This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

MH-DarkWhite

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: MH-DarkWhite

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011, 00:40

================================
M H - D A R K W H I T E

Version 0.73
Last update 27/03/11

Filename: MH-DarkWhite
Author: DeathoX 8 (a.k.a. XYZ 8000)

Description

I had this map sitting almost finished on my hard disk for quite some time (I think I started it in 2008...), I finally decided to finish it for good. In the last couple of days I've given it the finishing touches and I fixed the bot pathing, and here is the finished product.

This is a rather unorthodox Monster Hunt map taking place in a greyscaled world.
As you will notice playing the map, this level is more of an arcade gameplay-based map rather than a moody, atmospheric adventure. I chose the monotonous grey theme to allow for large quantities of monsters without impacting too much the performance, due to the absence of lighting (the whole level is zonelighted).

I balanced the level so that there would be very few dead spots, the whole map is action packed and you will keep shooting for most of the time. Monsters, weapons and ammo are plentiful, and if you die you will be able to get right back into the action thanks to the many respawn points and teleporters.

Make sure to play with quite some players (or bots) since the map is pretty hard (but definitely doable, even in classic MH).
You will have to keep moving to avoid the bunch of projectiles flying around, camping will not get you very far. Depending on your play style some sections might be a little harder than others, try to not limit yourself to only your favourite weapon since each situation requires a different approach.

Bots will play the map rather well (considering MH Bot support is pretty broken), but they will not be able to complete the map unassisted. I spent a lot of time trying to fix them but due to the large scale of the level there are some places where they get stuck for no apparent reason.
I recommend to order them to follow you, that way they will work correctly through the whole map. If you see them getting stuck and not following you (like in the room right after the Titan fight) just go ahead alone and they will catch up using teleporters.

ScreenShots

Download

www.DeathoX8.com/Maps/MH-DarkWhite.html#Download

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: MH-DarkWhite

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011, 02:05

That's awesome! I don't see why greyscale has to stop you from adding sexy lighting though. Have you played Hollow moon? Greyscale UT2004 mod designed to be like an old movie, so no sound effects and a spooky piano track as BGM. It had some pretty good lighting. Although it was Horror genre.

either way, downloading :D
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

XYZ8000

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011, 13:29

TheIronKnuckle wrote:That's awesome! I don't see why greyscale has to stop you from adding sexy lighting though. Have you played Hollow moon? Greyscale UT2004 mod designed to be like an old movie, so no sound effects and a spooky piano track as BGM. It had some pretty good lighting. Although it was Horror genre.

I never played that mod but I just googled it and it looks interesting, you keep making me discover new awesome UT stuff :P
I chose to not add lighting to allow for larger quantities of monsters at once, there are parts of the map where you will have more than a hundred monsters in view and having complex lighting would have worsened the performance really badly with all those meshes. Since when I started building it the goal of this map was to create a rather large level with serious amounts of carnage, so I went for zonelighted rooms since the performance is fine even with such gruesome amounts of monsters.

replay88
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011, 09:00

A MH map with botpaths ? !!! how could you.

XYZ8000

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011, 21:45

replay88 wrote:A MH map with botpaths ? !!! how could you.

Yeah shameful I know, I'm a monster :P
Bots cannot end the map unassisted though, they will get stuck if you order them to Attack... bot pathing in MH maps is a major PITA, the only map that I created where bots could end the map unassisted was MH-Templar which was basically a long corridor structure-wise...

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011, 09:49

XYZ8000 wrote:
replay88 wrote:A MH map with botpaths ? !!! how could you.

Bots cannot end the map unassisted though, they will get stuck if you order them to Attack... bot pathing in MH maps is a major PITA

I noticed ... one gets stuck in one of the ammo rooms (with teleporter arrival point).

First I played on MH and got clobbered while trying to clear out the "tower" levels. Since my allies all got stuck or died very quicky I decided to play this as a SP.
Then I thought of a way to limit damage while the enemies hurt each other : Get all the shield power you can get, prepare the biowaste gun and jump down on each of the "tower" levels without bothering to fight, making sure you end up very near the teleporter so you can teleport to safety and new health. While jumping down, throw as much biowaste as you can, it upsets the enemy :lol: After a couple of tries it becomes feasible to try and clear out each level.
I managed to reach the Titan pit but that was the end of my story so far. IIRC there's a time limit, not sure whether it also applies in SP but if so then it's a pain. I'll play this again (as SP) to check on the time limit and whether ammo and health respawns (which is really necessary).

XYZ8000

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 01:02

salsaSkaarj wrote:I noticed ... one gets stuck in one of the ammo rooms (with teleporter arrival point).

First I played on MH and got clobbered while trying to clear out the "tower" levels. Since my allies all got stuck or died very quicky I decided to play this as a SP.
Then I thought of a way to limit damage while the enemies hurt each other : Get all the shield power you can get, prepare the biowaste gun and jump down on each of the "tower" levels without bothering to fight, making sure you end up very near the teleporter so you can teleport to safety and new health. While jumping down, throw as much biowaste as you can, it upsets the enemy :lol: After a couple of tries it becomes feasible to try and clear out each level.
I managed to reach the Titan pit but that was the end of my story so far. IIRC there's a time limit, not sure whether it also applies in SP but if so then it's a pain. I'll play this again (as SP) to check on the time limit and whether ammo and health respawns (which is really necessary).

Thank you for playing the map :)
That "tower" part is not the hardest place of the map, but it's pretty hard to not die even once if you are unassisted when facing the Behemoths. I would recommend to order to all your bots to Cover You through the whole map, but try to order them to Attack in that "tower" part and they should be more willing to go down although they will not clear completely the floors. Generally if you see them stuck or unwilling to follow order them to Cover You, and if that doesn't fix it (which will happen in the room right next to the Titan fight) just go ahead alone and they will catch up later.

I'd recommend to disable the time limit in the game settings (like you would do for a DeathMatch map) since the map is pretty long.
Playing the map in SP is pretty much impossible without cheating (aside from allammo), it will be VERY hard to not die once through the whole map.
The final boss fight will be especially taxing (if not impossible), since I planned it out to encourage players to split through the room so when playing in SP you will find yourself surrounded by a couple of nice monsters (you will see for yourself when you'll get there ;)). Plus the classic Unreal movement is pretty slow, it will increase exponentially the chance of being hit by projectiles.