Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Grave of the Machine

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Grave of the Machine

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010, 20:49

(Figured I'd release this here, despite how I know you all just love MH :P)

This Liandri Facility has fallen to ruin over the decades. But now Liandri have decided that they want to start using it again. The majority of the creatures hat have infested it should be easy to clear with a LNF-12 Nuclear Flare, however, two massive biosigns are present. Eliminate these 2 creatures and then proceed to the Evac Teleporter to await further instruction.

Build Time: Roughly 2 weeks, Including Beta Testing and final bug fixing
Much thanks to Nelsona for testing this on her server and putting up with each time I "Bug Fixed" adding/replacing an entire section of the map :P

<=DOWNLOAD=>
Missing RichRig2.utx

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by zacman on 13 Dec 2010, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Delacroix

Subject: Re: Grave of the Machine

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010, 20:55

Looks pretty awesome by the screens.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010, 21:34

Looks spammy and professional. I love spammy and professional :D Will give it a go for sure :tup:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010, 21:47

Seems to be missing a package richrig2.
I tried copying richrig to richrig2 but that didn't work so I guess you forgot to include some custom content.

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010, 07:25

Ah, my bad >< Forgot I used the 2nd Richrig package. (Woulda thought most people would have it anyway owo)

First post updated.

@TheIronKnuckle: Had to make it spammy, since most servers nowadays play with mutators that give you like a gazillion health and infinite ammo XD

@SalsaSkaarj: Richrig2 isn't Richrig XD It's a package with a couple of crate textures (2nd last pic) And some air vent textures.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010, 10:51

zacman wrote:Ah, my bad >< Forgot I used the 2nd Richrig package. (Woulda thought most people would have it anyway owo)

Thanks.
Next problem - it a Monsterhunt file (ok, the MH starting the name of the map was a strong hint but the readme doesn't mention Monsterhunt).
Anyway, I found monsterhunt and installed it and started playing (on Easy since the readme specifically mentioned that a single player would get slaughtered).

[spoiler]The pupae - bah, passed those with my eyes closed, the Skaarj, blew my nose 3 times and gone they were. Then ... bloody flies and arrghh, mantas - but no problem they have to pass through that passage to get to me. So I shot, and shot, .. and shot, went out, more of those flying things, retreated, shot, and shot, and shot some more ... until I couldn't see through that passage anymore.
So, thinking the way is clear I advanced, figuring out were to jump ... I make good progress, and suddenly more flies and damn more mantas, so I have to move fast .. euh WTF snipers also? hehe I see one falling ... killed 5 or 6 flies and 2 mantas but no room to get out of sight of those snipers. aha got one, and another one fell . AARGHH I'm shot, down to 21 health - back to the room before the passage - there's still some health there. And at that moment, a sniper (I think) finished me off..[/spoiler]

I won't be critical of the gameplay, it is after all a monsterhunt (not exactly my favorite) and it was meant for co-op.
And I have no reason to be critical of the environment - it's gloomy, nice structures, dark, but plenty of searchlight provided (at least up to the point I got to) and nicely constructed progress path. :tup: .

I'll play this again (not immediately), probably with an summond shield and an extra weapon to even the odds a bit.

PS: In the readme you should mention that it's a map for the Monsterhunt mod. It's only because of some previous map (Antalius?) which was discussed on Unrealsp.org that I immediately knew what to look for

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010, 12:36

They weren't snipers, SkaarjTroopers with miniguns. After that area with the shaft and the towers, theres a pile of shields and health. The Skaarj in the shaft area are random (Roaming Orders) so sometimes one or 2 appear, sometimes all of em can end up there :P once you're through that first area, it gets easier-ish. I recommend playing with a health mutator, I should have mentioned in the readme that Nelsona's server where it was tested, like nearly all MH servers, runs a mutator that regens health up to 500. If you get the chance, play it on Nelsona's server (Her Mapvote hosts it) it's a lot easier with other players :P and the Mantas are so deadly because I used distanceviewtriggers XD They're only in that area and only react in that area, so if you can, try sprint thru.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 14:13

