Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Mister_Prophet releases DM for beta testing

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Mister_Prophet releases DM for beta testing

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 05:56

I've talked to a few people about the flak being particularly harder to find than the other weapons but I think that this has a lot to do with 1) players being more hesitant to go down when a path leading straight or up is presented and 2) the nearest spawnpoint is close to the redeemer door, which presents the player with a few path options whereas other spawnpoints are more directly within line of sight of other guns. Bots tend to find it easy since they often are lured down there to grab the super keg...and in one of the better bot displays of AI in the level...they almost always go for the window jump to nab the flak.

I suppose I could place a spawnpoint inside the flak room...but I think given the placement of the keg it would be giving spawning players too much of an advantage. A super health AND a flak cannon? It's a tough call. I'm of the mind that it needs to stay this way but I am open to suggestions. The best solution would be to swap the flak with another weapon, effectively moving their locations...but my issue with this is...move what? I tried to set the weapon locations in such a way that they were in close proximity to the guns I felt offered the best counter in regards to the layout. So I'd probably have to move two sets of guns, meaning four weapon locations. Bio/flak with...?

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 15:10

I personally wouldn't mess with any of that and thought it was fine. I'll check if I have coronas on - not sure why I would have turned them off.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013, 01:17

*still hasn't played level*

@TheFlak: It sounds like something well balanced/well thought out that you wouldn't expect to find on your first playthrough. Does anyone who now knows where the flak cannon is still want to move it? It took me a couple of years to find the sniper rifle on coret but I wouldn't want to move that :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013, 07:46

I've noticed the corona issue is actually a result of the bulb flare not being visible when at the bottom of the ramp as opposed to the top. It's on my to do list.

other things getting dealt with:

-Lift triggers will be reexamined to make lift jumps quicker on re-attempts
-Lift triggers for bots will be reexamined
-Various Geometry overhauls, including size reduction on certain things
-Changes to layout size will be done in extensions, not reductions
-Player Load suggestion will be made for higher bot/player counts
-Possible playerstart changes/additions

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013, 23:56

redeye wrote:Yes but google drive requires the app they have first before you can use it.

Uh...no it doesn't. You can share anything in your google drive publically and it provides a public direct download link...example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5ypl6tsh1iii ... ing%29.ogg

No apps required:

Also, that Mediafire link is fine. It gives me a direct download to Proph's map. Nobody else has your problem...and hell...i dont even see anything on that mediafire page that refers to some "setup.exe" or anything. So the problem is on your end.

(more) on topic, this is a nice map. Not much to say...it's good and I like it =P Course I played it in 227 but I don't think it matters, everything works. I love the attention to detail and the nice high res shadowing / lighting. The only thing I could say is about the skybox...it looks a little out of place cause it's so low res and pixely compared to the rest of the map xD. though I ghosted and flew around in the actual skybox...its a damn nice skybox. but there's only once place I think with a big window looking out? and it's facing the closest wall it seems, so you're closer up to the texture and its more pixelated. the wall opposite of it is a really nice shot of the mountains. maybe rotate the skybox 180 and move the skyzone back a bit? i dunno, just a suggestion. great work though anyway, thanks for releasing this.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013, 07:48

I really should have just released (or beta'd) this one sooner. Was hoping to do it earlier this year as a contribution to a mappack I was invited to take part in at UT99 but that fell through. Honestly, I've had some good suggestions from people and I'll try to get a second version out soon. I'll mess with the skybox a bit and perhaps add an extension to the shieldbelt area to make that power-up grab more interesting. Beyond that...dunno, can't think of any critical things to add/change so I might make this official pending a 2nd beta release just to iron out any more kinks.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013, 12:38

It's pretty damn solid right now I gotta say. Better than most stock UT maps that's for sure, and a lot better than the custom content you usually see. This one's a keeper ;)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 03:09

Just an update. Working on a finalized version with many fixes, a new room for the shieldbelt, and some other stuff.

Will be out soon. I may fire up another private round of beta-testing but I'm more or less done with the map. I must say I had a good lot of feedback from users here, be it from stuff posted in the thread and through other channels. Really, thanks guys! I did not get much attention from other places I hoped would be more interested in UT levels so it's good to know I can count on USP for just about anything Unreal related :o

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 17:43

This isn't, by any chance, the revisited Outpost Pheonix map from RD, is it? Parts look very similar to the screenshots of the map in question on the RD site...

SZ

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 17:50

When I started making the level in...I wanna say 2007...it was built to be both a DM and SP level, though the SP version of this is much larger and is very old. The DM was made more generic, uses different textures, and has a layout adjusted for multiplayer. Depending on the nature of RD's episodic intentions I'm still undecided if I will include the SP version.

Previous