ividyon will never get this done, will he.

UT3 MUGSHOTZ!

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: UT3 MUGSHOTZ!

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 15:45

Well, I wasn't really bored this time. I basically wanted to see some hot bot action in VCTF-Suspense with 32 godlike bots and Super Berserk mut on. After I got tired of playersonlying bots every now and then, I suddenly stumbled upon a few strange things:

Shot 1:
Noobishly placed static mesh that has an invisible surface. Notice the pipes just stop right there too.

Shot 2:
BIG BLACK BOX!

Shot 3:
Overriding mesh! Notice the "overdrawing" effect.

Shot 4:
Extremely obvious invisible mesh surface! :o

Shot 5:
Well, I can't quite explain this one. :P The roads above have dividers in the "island" that seperates the two twin-lanes. Apparently, those dividers reach up to the bottom as well.

Shot 6:
Another noobishly placed static mesh with invisible surface!

Shot 7:
Well, this is supposed to be a relatively petty shot but the error here is obvious. Players won't really look here this close of course.

Shot 8:
Leviathan's right rear turret spawns huge black fucker sheets! Yes, yes, I know. :P There are supposedly no Leviathans in Suspense.

Do you guys have any mugshotz to share as well? :lol: I'm not saying of course that UT3 suffers from poor design standards. It's unlikely for casual players to notice these details anyway. There are other flaws I found but they were too petty to screenshot and post here. :P

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 15:54

If you're searching out any single visual bug that UT3 has, it'll take years to list them all. I'm not speaking of massive ones, but in any map there're always some little graphic glitches. With the level of detail that next-gen games have reached you can't stay on a single map for months fine-tuning every single surface of the map, you have to aim to an overall great look rather than every single surface great looking. On this side Epic designers did a great job, there are obvious errors in map making but you will never notice them in-game if you aren't specifically looking for errors.

One of the glitches that I saw used more was curved trims with square BSP under them surfacing and creating little holes, but as I said they're impossible to notice while hunting down some bots :)

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 15:56

I can forgive every single error there in VCTF-Suspense but that Leviathan black sheet is definitely something different. :P And the strange black box in shot 2. That's the strangest whatever I've found in Suspense.

[Edit]
I bet you're that other hidden guy, X8. ;)
Last edited by GTD-Carthage on 18 Jan 2008, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 15:57

GTD-Carthage wrote:I can forgive every single error there in VCTF-Suspense but that Leviathan black sheet is definitely something different. :P And the strange black box in shot 2. That's the strangest whatever I've found in Suspense.

Not designer's fault if players cheats :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 16:19

Those errors are so damn ignorable yet funny. There are other bugs too.

Of course, a summoned Paladin's shield is more cooler than a Leviathan in Suspense, or any map which doesn't have that vehicle. Pie Bee shield.
ImageImage

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 17:44

XYZ8000 wrote:If you're searching out any single visual bug that UT3 has, it'll take years to list them all. I'm not speaking of massive ones, but in any map there're always some little graphic glitches. With the level of detail that next-gen games have reached you can't stay on a single map for months fine-tuning every single surface of the map, you have to aim to an overall great look rather than every single surface great looking. On this side Epic designers did a great job, there are obvious errors in map making but you will never notice them in-game if you aren't specifically looking for errors.

I have to disagree, in ut3, from what I've seen the LDs have substituted good architecture with obnoxious amounts of detail, I've looked at a lot of screenshots and was able to play a few map the only map i can think of and remember what it looked like is dm-sanctuary the others have shitty architecture that was poorly covered up by too much detail.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 20:30

There are millions of those. Just take a look at all the maps with the necris tentacles and laugh at the stupidity of their placement. Either they go directly through walls, don't align, have the textures moving in the wrong directions etc. etc. There's some really sloppy meshwork in UT3

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 20:36

Although I fully disagree about UT3 looking not eff awesome (nope, it looks too good, too great to distract you. At least it impressed me unlike UT2k4), go and take a journey in Necropolis's skybox.

Surely a great surprise and unforgettable experience lays there. Oh well, the game is all about its laggy gameplay... (epicfixplz).
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008, 02:15

Well - I guess it's like a microcosm or something. These flaws in detail are small enough to not notice and, in the end, create a much larger and prettyful image but they can become obvious if you look at the right places. :D From a non-commercial mapper's standard however, I personally can't think of how Epic could have overlooked this when us non-professionals can't miss it. You can't really blame a short development cycle because the designer forgot about looking around for a second to see if his or her static meshes are placed properly.

Once again, last night, I was noobcrapped by some guy who won some Warfare in Torlan. Luckily, I use a different name when I go to places without someone I know around. :P Is it me or are UT3 players a little more immature than UT99 players? (UT99 players, being mostly veterans of the FPS genre)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008, 13:06

UT3 is composed by the intelligent guys of UT1, the morons of UT1, some new intelligent guys and some new morons (part of them coming from UT2k4).

Nowadays the Unreal community is just like this: 30% of respectable people and the remaining 70% of nubs.
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008, 02:54

IGOTMOARUT3MUGSHOTSZ!!!

This time, from WAR-Sinkhole. I admire the fact that the caves look so natural there but if you look through the static meshes, you'll notice lots of cubical BSP.

Shot 1:
Float-out-of-nowhere wires. :o At least rotate them to make 'em look like they were sticking out of the girders and stuff.

Shot 2:
Magical floating pieces of wood. :D

Shot 3:
And just moments later, the magical wood introduced me to his friend, the magical floating building! :P I would have forgiven if the building was placed slightly lower so the floating bottom wouldn't be visible but the problem is that this CAN be seen from accessible parts on the map without spec mode on.

Shot 4:
This ladder is suffering from default texture-osis. :P

Shot 5:
The holes in the cielings of either main base reveal a basic cube BSP structure. A few more meshes to hide the unnaturally straight edges would have been a little better or a differen choice of tex to make a better excuse on why it's cuby.

Shot 6:
Floating pickup bases. :o

Some of these errors are barely noticeable and not really a problem but I did find them upon close observation. :P

Wail
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008, 18:11

Re: #6 Sinkhole

This is no doubt caused by the feature of using the END key to drop a pickup factory down to the floor. Trouble is, it seems like the pickup factory will stop if even the slightest corner touches any part of the ground. I did some editing with this one to turn it into a CTF map and found myself having to adjust any pickups I placed manually because of how unintelligently the END key feature functions.
Marathon: Resurrection project @ http://resurrection.bungie.org/

Az
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008, 03:01

Those are side effects of going pc, mac, linux, xbox360 and ps3 all in one :rolleyes:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008, 13:39

Az wrote:Those are side effects of going pc, mac, linux, xbox360 and ps3 all in one :rolleyes:

Or simply generic errors that anyone can make.
ImageImage