OK, I got past that section without losing too much health. It turns out that the mantas are less of a problem than the flies (it's clear when all the mantas are finished off but those flies stay in the distance and suddenly appear when you get too near. The Skaarj with miniguns are much of a problem, although I was happy to find ammo and health along the way.
Next up: tons of Krall, then some Skaarjtroopers I think, then Skaarjwarriors?, and pupae along the way also (I might have gotten the order wrong). Also a truckload of Slith. Once I had no option but to run through and managed to get Krall, Skaarj and Slith near each other, but to my surprise they never start to fight each other. (I did this section again in Godmode and effectively - they don't attack each other, not even after receiving some collateral damage. Perhaps it should be considered friendly fire in this case).

I really had to save (very, very) often because I had to spare my heavier ammo for dangerous situations and use the DP from a distance (permanently loaded DP would have been fairer).
Eventually, after countless saves, dito kills and more than 3 hours of accumulated playtime, I reach a Titan's lair, flanked by Krall and Slith who unfortunately are not on my side.
I don't know what's supposed to happen here - Titan seem to be indestructible and the Krall and Slith spawn endlessly. After a couple of tries (I'm getting good at maneuvering the Titan to throw boulders into the spawing pipe) I found a way out, apparently being teleported to a higher level where a redeemer awaits. Unfortunately the redeemer isn't sufficient to kill the Titan (and anyway, the Krall and Slith respawn again and again, continuously, endlessly, without interruption, steadily, unceasingly, repeatedly, relentlessly and apparently it seems to be unstoppable (lack of inspiration to continue this but you get my point). Anyway, now I'm stuck there, I can't even get back into the Titan pit.

Help me!!! (it's this even finishable as a single player?)

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 15:01

It's designed for MH (Where players get random Amps and Redeemers) so the titan has like 150k health :P also, in MH you respawn... The SP comment in the manual is a joke :P Im amazed you got that far... I put it in Multiplayer Matters because it *is* an MP map, and I released it here since MH players just go "zomg that titan makes stuff move this map pwns" rather than the SP community critique, which is a higher standard :P. To get back to Titan pit, there are Jump Boots to jump over the railing. Also, faster you kill the titan, less sliths and kralls, since it's stomps make them spawn. If you're playing SP, use allammo on the upper platform, and bounce razors down to the Titan. Save the Deemer, for an SP game you'll need it for the bridges :P

<<EDIT>>
also, I used Gopostals NOFF monsters (No Friendly Fire) They are INCAPABLE of infighting, and by completely removing Scriptedpawns from the checks, the AI Gets cleared up so they're more agressive too :P
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010, 21:45

zacman wrote:The SP comment in the manual is a joke :P Im amazed you got that far...

Oh well, after playing through Xenome 3 times, I know what patience is. And the enemies here die a lot faster than those encountered in Xenome. Still I wouldn't recommend it for a novice.

[spoiler]The most difficult part up to now was the first square room (the upper level around the Titan pit) because it's so difficult to retreat. But it's possible to lure out 2, 3 or 4 troopers at a time and waste them from the room where the mantas and flies were (which is why it is imperative that that area is cleared clean).

From that level (after the troopers have been eliminated it is then possible to shoot through the railing at the lower level (Skaarj Warriors I think). I you play it right they won't all come for you immediately and you'll be able to kill some before the horde finds its way to the higher level (there will be a left behind trooper, or one which was on a lower level. When they all start coming, it's tricky. I use the DP as long as possible while running backwards around the square avoiding their fire and keeping about 1/2 distance (of the square side) between me and the horde. I can usually run round twice before 1 or 2 Warriors stay behind or new Warriors come from below, preventing careless runnig backwards. That a good time to switch to the pulse gun which can hold them back easier and more importantly kill the occasional Skaarj blocking your way. A lot depends on whether it is still possible to run around that square room or not (depending how well the Skaarj follow you around the square. If yes, then it's relatively easy, if not you'll have to retreat to the manta/fly room and then you've got a problem if the Skaarj follow you, because they don't follow all the way up (where you could make use of the first narrow passage). If they don't follow you up then it's possible to kill them with the enforcer or with DP (splash damage). Whichever way, the whole process will take long.

