Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[ut] [RELEASED] The Man from A.H.R.G.

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

If name != nice,

DARTS Society
38%
Deviant Society
15%
DTARDS Society
23%
Keep DevianTARDS!
23%

Total votes: 26

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] [RELEASED] The Man from A.H.R.G.

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011, 18:32

Yesterday I had a look into the Upcoming Map Section and thought, that this will never see the light of the day. And now I was amezed seeing it finished. Intersting use of textures. Interesting layout - espescially the corridor, which you could enter from above and bottom (with the looked room at the end). I also liked the lobby room.

I have always thought, that the ONP team mates code would be a mighty tool. But you didn't really need them in ONP. They were more helpful in Project Xenome and absolutely necessary at the beginning of your map. But honestly I didn't use them after some point. They always crossed my line of fire. And your text sounded to me, as I would lose, when one them has died.

But one thing: [spoiler]The end was a little weak. The spawned enemies don't attack you automatically, when you head back (which would happen, when you touch creature factories instead of triggering them). So I could shoot them with the sniper rifle one after the other.[/spoiler]

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011, 21:40

Is this supposed to be played with the ONP gametype?
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011, 22:16

UBerserker wrote:Is this supposed to be played with the ONP gametype?

Must be. I tried it earlier but many things didn't work properly like the soldiers or the code panels.
StalwartUK

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011, 22:57

integration wrote:I have always thought, that the ONP team mates code would be a mighty tool. But you didn't really need them in ONP. They were more helpful in Project Xenome and absolutely necessary at the beginning of your map. But honestly I didn't use them after some point. They always crossed my line of fire. And your text sounded to me, as I would lose, when one them has died.

You speak with too many commas :P

Still need to play this
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011, 23:58

Bug: The enemy carcasses disappear even though I have permanent carcasses and decals enabled.
Just tested, and this doesn't happen in other packs.

Enjoying the gameplay so far though :tup:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 00:02

Carcasses disappear because they are not scripted to lie on ground forever, unlike Oldskool's special carcasses for monsters that are scripted to do otherwise depending on your settings.
ImageImage

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 00:59

grr. Oh well, just finished it. It was awesome. Too short though! :P I should have played it on unreal difficulty, hard was easy

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 10:56

Jet v4.3.5 wrote:shooting the next dark-clad group of soldiers

Since this was a map that takes place in the modern world, I had very little options in presenting and diversifying enemy types. To be honest, I would choose any possible alternative from using ONP bots if such choices existed. :P Replacing them with Skaarj is a choice, but it'll break the consistency since I actually did have the option of, one way or the other, giving them some sort of introduction in the second map just to fix this issue - but then there's thematic consistency problem again. :P

integration wrote:Interesting layout - espescially the corridor, which you could enter from above and bottom (with the looked room at the end). I also liked the lobby room.

I actually loved that room a whole lot more than some of the grander ones and I put it forth as a good starting set piece for how my area layouts would look like. :P

integration wrote:I have always thought, that the ONP team mates code would be a mighty tool.

I purposely timed and checked the amount of damage they can take from different play sessions to gauge just the 'right' amount of health they should have to last the entire level. (They would have completely healed for the next map but I also had the option of removing them completely since they were a nuisance as much as they helped redirect fire from the player.)

integration wrote:-spoiler-

I'll be honest with the fact that the end area was supposed to only be the 3/4th of the level. Build times were getting ridiculous, so that point in should have actually been, indeed, a continuation to a second map. Other than that, I did try extending the sight range for enemies that spawn there. (and sniping out their buddies should aggravate them to attack forward)

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Enjoying the gameplay so far though

I was actually concerned people would be associating the map with the ever controversial Tygra's Unreality Episode One for the use of ONP bots. :P For one, I intentionally did reduce the amount of ambushing, leveraged the amount of hitscan damage from exposure to enemies by introducing allies, and that there was always enough health to bring you back from near-death. (Part of the thrill of survival!)

---

Lastly, yes, this does need the ONP gametype - it is set to work as the default gametype by default but Oldskool may occasionally override it with the basic SinglePlayer2 gametype. Running the map via console is a fine choice. :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 12:29

I think you should rename the Mapfile to "ONP-AHRG" so the ONP Oldskool entry reads it as a custom map which uses the ONP gametype.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 12:47

Played. It was fun, Unreal can do 'real' pretty well. The concept was certainly different. The sniper segment was carried out nicely, the character knew when I was finished! :o Magic abilities?
Even if you don't want to make a part 2 of this, I would like to see more with a similar theme. :tup:
Love that skybox! :D

Score:
6/10

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 15:11

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I'll be honest with the fact that the end area was supposed to only be the 3/4th of the level. Build times were getting ridiculous, so that point in should have actually been, indeed, a continuation to a second map. Other than that, I did try extending the sight range for enemies that spawn there. (and sniping out their buddies should aggravate them to attack forward)

[spoiler]With weak ending I meant the gameplay at the end. IMHO not the best enemy placement for such a huge architectural effort (the cafeteria). You can easily run to the next level or head back and snipe out the enemies. In medium difficulty you can kill the enemies with one headshot. The rest won't get alarmed - as long as you are far enough away, so that they don't hear you. Nali Chronicles suffered from the same problem. (Though in hard or unreal difficulty you need 2 shots, so all of them will start attacking you)[/spoiler]

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 23:11

I don't remember saying that... :p

And how could I forget that skybox?! It is epic. It gives me the urge to plagiarise and wack it in a dm map.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011, 23:55

I'm getting a Mirror's Edge vibe from that skybox, to be honest.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011, 00:04

Wow, I completely missed the release post, I thought people were talking about a beta test or something; time to check it out.
Formerly Mman

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011, 00:28

Why has there been no news post? :P

Previous Next