Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Unreal-Search:Prelude

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009, 19:17

I could pass it and will play it this evening - common guys it's just 10 minutes wait for a 70MB zip file with cool Unreal stuf!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009, 19:57

Interesting. Has account been taken of comments made at an early stage, in which it was noted that the placement of many of the creatures was unchanged from the original RtNP?
Life is what you make of it.

dinwitty
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009, 01:58

DMVilla double dot I will fix and re-up the whole file, in the meantime, just rename it erasing the extra dot.

rememeber there is new mappage in here. As far as creature placement in many maps there are changes, in some maps like Foundry/Toxic not serious changes but some enhancements. I can't change CliffyB's good work. Yes the Big lift is fixed and for coop.

dinwitty

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009, 03:36

http://www.klankaos.com/usearchpv1a.zip

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Dow ... chpv1a.zip

mirrors

I will have updates, I may be changing webhosting to Beyondunreal, I'll be making various info changes.

agrund

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009, 16:43

Thanks for the mirrors!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 17:20

ok.. now what is the difference between this and RtNP?
I know this is made, so that people can play it that do not own RtNP, or can't play it (mac).. but what else is there?

I remember playing it a long time ago.. and saw that a (at least 1) DM map were converted and put in there (temple map).. but what else is there?
(and don't say "just play it"..)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 19:32

I remember the demo having bots in it...

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 21:31

The difference between this and RTNP is huge, and then again nothing exceptional.
I started playing yesterday and was surprised to see a lot of RTNP (not having realised it's a vamped RTNP).
There are new enemies (luckily no marines - up to now) in existing maps (and a very surprising one in a hidden section, existing maps have been optimiosed a little and modified, and there are new maps (some I new about - some DM maps and some I have never seen before).
The story progresses differently (and more logically) whihc is a nice touch and I feel it's harder than RTNP.

There are however a couple of downpoints:

The codebox (new item introduced) doesn't come with instructions. So it took me quite some time to know how and when to use it.

For the first fight with the news enemies you are equiped with the revolver, the DP .... and that's it - and although I don't consider it unfair for a seasoned player, those who are used to playing on Easy (or even Medium) will find this very difficult.

I had a couple of technical problems when I ran out of ammo for the flak - weapon changed to the stinger and I couldn't change it any more, not even when I ran out of stinger ammo. saving and reloading solved this, as did picking up a new Flak (but picking up Flak ammo didn't help). (using 227 and OpenGL)

Found a couple of HOMs in RTNP maps which I can't remember being there before).

I have now just passed UFHUb6 and am stuck on the following map (Innox modded). More than, an hour running in circles, dying in icy of boiling liquid, having no clue at all on what to do. This map is a stereotype of what I don't like, even ghosting hasn't helped in finding my way to the next level.

Up to now, it mostly pleasing but for this latest map.

Question: I am planning on playing again and then writing down the things I see that are buggered. Any place to post those (e.g. in this topic) or should it go through PM?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 21:34

Don't tell me that there's that crapsack, heavily unfinished Cryox?
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 23:29

salsaSkaarj wrote:I have now just passed UFHUb6 and am stuck on the following map (Innox modded).

UBerserker wrote:Don't tell me that there's that crapsack, heavily unfinished Cryox?

Well, I didn't know the filename of the map so just now I opened the UCryox and yes, that's the one.
Totally not the kind of map I enjoy playing. (and even though storywise there does seem to be a point for such a hydraulic complex, it's much too mazelike and full of roundabouts).

In all honesty, I ghosted through the whole map and it's a hell of a design, some serious conceptual inspiration there well worth receiving credit. But in terms of getting the feeling there's a purpose to all this, nothing at all, correction, it feels like I'm walking/swimming in circles - just too many bends and turns and total disorientation (I can't even follow all these bends in ghost mode).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 23:48

Welcome to Mercenary designed ships. I memorized the entire (original) map after two playthroughs.

I like the Cryox concept, as it would probably looked a creepy map with Inoxx.umx; but it's way too unfinished to be enjoyable. It's a bust that Inoxx and War's maps were so unfinished in the beta, as they were my favourite mappers of the Unreal dev team.
ImageImage

dinwitty

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 00:04

I gave cryoxx the workover, as in the original it was unfinishable, I found everything its supposed to do and fixed it. Unless you chance find it its tough.
But its all there and finishable, so keep trying.

But I'll hint ya. 2nd room single Mercenary.

There is a passage blocked , you bang into it it electrocutes (does no damage)

The level reminded me of Cellars of Dasa Pass, I got to a point I dunno how to continue so I refered to a walkthru.

The level is all about the obvious is not the obvious.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 09:38

dinwitty wrote:...

That blocked passage i svery near the beginning I think and is opened after killing the lone mercenary and stepping through that screen or something. Then return to tha almost level start and that blocked passage is open

I have killed everything reachable (except perhaps for a blue? slith in one of the pipes I noticed when ghosting).

I have explored every room reachable (I check using ghost to see if there is a room I didn't reach), and switched every switch or something which could be a switch.

I ghosted all the pipes (suit and scubagear don't last long enough, in fact it hurts from the beginning).

Now ordinarily I wouldn't be bothered all that much, but here I can't find the levelexit. Dasa Cellars weren't much of a problem to me. The Mothership levels in Unreal were confusing, getting worse in Darkening but I have never felt like this before (hey that's a song) just moving around not having a clue about what I'm doing.

Maybe it's just me aand I for one reason or the other am missing soem obvious things, but I am really curious what other players (experienced and not so experienced) think about this level.

BTW I would still appreciate more hints (or a walkthgrough) for this level (by PM if you don't want to spoil the fun for others)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 13:51

salsaSkaarj wrote: The Mothership levels in Unreal were confusing, getting worse in Darkening but I have never felt like this before (hey that's a song) just moving around not having a clue about what I'm doing.

The Mothership is one of the least confusing places of Unreal. Or better, it's not confusing at all.
Cryox is the real definition of how an Unreal map is confusing.
ImageImage

dinwitty

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009, 03:34

salsaSkaarj wrote:
dinwitty wrote:...

That blocked passage i svery near the beginning I think and is opened after killing the lone mercenary and stepping through that screen or something. Then return to tha almost level start and that blocked passage is open

I have killed everything reachable (except perhaps for a blue? slith in one of the pipes I noticed when ghosting).

I have explored every room reachable (I check using ghost to see if there is a room I didn't reach), and switched every switch or something which could be a switch.

I ghosted all the pipes (suit and scubagear don't last long enough, in fact it hurts from the beginning).

Now ordinarily I wouldn't be bothered all that much, but here I can't find the levelexit. Dasa Cellars weren't much of a problem to me. The Mothership levels in Unreal were confusing, getting worse in Darkening but I have never felt like this before (hey that's a song) just moving around not having a clue about what I'm doing.

Maybe it's just me aand I for one reason or the other am missing soem obvious things, but I am really curious what other players (experienced and not so experienced) think about this level.

BTW I would still appreciate more hints (or a walkthgrough) for this level (by PM if you don't want to spoil the fun for others)

the suit is supposed to protect you. I'll have to recheck this.

Previous Next