Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Seven Bullets coop issues

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar rork
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Seven Bullets coop issues

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013, 14:58

I had a major issue in Jones-06-Vandora: the translator message with the first access code didn't show. It turned out the shortening (hm, maybe just editing) the message in UnrealEd fixed the problem. There were several other messages that didn't show however these don't block game progress.

Did anyone else experience this problem, know some details and are there other options of fixing it besides editing the map (e.g. a small mutator that overwrites the translator message?).
Admin of the dU Coop server: 85.14.203.180:5555 forum

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Seven Bullets coop issues

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013, 08:13

Seven Bullets can be switchy in COOP play but as far as I know the code consoles should all work. In your game how big is the translator window?

User avatar rork

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013, 10:01

I play on a 1280x1024 resolution which fits most messages easily: see screenshot

The message shown is 475 characters long, the message with the code that doesn't show is 538 characters long.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013, 13:32

When you say the messages don't show, do you mean that the translator doesn't detect the messages? If you do, this problem happens to me as well. It seems to be worse for clients than it is for the host.

User avatar rork

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013, 13:38

Yes, the book is there but no message sound or message in the translator. It happens more often and possibly in other maps also but it doesn't break the map outside from this situation.

I found two more issues to investigate (haven't checked offline):
In Jones-08-Pirate2 the access codes also don't show:
- the one behind the lasers seems to be too high, you can see it when you jump
- the one in the ventilation shafts seems to be placed oddly in mid air and unreachable

In Jones-09-End the boss fight doesn't seem to be triggered.

Otherwise environment, fights, looks, story etc. are awesome (or fights at least a bit hard), I hope these bugs can be solved without editing the whole campaign.

User avatar rork

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 10:52

In Jones-05-TemplePart3 everything past the fallen gods is also not available, yet can be bypassed because the closed door to the staircase is passable.

After striking the seals the bars move out of the way but the door can't be opened. You'll miss some puzzles and the confrontation with Haute.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 14:39

A lot of that stuff is set to bSinglePlayer only or something like that, even though most of the triggers and events (like the titan fight) work perfectly online after they're enabled for multiplayer. The one thing I remember not working well is the part with Haute. Only one person teleports after the titan fight and can see what Haute says. Since the only thing that would need to be changed for most of the events is a setting in the default properties, I think a mutator would work.

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013, 03:46

The sequence was Haute didn't work so well in COOP testing at the time of beta, so we put a bypass in for the area. Makes the level less interesting in coop, but at the time I couldn't get a work around to do the job for the post boss fight.

User avatar rork

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013, 11:24

I expected so for the sequence with Haute, just wanted to post here for the sake of completeness.

3 sent me a mutator that provides a workaround for the access code. So still glitchy the campaign is now playable except for the end fight. I will have to fly there and shoot The Scarred One to activate it.

If somebody wants to make a Coop update (renaming to JonesC* to prevent version mismatches) to fix these and some other minor bugs (messages not showing, some doors that are broken), is that ok with you?

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013, 14:41

Yeah I made the thing in 2005 so if you want to design a mutator to make COOP work better than go ahead. I don't think COOP is particularly fun in 7B so I don't imagine that there's too many people who want to play it, but if they do they at least can have some issues taken care. I almost feel as if we should have disabled it from the get go and put more attention into the DM mutator we included as compensation.

User avatar rork

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013, 21:25

rork wrote:I had a major issue in Jones-06-Vandora: the translator message with the first access code didn't show. It turned out the shortening (hm, maybe just editing) the message in UnrealEd fixed the problem. There were several other messages that didn't show however these don't block game progress.

I have the same problem now with Project Xenome, I never noticed it on ONP and Project Zephon though. Maybe it's an UT or OldSkool problem.