Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[ut] Custom Map Review: "Ruins" by Geno.Cide

Newer articles published by UnrealSP.org staff can be found here until the main site's renewal comes to fruition.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: [ut] Custom Map Review: "Ruins" by Geno.Cide

Post Posted: 22 May 2013, 00:03

I get that feeling too. Like, the latest UB review is a bit extreme. I haven't played the maps myself but the shots presented reveal some basic complexity. 0% is far too low, even taking into account the plagiarisms (Perhaps a "Score withheld" would be appropriate for cases of plagiarism that also have some minimal merit)

Also, with reviews of bad things... maybe i'm just getting older, but I remember when I first read Mr Prophets review of Cat bombz, Hellscrags review of the tragedy and MMans review of Unreality I was laughing so hard I was in tears. Even now I still chuckle. Those guys know how to bag out a map pack inoffensively and humorously (aside: cat bombz isn't actually that bad). It also actually made me want to play the map packs just to see for myself what a joke they were and on the whole improved the experience because it felt like I was being let in on a joke. I played those shitty packs with a smile on my face.

Later low scoring map packs never really got the same response from me as the reviews seemed a bit more towards the scathing end of the scale. And this carried through to my playthroughs. I'm not saying that Dela and UB should pack up and go home though. I'm very happy to see the contributions being made :)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 22 May 2013, 17:07

Waffnuffly wrote:
Mister_Prophet wrote:(1 to 10 should be sufficient, otherwise the reviewer could be accused of making an example of someone's map. That's not a practice we ought to promote)

This is my main concern. Just dogpiling on an obvious Babby's First Unreal Map sort of thing just seems tacky to me if the author wasn't specifically looking for critical feedback.

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Also, with reviews of bad things... maybe i'm just getting older, but I remember when I first read Mr Prophets review of Cat bombz, Hellscrags review of the tragedy and MMans review of Unreality I was laughing so hard I was in tears. Even now I still chuckle. Those guys know how to bag out a map pack inoffensively and humorously (aside: cat bombz isn't actually that bad). It also actually made me want to play the map packs just to see for myself what a joke they were and on the whole improved the experience because it felt like I was being let in on a joke. I played those shitty packs with a smile on my face.

Later low scoring map packs never really got the same response from me as the reviews seemed a bit more towards the scathing end of the scale.

These are sentiments I fully agree with and I hope that will be considered in the future. :) There isn't any particular fun or value in reading such empty bashing, to be honest...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013, 05:58

It's not as bad as that, you ought to see those MH maps that just won't die.This is a 10 compared to what I deem as bad.
I think reviews of poor maps are just as valid as the best map known to mankind, but shouldn't be dumped on if it is obviously a first map.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013, 21:35

Having played this map I thought I'd give a shot at reviewing it myself, it's nothing noteworthy but I don't think it's *that* bad that it's unworthy of review.

Map Title: Ruins
Map Author: Geno.Cide
Reviewer: Mman
Review Score: 12%
Tagline: Not especially worth playing

According to the readme this map was created to show off the "singleplayer4UT" mod. Of course, Oldskool has rendered that mod pointless at this point and this map runs fine with it, so how does it hold up as a map in it's own right?

The story is very basic but it's at least integrated into the map; you have to go into some ruins and kill fifteen Skaarj Troopers then return to your ship. Those Troopers aren't quite the only threat though and exploration reveals some Devilfish in the moat around the ruin as well.

Looking over the ruins

The design is extremely basic but a closer look reveals at least a small attempt making the place look like a collapsing ruin, and your ship is actually pretty decently structured. The canyon area it takes place in has very basic design though. There's also very little lighting, but there is at least some vague definition to it and it's not just zonelit. The big thing that drags it down to hideous levels is the colossal stretched terrain textures; that's unfortunate, as the ruins and ship have some competent, if simple, texturing. There's pretty much no sounds in the level, however, there's a voice sample at the start and after you kill the Skaarj (although it's hard to tell what it's saying), and while the fast-paced Unreal Tournament track used doesn't lend the ruins any majesty it does fit the action theme of the map.

Unfortunately there's nothing special about the main fight, and the arena design pretty much just means you get dog-piled by the Skaarj horde and try to take them out at a choke point. The Skaarj have reduced health but there's a degree of challenge due to them using a variety of weapons and the relatively low amount of ammo you start with, which promotes some degree of scavenging. Outside of the fight exploration does at least grant a few rewards, and looking around before heading across to the arena will help give you an edge when things kick off.

Your ship

Technically I had no problems; such a basic map shouldn't have any, but considering I've played simpler maps with worse issues it's at least worthy of a little credit there.

Summary:

Not especially worth playing as there are probably better maps out there for a quick blast, but it does accomplish what it sets out to do, even if that goal is pretty modest.

BUILD (50%)
Architecture 2
Texturing 1
Lighting 1
Sound 1
Technical Execution 2

CAST (50%)
Conceptual Grandness 1
Story Construction 1
Story Implementation 1
Gameplay Awe 1
Gameplay Balance 1

Total Score: 12%

Download Links:

SP-RuinesEN.zip - 570 kb - KlanKAOS
SP-RuinesEN.zip - 570 kb - Dropbox
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013, 21:52

Neat; this review is palatable regarding both descriptions and scores, it feels fair to the creator while warning readers this isn't state-of-the-art 7B-level material. I'd likely put this on the main site. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

ImageImage

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016, 20:32

Delacroix wrote:Uh, to warn people?
Yes. I am a case in point. Am currently acquiring all the maps I missed when I stopped playing Unreal ca. 2006. I had never seen this one back in the day, and now--thx to Delacroix--I probably never will. Like most folks, I don't have infinite oodles of time to waste; the time I waste needs to be a little bit more carefully chosen than that.

So thx, D.

Previous