Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Futurology

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Futurology

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 21:37

Hi!

Sorry for my bad english... I just begun to gather a team for realisation of my things. (Now we are only three.) I made concepts for a new animation movie which is based on Unreal Engine 2. Yes, it is a movie and not a playable mod, but i thinked so that much easier to make this in UnralEd2 like in 3D Studio Max or Maya... I selected Futurology as title and am now on to finish the story and translate it to english. Meantime I hope that will more people join to my team, and after when I finish that, we can begin to realize it. If anybody interested in this, please send me a private message.

Inforamtions about this "mod":
  • This is a story from near future, where peoples fighting for habitable territories. The most parts of Earth is dangerous because cataclysms and/or toxic gases and nuclear radiations. In this war the remain peoples have no hope to survive... Here I don't continue, if this movie will complete, anybody can see what will be end of this story. :)
  • I strarted this project to our 'environment protection group' (a little like Greenpeace) can project this for peoples who are interested in this. (In this organisation I'm the graphical leader, but this is an exterior project.)
  • After this project anybody can reach it for free and use for his things, like in an opensource program...

My advantages are in drawing (Concept Art), music creating, story writing, Photoshop, not so more but in 3D Studio Max and in UnrealEd... I need good mappers, script writers and modellers. In my team now are one mapper and modeller, and one photographer (he will make photos as concepts).

Note: If I missed the forum, please order me to better place, where I can find peoples for my project... Thx!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 22:29

Interesting project.. but .. WHY a movie?
I mean.. then there's no interaction for the 'player'....so... why?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008, 23:41

I wish to make it for all age groups. Even for peoples who haven't time for playing (work, family, etc.)... But at least, if everything will be completed then it won't be so hard to make it playable.
I planned so, that after this movie become a real movie (AVI or DVD Video) anybody will have ability to watch it without necessarity of UT 2004.

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Nobody?

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008, 22:04

Here's past one day and nothing... Hey guys, come on! It's impossible that nobody not interested in this project!

I began to draw models, too. Here's one of them:

Somebody from our civil organisation asked on last gathering that why we (graphic designers) not make a comic for the "Képes Ifjúság" named newspaper? It's a good idea, but better idea is that I with my designers make a comic and meantime we working on Futurology project. If peoples will like that comic maybe will like this movie...
Last edited by Ethax on 18 Sep 2008, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008, 22:34

People here are much more into something that you can play I think... and then particularly SinglePlayer, altho MultiPlayer is also discussed. A movie project then is something totally different! :)
And people may think of the halo movieclips (or the like) on youtube, so won't really know your ambitions in this.

What can we expect? Could you show us an example of your work?

Edit: oh.. and it might be an idea to host your pictures somewhere else.. as in photobucket or some other free hosting place; the website you have it on is slower than molasses; I have a pretty fast connection here, but it downloads it as if I'm using a 96 baud modem... :/

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008, 22:54

Darkon wrote:Edit: oh.. and it might be an idea to host your pictures somewhere else.. as in photobucket or some other free hosting place; the website you have it on is slower than molasses; I have a pretty fast connection here, but it downloads it as if I'm using a 96 baud modem... :/

Can't agree more. It doesn't even appear for me.
ImageImage

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008, 23:21

Darkon wrote:And people may think of the halo movieclips (or the like) on youtube, so won't really know your ambitions in this.

In most SP mods are small movieclips, like intro, outro, etc. The best example is the intro movie of UT2004: it's just a map, where cameras are moved in signified paths. I thinked similar to this, but much longer... Therefore I said that it can be easily a playable game, not only a movie.

Darkon wrote:What can we expect? Could you show us an example of your work?

Naturally yes! However only what I can: drawings, parts of the story, etc. If we select this story for our comic project, then I can show that as well...

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2008, 23:33

Ethax wrote:
Darkon wrote:And people may think of the halo movieclips (or the like) on youtube, so won't really know your ambitions in this.

In most SP mods are small movieclips, like intro, outro, etc. The best example is the intro movie of UT2004: it's just a map, where cameras are moved in signified paths. I thinked similar to this, but much longer... Therefore I said that it can be easily a playable game, not only a movie.

Are you referring to... this one(intro movie of UT2004)?

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 00:52

Darkon wrote:Are you referring to... this one(intro movie of UT2004)?

Yes, or like this and at least this one...
These are simple maps with scripted moves and predefinied camera paths, and my project is similar. Yes, a little different than a Single Player mod but not so, and not easier as well...

User avatar GenMoKai
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 07:00

Hmmm the pistol looks good on paper :D but is it now getting a SP project with some movie parts in it or more a movie ? im a bit confused :?
Darkon wrote:NOT a stupid question btw.. questions are not stupid.

Ok.. they can be retarded and obvious, but not stupid. :P
(questions about Ued are not stupid at all...and not retarded or obvious either.)

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 14:39

GenMoKai wrote:Hmmm the pistol looks good on paper :D but is it now getting a SP project with some movie parts in it or more a movie ? im a bit confused :?

As far as I can tell... it's gonna be a complete movie. No interaction.

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 15:33

GenMoKai wrote:Hmmm the pistol looks good on paper :D but is it now getting a SP project with some movie parts in it or more a movie ? im a bit confused :?

I thinked so that my plans will not cause confusion, but sorry if yes...
So, I explain my project more detailed:
Every intros, ingame dialogues and/or movies are simple maps where every movements and actions are predefinied (with triggers). But this isn't rare in SP maps, too. (For Examp.: If the player reaches to new place where new enemies waiting for him, a short movie may show him what will comes next...)
So, I thinked that we make a SP mod, where player only can see what happening. In this form this will be very boring, because is this only the first phase of this project. The second is the exporting entire "triggered happenings" (in a word: the movie) to an AVI file with an external program (which can capture the screen and save it to video file) and cut them to become an exciting movie what anybody can play with his favorite video player.
Maps are scenes, all event is triggered, but at least we going to make maps, from which we can make a playable SP mod, too.
However I won't use UT2004's characters because it's a defferent story in different time. Because good modellers are needed to make new characters, weapons, vehicles, etc.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 19:07

Good modellers and animators are, in my experience, the very hardest people to find to work on a "free" mod. In any event, UnrealSP.Org is certainly not the best place for you to start your search: we are a very small community, whose interest in the Unreal series focuses primarily on the single player mods available for the original Unreal and UT. This site is not a major hangout for UT2004 content creators.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Ethax
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 19:52

I chose this site because I played every SP mod which are avaiable here (Deja Vu, Operation NaPali, 7Bullets, Xidia, Legacy, etc.) and I hoped that here will find the best peoples for my project... So, I have an other almost complete plan for a SP mod (really a mod and not a movie), but I will explain it later. However I like the original UT (and it runs on my notebook, too :)) but for a movie I thinked about the UT2004...

Hellscrag wrote:This site is not a major hangout for UT2004 content creators.

Can you suggest me a good place where I can find peoples for my UT2004 based project?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008, 20:02

Ethax wrote:Can you suggest me a good place where I can find peoples for my UT2004 based project?

Maybe the UT2004 section of Beyond Unreal Forums.
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131
ImageImage