Scout-kun is a lie... right?

READ: "Upcoming Maps Page" rules

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009, 18:52

TheIronKnuckle wrote:just an observation: this current upcoming maps page is a bit ugly.

Well, that's what happens when you no longer have full editorial control. :P

I think having screenies on the Upcoming Maps page is important for people who just want a "summary" of the current upcoming projects. However, I am willing to listen to suggestions as to how screenshots should be handled - things like that are the reason the page is currently a "beta".

There are also probably ways to improve the way posts are displayed / separated on the main page.

Personally, I'm not keen on just having one large picture. I don't think that would make the page look much more elegant.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009, 19:57

Can you by chance enforce the traditional 1px white border on the pictures? For example you might try to do so by adding a table/cell with said border around pictures when you parse the tags for the site.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009, 20:19

Hellscrag wrote:
TheIronKnuckle wrote:just an observation: this current upcoming maps page is a bit ugly.

Well, that's what happens when you no longer have full editorial control. :P

I actually like the raw look of it now. It help people get a better idea of what they are looking at realistically rather than some "photoshopped" edits to give the images a more appealing look on the page. Now your average Joe that doesn't visit the forums will get a real initial judge of how much graphic quality that certain team puts into their pack. As we all know, the graphics and build are certainty not everything that makes people engaged to play it, but at least its a start.

As for the developers, it gives them the freedom to choose how well they want to represent their pack and how much effort they think should go in to doing that.

Overall, I think having it the way it is right now is the most healthy choice for the community in general :tup:. It could be separated by a main page with just links to each separate project in development though.. that wouldn't hurt imo.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009, 22:45

sana wrote:Can you by chance enforce the traditional 1px white border on the pictures? For example you might try to do so by adding a table/cell with said border around pictures when you parse the tags for the site.

just with some css should work as well.
img { border: 1px solid #FFFFFF; }

(I THINK.. am not sure.. :lol: I work with css and love it, but the thing above is just theory.. haven't tried it myself.. 8) )
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2009, 00:34

Ahh! That looks much better! See, that's what i mean, if everyone just kept their screens at that size the page would look much neater. But i agree that it would be good to bring back the white border. Icing on the cake.

edit: oh yeah, shivaxi, for your entry it says:

Code: Select all

Links: http://www.freewebs.com/shivaxi/[/img">

You want to get rid of the "[/img">" that's hanging around the end of the URL? :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2009, 04:03

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Ahh! That looks much better! See, that's what i mean, if everyone just kept their screens at that size the page would look much neater. But i agree that it would be good to bring back the white border. Icing on the cake.

edit: oh yeah, shivaxi, for your entry it says:

Code: Select all

Links: http://www.freewebs.com/shivaxi/[/img">

You want to get rid of the "[/img">" that's hanging around the end of the URL? :P

What the heck? Checking that out now...

EDIT: Fixed 8)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009, 16:25

The Upcoming maps page has gone a bit odd, and has stretched in a weird way :/

I think it might be one of WTF2's images, but I can't be sure.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009, 17:17

Thanks. That's the problem with letting other users manage the page - I lose editorial control!

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009, 12:12

One of the things on the upcoming maps page has made it go weird & lose the yellow border on the right side of the screen.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2009, 12:18

Legendslayer222 wrote:One of the things on the upcoming maps page has made it go weird & lose the yellow border on the right side of the screen.

What screen resolution are you running in?

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 19:40

The Upcoming Maps page is a mess. See for yourself (click). Perhaps the project leaders could be urged to clean up their first posts?
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 19:45

Yeah - there should be ONE template everyone should use!
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 19:52

Holy shit that Shamuquest thing is absurdly huge.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 19:54

Maybe it could be like a slightly modified version of the forum, so each mod has a link on the base upcoming maps page with a small description (the main difference) and then following the link takes you to the actual mod thread (which would make the clashing styles much less jarring). I'm not sure that's possible though.
Last edited by Semfry on 27 Apr 2010, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 19:56

That's pretty much what I did with EXU2. Upcoming maps thread = one thing which I barely use, and it has a link to the current EXU2 thread in THIS forum which is active and has a lot of information in it.

Previous Next