Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[ut] Project Xenome

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar {BL}Lavama
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 03:24

Saddly that link doesn't work for me.

Man I want to try this one out! Seems awesome!

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 03:29

Got to the mines so far. Really amazing mod so far!
At first, when you told it's 40 maps done in 3 years by just one person I was a bit worried about the level quality. But the level design and texturing is simply amazing so far! Certain lighting solutions looked fake to me, but still, visuals are stunning.
Also, the pieces of background story sound really interesting so far. The only thing I can complain about storyline is that I have no feeling of real purpose of my journey. I mean ok, I have to run, but why? Intro didn't really explained the nature of incident so far. Neither did logs.
Gameplay is... well, in certain parts it's really easy (I'm playing on Unreal), sometimes it's rather hard. What I can complain about is:
1) Amount of Pupaes. I hate those cratures!
2) Amount of ammo. I can use any weapon I want because I'm oversupplied with ammo (unlimited level 4 Dispersion Pistol FTW!)
3) Certain repeating patterns (like SkaarjLords appearing in previously visited locations).

Overally: I'm really stunned by quality of this mod, can't wait to play more!
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 04:33

Jazz, I think the link isn't working because there is an added "." at the end. Change the link to this:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/190000/197913.shtml

Worked for me, anyway...

Edit: Jazz, you included files in 'Project Xenome.umod' that are already included in 'oldskool239.umod'. This won't hurt anything, but they are duplicates nonetheless:

olweapons.u
oldskool.u
olroot.u

Also, there is absolutely no need to include "make.ini" or "sshot.bmp", because they aren't used. They are merely the source in case you ever wanted to modify PrXenome.u by using UCC.exe. The Map Pack entry that Raven and I made will work just fine with only 'PrXenome.int' and 'PrXenome.u'.

These extra files won't hurt anybody, but are just useless garbage. :)
Maybe you can delete these out of the archive next time you release a new version of the pack or something. 8)
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 11:04

Last edited by jazz on 29 Mar 2009, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 11:12

jazz wrote:Cheers LH

I just crammed everything in there to make sure i got all the files this time round (also updated original post with link).

I can understand that. Better to have more files needed than miss anything. :o

Perhaps this new uploaded version needs another News update?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 11:18

Posted news @ unreal.pl :)
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 12:20

Last edited by jazz on 29 Mar 2009, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 12:56

Perhaps you're running LH's Limbo difficulty mutator?
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Hold up!!!

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 13:16

I just finished the level 'Mine'.....

I'll preface this by saying that a lot of this map seemed like a direct replica of the Xidia mines to me when I played. Besides the fact that the whole level is more or less the exact kind of layout (with boss)...some caves looked exactly the same as ones we used in Xidia. My first clue was the gigantic jump in terrain quality that looked...awfully familiar. On a hunch I checked in Unreal Editor and compare some caves in your maps to ones used in Xidia. And then I knew I was correct.

You copied and pasted sections of the Xidia Mines to make this map!!!

Now, before I got to this level I was very open minded about your pack. Despite some Half-Life influences in the earlier map, it was clear to me (or seemed clear) that you were not ripping. You were merely imitating. Which is not the same thing. But what you have done in the 'Mine' map is ripping!

Obviously this is not okay. Using a stock map or prefab from a retail game that you paid for and using a community made map is not the same thing. You did not ask me for permission to do this, and I sincerely doubt you asked Hourences because he would absolutely have given you a flat out no. There are things you do not do. And one of them is stealing someone else's work.

I'm not going to play the rest of your pack. I would appreciate it if you took this pack off your mirrors immediately and redo the map in question...or any others you might have ripped from other community mappers, IF you have done so. The Xidia Mines level is part of a pack I made with Hourences when we were seniors in highschool, way back in 2002. This map, like the others in the pack, were some of my proudest moments in this community. And you just shat on my face. The right thing to do clear, and I suggest you do it quickly.

How disappointing :shake: :tdown:

To prove this to the rest of you...not that I need to since any of you that have played probably noticed by now, but here's two comparison shots of just one cave from both maps.

Both are the same exact brushes. Many other cave sections, architecture pieces, decorations, and pawns also are directly ported over. You all are welcome to open the maps in your own editors and see how many caves you can match up yourselves.

...Ugh!
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 29 Mar 2009, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 13:49

White Scorpion's section. Meh, this is going to be the Limbo of the Lost of Unreal SP gaming.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 13:50

I noticed some parts of that map seemed ripped, the boss fight being exactly the same was the most egregious.

Hourences
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 13:51

It indeed looks very similar. I also recongized caves from several standard UT levels, at least one from that AS level. Copying standard stuff is no problem but it does show quite a bit of copy pasting going on. You can also see the difference between the other caves and my caves as mine are quite messy since it were my first Max caves at that time. If you would have made them yourselves the quality of the caves would have been consistent.

I don't recall you asking permission for this, but then I get a lot of emails to feel free to proof me wrong. I would have never given permission to use this much of my content though.

40 Maps for one person is quite a lot though not impossible to achieve with this engine, however seeing this it makes me wonder what is going on in those 39 others really...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 13:52

I'd appreciate it if anyone spotting further copied content could note it here, so that I know whether it is appropriate for UnrealSP.Org to continue providing links to this project.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 14:14

-Can someone who knows ONP well check the map Cross Country?

-I am fairly certain some rooms from Hourie's iceskaarj map are in there. I also think the Zephon team should look over some of the ice skaarj maps.

EDIT: Upon confirmation, yes. Caves and halls from Hourie's IceSkaarj map are also used.

EDIT2: Possible terrain from Chico's ONP stuff used as well.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 29 Mar 2009, 14:41, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009, 14:33

I have to say I didn't notice the Xidia cave but then I'm not that familiar with the pack. I'm sure though a part of the cave looked very familiar to a cave in the 3rd map from ONP. I'm afraid it might yield similar results :|

I'm rather disappointed with this. It's a blemish on your mappack that seems to contain mostly original content otherwise.

Edit: As I feared... (sorry for size)

ONP:

Project Xenome:

Last edited by Frieza on 29 Mar 2009, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Previous Next