This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Nightmare v2.01 for Unreal - OBSOLETE: Get Limbo Instead

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Nightmare v2.01 for Unreal - OBSOLETE: Get Limbo Instead

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009, 04:59

[UPDATE] Nightmare was incorporated into this: http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=842

This mutator works better and is better balanced AND more flexible so there's no reason to use Nightmare anymore!

=================================

Per request, I went ahead and cleaned up this mutator a bit and am now releasing it as its own standalone thing. It doesn't require V1 Sounds, and it doesn't break Permanent Decals/Carcasses or require any other bizarro fixes. You just pop in the Nightmare mutator into your Oldskool SP Mutators menu and hit the dirt. Also, it SHOULD work under Unreal 1 and/or RTNP, but I haven't tested it anywhere except UT. Also, I plan to make an RTNP version that modifies the RTNP pawns.

For those who don't know, this is a very simple mutator designed to massively amplify the difficulty level of Unreal or any custom maps that use the default Unreal pawn set. It uses multipliers based on the difficulty level, custom-tailored to each pawn, to increase various creature stats to make them much tougher. Things from Skill to melee damage to SightRadius to GroundSpeed to, of course, Health, have all been modified, and projectiles have had their damage and speed values enhanced. The general breakdown goes like this:

Nightmare Easy = Slightly harder than standard Unreal difficulty
Nightmare Medium = Significantly more difficult
Nightmsre Hard = Holy hellfire hard
Nightmare Unreal = maybe impossible

You get the idea. It makes the game a lot more interesting for seasoned players, providing new challenges and forcing you to rely on your best tactical skills just to survive.

Download v2.01 here:
http://files.filefront.com/13384670

[Edit] v2.01: Fixed a problem where the mod may still be dependent on V1 Sounds if you have that installed. It should work fine without it now.

I also included the source code (it's just two classes, and only one of them matters) for anyone interested in seeing what I did or messing with the values themselves. All the default values are listed as comments in the code next to anything I changed.

If you run into any problems, let me know. Also, this should still work with V1 Sounds, but I'm planning to make a new standalone release of that some time soon as well with cleaned-up code and a SpawnNotify like Nightmare's instead of a CheckReplacement mutator with lots of subclasses.
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 23 Mar 2010, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009, 06:42

Wow, that was fast! I hope V1 sounds comes out just as fast. You know, there were a few (unintended?) changes with your mod that actually turned out to be good. An example is the GES Biorifle; it now fires like it should for the second mode, rather than having the turbo-fire bug by rapidly clicking the fire button. Also, the water seems to behave more normal. With default Oldskool, the camera view sometimes wouldn't appear foggy when you are underwater. I noticed your mod fixed this. At least I think it did...
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009, 15:18

The only actors I modified were projectiles and pawns, so I think you may just be noticing something else's effects / experiencing placebo / something else! That or there were bugs caused by the old version that aren't present here. I have no idea.

When I bundled Nightmare with V1 Sounds, there were some bugs that forced me to make extra mutators (like ammo meant only for Coop appearing in the game and Skaarj Troopers not using their weapons properly), so some of those mutators may have caused unintended side effects. I also had one mutator meant to disable Oldskool's global weapon rotation since it annoyed me, but that's not included here now.

I may make a standalone Oldskool Tweaks pack too that includes those mutators as well. They were pretty nice to have. I also should get rid of olpawnshadow because seriously, it doesn't really look that great and it fills the log with accessed nones. :P

Anyway, if you find any new bugs, let me know and I'll see if I can crush them quickly, though I don't think there should be any in this edition.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 01:14

I just tested this a little (finally), and noticed that the filters aren't quite working like they are supposed to. If I set the skill level to easy, there are 1/4 the amount of monsters (like it normally is on easy). If I remember correctly, you previously had it set so that easy skill level acted like bdifficulty3 = True. Right now, it is set to show bdifficulty0= True, which is not really harder than Unreal skill. :P

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 01:57

OK, I can add overrides to force all monsters to appear regardless of difficulty. However, this can break custom maps if you have two monsters directly on top of each other, like if one is a Skaarj Warrior for Easy and Medium and another is a Skaarj Lord for Hard and Unreal, it will have both appear. I'm not sure if this will cause one to telefrag the other or if any other side effects will occur, but just be aware of this.

Maybe I can figure out a way to create a mod menu and allow you to turn this on or off (and even adjust the multipliers yourself).

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 02:20

What did the last nightmare mutator do? Did it have this problem as well? Can't you just make easy difficulty use bdifficulty=3 rather than use all filters?

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 02:42

I can, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that some creatures might be duplicates of each other on different difficulty levels. I just wanted to make that note.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 02:46

Why don't you just make all filters for all difficulty levels act as bdifficulty=3? It's Unreal difficulty for all of them anyway, it's just harder. There shouldn't be any duplicate monsters if all difficulty levels use the filter of Unreal skill, right?

In other words:

easy = bdifficulty3 only
medium = bdifficulty3 only
Hard = bdifficulty3 only
Uneal = bdifficulty3 only

The differences you made in individual monster difficulty makes up for the rest anyway.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 02:52

Well, if I did that, the multipliers wouldn't work right, since I would have to enforce level.difficulty==3, and the multiplier is based on which difficulty level you have, nightmarelevel. So difficulty 2 (hard) is like, for example, creature.default.health+100+(100*nightmarelevel), and if nightmarelevel is 2, your creature's health ends up having 300 total added. If I just made it always difficulty 3, you would always have nightmarelevel==3. :/

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 02:55

Hmm, now I understand. I wonder how this could be fixed?

Edit: Maybe there is a clever way use bdifficulty3 for filters, but have the multiplier based on the selection in the oldskool difficulty section? dunno how though...

Edit #2: This is a question for UArchy, if he was still around...

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 03:08

Actually, I think maybe the fact that I disabled my OddsOfAppearing override might be part of it. If you want, you can edit this yourself easily. Open NightmareNotify.uc (UnrealTournament\Nightmare\Classes if you kept this folder; it's in the original rar if not) in a text editor and go to where you see:

// ScriptedPawn(P).OddsOfAppearing = 1.0; //On second thought, this is a really bad idea

Remove the first //, add Nightmare to your EditPackages, and then run the bat file in the parent directory. This will recompile it.

I disabled that because I thought that some mappers might have multiple overlapping pawns with different OddsOfAppearing, but then I realized that even with low odds, there is STILL a chance that overlapping pawns would appear at the same time, so any mapper who put some thought into it would realize that using OddsOfAppearing for overlapping pawns wouldn't work, but different difficulty filters would. Thus, there's not really a good reason to disable that.

Turn OddsOfAppearing=1.0 back on and see if that changes it. I don't think Unreal used that variable very much, but it was the only notable change between this version and the other version that could play into this.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 03:32

That didn't seem to fix it. It still only shows monsters with bdifficulty=0 on easy.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 03:54

OK. I'll think of something.

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2009, 04:05

I'm sure you will. :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009, 12:35

Figure anything out?

Next