The same system can be repeated on the lower levels except that you can't run round any more. But luckily this time you have an upper level which has been cleaned and to which you can retreat easily.

It's going to take very long and there are few moments which allow rest and recuperation (between levels there's time). Also make sure you save regularly 'cause the opposition is so numerous and accidents are bound to happen.

Once you reach the fly-spawning room, go back and go fill up on health ammo, shield. Forget about killing the flies (spawning just continues endlessly, etc...) - get the super-health (I'm not really sure whetehr there is one in that room now) and pass that teleporter to meet the Titan.

Here speed and luck are important. I still haven't figured out what triggers the opening of the hole in the ground, but it's possible to last a long time thanks to the health you have and the health vials available. Get in the hole when it opens and get the redeemer. Safe at last.[/spoiler]

OK, here I used allammo and started blasting razors at the Titan until they were all used up, allammo again and a next set of razors, eventually gave up and strated using the redeemer. All went well for 4 or 5 times, but the next time my guided redeemer projectile hit the railing and ended my quest :cry:

Enough for today, too much blood on my hands.

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010, 04:31

Well... Titan has 150k health. ANd the opening of the hole, the Krall/Slith spawning and the defence toggling is controlled by the Titan stomping
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010, 20:48

zacman wrote:Well... Titan has 150k health. ANd the opening of the hole, the Krall/Slith spawning and the defence toggling is controlled by the Titan stomping

Damn bugged savefiles :x . The last working savefile I have is just after cleaning out the upper level. I'm not in the mood now to work my way down again (that would take something like 2 hours :( ) so this will have to wait till next week

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 04:06

Im surprised you're persisting at all :P The map was designed for Respawning Inventory and tested with between 2 and 3 (one particularly good) players who could also respawn and had 500+ healh each and an Ammo Regeneration Mutato :P Even then it took us 2 hrs to finish the map (Respawning health=In theory infinite health, same w. Ammo, etc.) Oh, The bottom blue thingie in the Queen Area is the end, FYI, it's a MH end trigger so in SP won't do anything. If you reach that, you win :B
<<EDIT>>
Also, the One Person @ a time trap won't activate for you, all that inventory is free for your taking, it only goes off with 2 players in the room (And SP!=2 so ur all good)
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 09:30

zacman wrote:Im surprised you're persisting at all :P

When I first tried this, I thought: never ever will I see the end of this. But I kinda like the challenge. It's never going to be my favourite game type (too much stress and almost every mistake is fatal) but at least this does give the single player half of a chance (contrary to Unreality where I am just bait).
Anyway, without some summoning it would take a day to kill that Titan. I think next time I'll just god through to that section, get the redeemer and see what next you have in store for us.

For those who would also like to try this as an SP - take your time, rushing forward will get you frustrated (and killed). You don't even have to be a very good player to get far, but you do have to know how to retreat and have a lot of patience with the DP. It's certainly worth the try (on Easy).

User avatar zacman

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 10:19

salsaSkaarj wrote:For those who would also like to try this as an SP - take your time, rushing forward will get you frustrated (and killed). You don't even have to be a very good player to get far, but you do have to know how to retreat and have a lot of patience with the DP. It's certainly worth the try (on Easy).

I might actually try it as an SP... As I said, what was in the manual was a joke, it was never tested for SP :lol: Also, if you're at the titan, you're halfway through the madness :shock: I would never have expected SP to make it past the Mantas :P Also, there are no infinite spawners (In regards to your last post) each creaturefactory Maxes 500, after tips from Nelsona (Turns out, if you actually reach a high enough amount of kills, the Server can CRASH, because Nelsona is the only person in the world who would refuse to end until Monster Count is absolute Zero, inc. thingfactories :lol: and has crashed her server before with a frag count of over 300000 in one map)
ImageImage

Next