
You will start to see a pattern for size on most walls (not all) for the correct texture ratios.It does take a long time to make it look the same.

It really don't need to use the original textures to lighten the building load.

fun for me
Last edited by redeye on 29 Jan 2011, 05:52, edited 2 times in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011, 02:00

Somebody from the Unreal 1 scene has already ported most (Perhaps all of them) of the weapons, right down to the explosion and smoke effects. I've also seen the monsters too, but not by the same person. I'm not sure if that pack even exists anymore.

I'm not sure about maps though. I think current tools export the maps as a full brush, rather than small chunks meaning junk like doors and lifts are part of the level geometry. (Although, there could be a way to overcome this with advanced mapping techniques, I'm not sure.)

Like I said in a previous post, It's difficult/annoying/time-consuming to convert the map, rip the textures, import the map, add lights, assign textures and align them, create doors/lifts and then place items in the level. It would probably be much easier to use the imported map as a reference and create it again from scratch. I once ported cs_italy and half-textured it but I got very bored in the process and ended up deleting it out of sheer frustration.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011, 04:27

Do you have a link regarding the weapons?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011, 11:34

I'll ask him next time he is on msn, but I don't think he has any plans to release them :(

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011, 14:42

redeye wrote:
Shivaxi wrote:No...it died because importing the maps was a bitch to get working...and even when we did get it to work...we'd have to re-texture everything ourselves...Also Matrix had a hard time importing models and stuff. It was just too much work.

However, Ryuka is now converting everything over, weapons, pawns, items, etc...everything except the maps themselves...but since all this stuff is going to be fully functional...we may give it another shot at porting the maps....but i wouldnt get your hopes up =P

So nice to finally read someone acknowledging that.

I say make the dang thing, we need an exact duplicate of maps to player size conversion, and slightly slippery floors, not as much a quake1 but not as much friction as stock UT.

The weapons can just be made, no need to copy them as long as the ratio of hit points stays the same, fire speed, distance, all settings, and or shields adjusted (and re made) for hit point absorption ratio.And the quad work the same as UT power and times.

All the decoration stuff doesn't matter.

Yes to do BSP rips, and keep the size right is VERY doable, and yes it is a lot of texture aligning, after you fix BSP holes.

I think BSP size ends up at about 1.3 larger than Quake1, you need to stand in a hallway to bump your head in Quake, then compare that bump while in UT.Then shoot gun to see if the shot hits exactly the same, shooting at an open windowsill while hitting the, "centerview", (using smallest projectile) key in both games.A few other tests like jumping, and fittting through or not through, the size comes out pretty damn good for UT.

By a certain size factor, using the original textures you start to find the correct texture ratio while in UT.
If a wall has 6 bricks high in quake, make it 6 bricks high in UT.
You will start to see a pattern for size on most walls (not all) for the correct texture ratios.It does take a long time to make it look the same.

It really don't need to use the original textures to lighten the building load.

fun for me

First of all...I don't play UT. So I wouldn't be using UT99 as a reference anyway. And if the maps imported were larger or smaller in scale, it'd probably be easier to make a new player class that was bigger or smaller with edited run/walk speeds so that it played like it does in normal Quake 1, instead of trying to resize entire maps. When I imported the start map though, it seemed fine to me, scale wise, but I could too easily jump over that lava pit to the hard difficulty mode portal lol. Was able to run WAY too fast...but that's Unreal for ya =P

Unreal also doesn't have super friction like UT99 does :P

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Rob_KC
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011, 17:58

I know a guy named Master_Unreal who ported the fiend, zombie, knight, and atleas one other quake pawn. I can send that to you.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011, 02:21

Sure if ya got it...PM me ^^

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011, 14:52

Rob_KC wrote:I know a guy named Master_Unreal who ported the fiend, zombie, knight, and atleas one other quake pawn. I can send that to you.

welcome to the forums!

still... does anyone have a link to the Q1 weapons?... (if they exist)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011, 15:44

I second this. Q1 weapons would be really neat to see.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011, 12:48

here is the unreleased mod by Gyiyg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mb3sa6-RQ

It's been a while now, but I believe the last update was fixing the shotgun mesh (done by me in Lightwave) and it turned out nicely. I think this mod is ready for release. Just keep the author "Gyiyg" in mind. You can visit his youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/gyiyg996

He is known for not publicly releasing any of his mods, but I'm sure he doesn't mind others enjoying them as well.

User avatar Rob_KC
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011, 04:27

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011, 08:21

I spy a BINARY FILE (Linux throws hisifit at that link). What is it?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011, 15:37

Would love to see Q1 weps released. Everything seemed fine in that video...only missing the lightning gun xD :D

@ Rob_KC: Yeah what exactly is that file? It has no extension =/

EDIT: Changed it to .u and it worked.

Pawns are pretty cool actually, work better then I expected. Could use some work, like zombies take a lot of explosive power to blow them to gibs...but I do like how they keep getting back up with non-explosive weps. Was always one of my favorite zombie features in any game. sucks in Q1 when u run out of grenades and rockets haha. Also if you stand still against the fiend...he just keeps leaping way over your head over and over xD

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011, 17:15

That mod isn't finished people, what Rob posted is a merely a cache rip leak obviously. Wait for the final version, there is thread about it at BUF. In fact the link should be perhaps taken down.

The mod wasn't sent to Rob at all and he wasn't allowed posting it.

Previous Next