Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[u1] Mission Pack Zero

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 18:38

sana wrote:Wouldn't it make sense to utilize NyLeve as well, seeing as the Vortex Rikers crashed there? :P

well if you think about that logically, it would be a dull and boring scenario.

1) Prisoner 849 has already cleared out the majority of the creatures in NyLeve.. leaving just a nice terrain and the entrance to the Dig site.

2) The setting is exactly the same, because you have woken up not very long after the escape of 849.

With these things in mind, I think it wouldn't be a memorable experience if you were to walk through this level. Like I said, we haven't even decided if you will even make it to the outside of the Vortex Rikers. If you do, it will most likely be a cutscene showing some support to come pick you up and take you off the planet.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 18:38

Waffnuffly wrote:Holy crap, I never noticed that before. Does that mean NyLeve's Falls was named after someone related or close to the Unreal designers?

Seems to be a Pancho thing. Harobed = Deborah.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 18:52

jackrabbit wrote:Like I said, we haven't even decided if you will even make it to the outside of the Vortex Rikers. If you do, it will most likely be a cutscene showing some support to come pick you up and take you off the planet.

You mean outside as in above ground outdoors, or outside as in outside the ship? You already have some screens of what looks like extensions of Dig. I mean, if you meant that the entire pack takes place inside the Vortex Rikers, well... you know that ship is already smaller on the outside in NyLeve than it is on the inside in Vortex2, right? Not much room for extras :P

Hellscrag wrote:Seems to be a Pancho thing. Harobed = Deborah.

Oh oh! TERRANIUX = XUINARRET. Damn. One of them was dating alien chicks.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 19:04

If -(Leader)-Dante (our plot lead) choses the entire mission to take place inside the Vortex Rikers.. then so be it. :lol:

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 19:06

If he does, then he is retarded :p

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 19:13

Waffnuffly wrote:If he does, then he is retarded :p

Not necessarily. A suitably sci-fi / "WTF" element would be to have some kind of spatio-temporal anomaly artificially expand the Rikers' internal dimensions to a massive degree. But I doubt, somehow, that that is the thurst of this mod's story!

Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 19:15

Hellscrag wrote:Not necessarily. A suitably sci-fi / "WTF" element would be to have some kind of spatio-temporal anomaly artificially expand the Rikers' internal dimensions to a massive degree. But I doubt, somehow, that that is the thurst of this mod's story!

Kinda like how the original Vortex Rikers manages to fit inside a glorified escape pod? :p

I always do get a kick out of how the whole first map is like twice the size of the Rikers brush used in NyLeve. Obviously done for technical reasons and limitations of the time, but still. Best to avoid cramming anything else in there!

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 20:08

Waffnuffly wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Not necessarily. A suitably sci-fi / "WTF" element would be to have some kind of spatio-temporal anomaly artificially expand the Rikers' internal dimensions to a massive degree. But I doubt, somehow, that that is the thurst of this mod's story!

Kinda like how the original Vortex Rikers manages to fit inside a glorified escape pod? :p

I always do get a kick out of how the whole first map is like twice the size of the Rikers brush used in NyLeve. Obviously done for technical reasons and limitations of the time, but still. Best to avoid cramming anything else in there!

Actaully...I checked on this. I copyed all geometry from Vortex Rikers and pasted it into Nyleve. It ALMOST fits...only 2 rooms are sticking out...but it's damn close :lol:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009, 20:20

Waffnuffly wrote:Oh oh! TERRANIUX = XUINARRET. One of them was dating alien chicks.

:lol: :tup: :tup:

Shivaxi wrote:
Waffnuffly wrote:

Actaully...I checked on this. I copyed all geometry from Vortex Rikers and pasted it into Nyleve. It ALMOST fits...only 2 rooms are sticking out...but it's damn close :lol:

Lemme guess: outhouse and broomcloset? :P
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Tal Rasha
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009, 17:48

that space distortion really bugged me, so i liked to imagine part of the ship was buried inside the terrain...

wow, these names always puzzled me but i never imagined they were just reversed loved ones(most likely) names. really interesting, i wonder how many more of these are scattered thruout unreal

lol @ alien girl

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009, 20:32

SMALL UPDATE

comments and suggestions appreciated :)

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009, 21:13

Perhaps you could try screwing around with sheets and a leaves-and-branches texture placed in treetop height to create the illusion of a thick forest? To put it bluntly, Unreal's foliage blows hard, so you have to work around it's horribleness by using custom meshes or being creative about it.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009, 21:48

good suggestion :tup:

Yeah, I like your idea of making it looking more thick (without adding more trees)... I'm going to stick with original content for this forest so maybe I will discover some workaround to give the forest that thick illusion at the top. It might be pretty hacky method in the end.. but if it looks good.. that's fine IMO. Will update you guys if I make any more progress with that method.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2009, 05:54

UPDATE #2

my second attempt at this:

keep in mind that I still will probably add more of those "custom made trees" higher up to fill the sky space .. I just need to do it carefully so that the player has enough walking/run room.

comments and suggestions appreciated :wink:

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2009, 10:46

Make sure you don't have all those tree meshes in a very wide open space where they are all on the screen at once. I can't tell by the screenshot just how large that room is, but if it's too massive with all those trees - it can cause major lag... Having them in a slightly more confined space will reduce lag tremendously. :)
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Previous Next