A random sentence for a random mind.

Mister_Prophet releases DM for beta testing

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: Mister_Prophet releases DM for beta testing

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 01:47

I prefer no adds at all, like a directory hard drive view, and no download mangers and no toolbars, but thats just me.
Just ban everyone

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 01:49

First off, nice name. Are you a fan of Homer? Good thing you didn't go with Achilles; he's a real cry-baby.

On the map itself: I actually really liked the dilapidated industrial setting because you treat it so well: the ventilation crawlspaces, the holes in the wall and floor with exposed beams, and the frame of a former wall with chunks of brick still surviving. It's that attention to detail that gives me a sense of place. I also always welcome any/all snow-themed maps. All in all, awesome looking map. :tup:

The lighting in general is excellent but there's this one exposed light bulb, on a ramp I think, and the light beneath it is a bit more than I'd expect for a bulb that size. It's a super-bright spot and seems out of place. S'all I could notice for now that's bad.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 02:46

Nice really nice.
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 02:48

jaypeezy wrote:First off, nice name. Are you a fan of Homer? Good thing you didn't go with Achilles; he's a real cry-baby.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=555
2. General Conduct

Users are requested to have regard to the following rules when participating in general discussion.

2.1. The UnrealSP.Org forums are a "mature" forum community for a "mature" game. Users of all ages and backgrounds are welcome, but all users must be prepared to be civil and respect others' opinions. Flame wars, abusive language, name-calling and smear campaigns against members of other forum or gaming communities will not be tolerated; failure to respect these requirements could result in a ban. Users are also requested to express themselves without falling back on profanity to make a point.
Just ban everyone

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 03:01

redeye wrote:
jaypeezy wrote:First off, nice name. Are you a fan of Homer? Good thing you didn't go with Achilles; he's a real cry-baby.

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=555
2. General Conduct

Users are requested to have regard to the following rules when participating in general discussion.

2.1. The UnrealSP.Org forums are a "mature" forum community for a "mature" game. Users of all ages and backgrounds are welcome, but all users must be prepared to be civil and respect others' opinions. Flame wars, abusive language, name-calling and smear campaigns against members of other forum or gaming communities will not be tolerated; failure to respect these requirements could result in a ban. Users are also requested to express themselves without falling back on profanity to make a point.

I'm not sure if you're trolling...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 03:04

Hope you aint talking to me, I am not the one breaking the rules.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 03:15

RedEye

Why don't you take a goddamn chill pill. Jaypeezy broke no rule by referring to the level's filename in his post there. And you're neither an admin, nor a moderator, nor a staff member so your right to say who's breaking the rules or not is NONE. Period.

Everyone else:

DM-BetaLevelThing.zip (Dropbox Mirror) by myself.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 03:21

The name of the map is DM-Agamemnon. Agamemnon, in Ancient Greek lore, is a famous character in one of Homer's epics, "The Iliad." In this story, a young soldier, Achilles, has an argument with Agamemnon and decides he will run away and not fight his war - hence, his being a "cry-baby." It was a joke, nothing more. I like the name and the map. :)

It was a bit of a Classics joke, and it appears not everyone got it. In the future, I'll try and keep learned humor out of any conversations for fear of offending anyone. I apologize to anyone I might have upset.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 03:29

redeye wrote:Hope you aint talking to me, I am not the one breaking the rules.

redeye, if you believe that it is 'rule breaking' to call a Greek mythical figure a cry-baby, you are in for a serious surprise.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 05:14

I was thinking he was reffering to "redeye" :oops:

No apology necessary. :|

Double-post (condensed by ividyon):
Well I am out of here.

ividyon: A self-fulfilling prophecy. 14-day ban for three accumulated warnings. Now, back on topic, please!
Just ban everyone

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 23:04

Not sure what all the fuss is about, but anyway...

Love it of course, only noticed a couple of things - the light jaypeezy referred to is definitely a bit much, mainly on the floor. I'm not a fan of the window texture but probably just a personal preference there. Some of them look like they have a (oh lord) big black hotdog in the middle. Although I like the music, for some reason I think hyperbore.umx by Akuma would sound better - again just personal preference. On the name of the map, it actually didn't make much sense to me since I've read the Iliad (and seen Troy way too many times). Doesn't seem to fit an industrial setting, but I don't think it's a big deal and who really cares what a map's name is anyway?

Oh yeah, the skybox "mountains" seem really heavily pixelated - more so than usual and especially when contrasted against high-res textures.

Everything else seems spot on. Lighting is great, texturing is great (aside from the windows imo), architecture is believable, good z-axis, etc. I did notice once or twice that I was able to camp a playstart and kill the same bot 4 times in a row without moving - not sure if you can really fix that or not or if it's a bug.

Great work as usual.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 23:17

@Jaypeezy and DD;
Which lightbulb precisely? I have a few ramp sequences going on in here. Would you guys specify by weapon location and I'll take a look at it.

Doublez-Down wrote:

Oh yeah, the skybox "mountains" seem really heavily pixelated - more so than usual and especially when contrasted against high-res textures.

Everything else seems spot on. Lighting is great, texturing is great (aside from the windows imo), architecture is believable, good z-axis, etc. I did notice once or twice that I was able to camp a playstart and kill the same bot 4 times in a row without moving - not sure if you can really fix that or not or if it's a bug.

Great work as usual.

I originally had a foggy skybox but I did not want to stick a player with a level with no decals. Not really sure what I could do beyond picking different skybox textures or making a new skybox completely. I am not opposed to doing the latter, the box was subtracted and textured from resources I scrounged up in 2007...so I guess I could think of something better there. Do other people feel this way?

Which playerstart did you camp and what difficulty? I've noticed in large maps with open rooms easier bots perform really stupidly and do a lot of dumb AI things. But it could also be a pathing thing, maybe something I can fix.

EDIT: Thanks to Del for the additional mirror, seek first post for options if you're too hipster to use mediafire ;)

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 03:42

Here's the light I was referring to. It just seems too bright on the floor imo and tends to looked washed out. Plus it seems odd that it would be that bright on the floor but not anywhere else. I mean it's a bulb and shouldn't be that directed. Obviously this is just a small detail. Regarding the playstart, I couldn't get it to repeat, so it was likely just a fluke.

I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 04:36

Ohhh that! Yeah, if you notice there are decals below certain light fixtures. Modulations for the light glare. What's weird is that that pic doesn't show the light corona on the bulb and I clearly have them added. Do you have coronas enabled?

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 05:21

I was going to draw all over an edshot but I don't have Photoshop installed on this machine, and GIMP is well, gimped.

A) Visually inconsistent architectural style without clear sense of purpose. Probably fine for DM though. Here we have crumbly grey bricks with wood paneling, some uncrumbled grey bricks with angled supports (lower passage), large grey blocks, rusty floors, and and smooth clean looking walls.

B) I've never been a fan of having the redeemer be in DM maps, and I've also never been a fan of walls that eat flak shots just to open up and reveal a weapon not well suited for tight spaces. Also that red room is really, really ugly.

C) The wall trim here just sort of ends abruptly. Also that brown base texture looks super flat compared to everything else which looks really grainy. Maybe it has to do with the lighting.

D) In the match I played I had wondered where the bots were getting the flak from. I'm not sure what to say here other than the bottom area don't feel as connected to the other areas, like it was just tacked on.

Overall a good map. Layout seemed pretty good. Pathing seemed decent. Flow was for the most part OK. The fine details are great. Lighting is well done. As others mentioned, I feel the architecture is believable, just not consistent. It didn't seem to be defying gravity.

Previous Next