ividyon will never get this done, will he.

The Limbo Difficulty Mutator for Old Skool

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009, 20:51

Lightning Hunter wrote:Let me know how it works. The difficulty levels you can choose with this mutator are endless. I dare someone to beat Unreal with a value of "5" for all increases except maybe health (there isn't enough ammo in the game to do that much damage!).

I... a sucky Player, Shalt Accept thy Challenge.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 00:57

jackrabbit wrote:I like this limbo mutator idea :tup:

Unfortunatly, If a pack is not UT dependent I will always load it up in U1 (personal preference). I wonder if this could be easily ported to the Unreal UWindow?

I have no idea, unfortunately. I've never coded for the original Unreal. You could try putting the .u files in the Unreal system folder, then loading up the first map of a pack with the command:
mapname?mutator=limbo.limbo?difficulty=3

I'm not sure if that command works in Unreal the same as it does in UT, however... It's worth a try.

Raven wrote:You can add another download link: http://turniej.unreal.pl/pliki/mutatory/Limbo.zip :)

Thanks. The alternative link has been updated to yours. :tup:

{WINGS}Zombiehunter wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:Let me know how it works. The difficulty levels you can choose with this mutator are endless. I dare someone to beat Unreal with a value of "5" for all increases except maybe health (there isn't enough ammo in the game to do that much damage!).

I... a sucky Player, Shalt Accept thy Challenge.

Haha, good luck! Tentacles do over 30 damage per shot and take over 20 shots with the automag to kill. I have no clue how tough the monsters will be later on. :twisted:
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 00:59

yeah.. I might just try that tonight. I could also contact one of the 227 developers to get their oppinion on the matter. There might be an update soon for those interested in having this mutator implemented in the mother game :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 01:01

jackrabbit wrote:yeah.. I might just try that tonight. I could also contact one of the 227 developers to get their oppinion on the matter. There might be an update soon for those interested in having this mutator implemented in the mother game :tup:

I released it free for the public to modify, so they are more than welcome to make the mutator work in Unreal. :)

Of course, it would be nice to have my name mentioned somewhere. :o

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 03:07

Lightning Hunter wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:yeah.. I might just try that tonight. I could also contact one of the 227 developers to get their oppinion on the matter. There might be an update soon for those interested in having this mutator implemented in the mother game :tup:

I released it free for the public to modify, so they are more than welcome to make the mutator work in Unreal. :)

Of course, it would be nice to have my name mentioned somewhere. :o

oh of course! Afterall, it wouldn't really be "changed" at all. Just compatible with the mother game

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 18:21

DOUBLEPOST:

Casey from the oldunreal forums has gladly reworked this mod from the ground up (same features.. same function... different code). From what I was told, your code wasn't "wrong", but it was less efficient than it could have been. Basically what he did was ACTUALLY mutate the pawns and projectiles (and whatever else) by setting them to bGameRelevant false. He says doing class'ThisClassInThePackage' is usually a last resort and quite frankly a BS hack.

I personally.. would have done the same thing as you LH.. its the most logical and easiest way to understand.....

But trust me, Casey has been working inside and out the unreal Engine for I think over 5 years? (I may be wrong). He is one of the lead developers for the 227 patch and has single-handedly implemented the dynamic blood decals for 227 (one of the best known features)

What does this mean for the mod? Well.. I think (or at least what he is going for) is to have limbo work for all gametypes and not just oldskool (coop compatible for unreal1, singleplayer compatible for unreal1, oldschool compatible, and any other singleplayer compatiblility). This would enable the mod to work on just about everything which IMO is pretty damn flexible!!! :tup:

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 20:23

jackrabbit wrote:But trust me, Casey has been working inside and out the unreal Engine for I think over 5 years? (I may be wrong).

Over 8-9 years by now.... (Intel from a friend who knows him well) :P

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 20:54

jackrabbit wrote:DOUBLEPOST:

Casey from the oldunreal forums has gladly reworked this mod from the ground up (same features.. same function... different code). From what I was told, your code wasn't "wrong", but it was less efficient than it could have been. Basically what he did was ACTUALLY mutate the pawns and projectiles (and whatever else) by setting them to bGameRelevant false. He says doing class'ThisClassInThePackage' is usually a last resort and quite frankly a BS hack.

The only thing I had to "hack" were the projectiles. Everything else is mutated correctly. Where can I get this new code? I'll maybe copy the projectile part of it, at least.

By the way, how did he rework it from the ground up on one day? The code part I can understand, but what about all the formulas? He had to have taken those from Limbo, or else it would take more than just one day. Reworking the formulas to the match the Nightmare mutator are what took me forever to complete, not the code itself. :o

jackrabbit wrote:DOUBLEPOST:

What does this mean for the mod? Well.. I think (or at least what he is going for) is to have limbo work for all gametypes and not just oldskool (coop compatible for unreal1, singleplayer compatible for unreal1, oldschool compatible, and any other singleplayer compatiblility). This would enable the mod to work on just about everything which IMO is pretty damn flexible!!! :tup:

Well, this is really only Unreal 1 related stuff. Anyone who plays in UT will most likely use Oldskool for SP and coop, which means my mod will support both major gametypes then. :)

I would like to get into contact with Casey, if you happen to know a way. I would like Limbo to be the best mod possible, after all.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009, 21:47

he is registered here.. and he will most likely reply himself soon. I don't think he is changing any formulas at all (like I said.. functioning is the exact same) and changing the formulas would result in changing the way the mod works (that's not what he is trying to do). Basically, reworking to code for compatibility seems like his main objective.. and maybe if "NewSkool" comes out anytime for UT (fixes bad code methods by usar33) this mod will be fully compatible with that :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009, 03:34

I've fixed a minor bug that I found in the first version of Limbo and have re-uploaded the file. Scrag and Raven, would you guys be able to update the mirrors for me so I can change the original post? Thanks!

I realized that if you set the damagescale value below 1.0, some projectiles would do less damage than they would in Unreal skill. This was not intended, as anything above a value of '0' should make the game harder, not easier. Now if the value is below 1.0, some of the projectiles will do the default damage, but never less.

Download Version 1.1 here for now:
http://filebeam.com/cecdb9cef1a81e6da568991b59c98eef

Oh, and Jackrabbit - I did chat with Casey for a while online. It seems that he only made the mod more compatible with Unreal 1 so far. He didn't rework it "from the ground up", at least not yet. The formulas and all the work I did remain, except for a quick hack he added in that changes the projectiles differently. When he releases his version, I will update the projectile code in mine, unless he makes his version universally compatible with Unreal and UT. As far as I can tell, my projectile code does not break user-made map compatibility any more than OldSkool already does (old skool already replaces the projectiles the way I did). All I did was subclass the oldskool projectiles, so there should be no issues at all. Any customized projectiles in custom maps will work just like they are supposed to. I've already confirmed this by playing Attacked! 8)

In other words, nobody has to worry about anything being "different" in user maps. Everything WILL work like it is supposed to.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009, 06:44

whenever i see this thread i think of that "limbo of the lost" scandal :lol:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009, 23:17