Scout-kun is a lie... right?

New Unreal Tournament game in the works!

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: New Unreal Tournament game in the works!

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 20:23

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-future-of-unreal-tournament-begins-today wrote:We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.
That is a very interesting way to monetize a "free" game. I like it better than say, paying $8 USD to use the flak cannon (or paying $1 USD every time you want to play on CTF-Face).

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 20:25

I missed some of it, are they going through with the $20 a month thing for modding or whatever it was? Also, did Flak say that Lord_Porksword (who was working on an Unreal remake) would be on the project, or did I mishear her?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 21:02

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... Tournament!

What you need to know in short words. Amazing.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 21:18

It actually sounds like it could work out really well. For now the kind of artstyle will determine my optimism for it though, because if they go for some sort of overly realistic/detailed one that requires tons of unique objects and textures and thousands of polygons (or more) for even basic objects then I think they'll basically kill the (casual) mapping community before it even starts (which basically already happened with UT3, despite some great custom maps). Hopefully they realise that and will go for something more stylised and/or minimalistic.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 21:41

Sounds good to me. Time to get my mapper ass back into arena shooter level design.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 23:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waruQ94Sw4U

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-f ... gins-today

holy f**king shit YEESSS!! \o/ \o/ \o/

-Free...not free to play...just free!
-True to roots competitive FPS
-Development focused soley on Windows, Mac, and Linux

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesssss

The ONLY thing I have a problem with is this:

"We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game."

I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I mean, mods are just addons which essentially can be uploaded by anyone who buys it once and then leaked for free to everyone. I'm not exactly sure what they plan to do here. Also, mods and addons we gotta pay for? UT has never been like that...so that seems kinda...well, lame lol =P I mean unless it's some big mods that's like a total conversion game or something like we've seen some previous projects, then that'd be ok I s'pose. But little mods would suck having to pay for them.

EDIT:

I want RocketBlood as a mutator in this new Unreal Tournament XD
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 23:54

No, the users charge for their mods and they're not forced to do so.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 00:21

On a forum thread about the artstyle Chris Perna from Epic posted this:

We hear you guys. From an artistic standpoint we've discussed this and agree that crisp and clean is the way to go. We have an amazing toolset with UE4 and should be able to create incredible looking visuals without overdoing the clutter. We've discussed this and agree this is the direction we will start to experiment with. We will most likely start by creating shells for levels and then applying shaders, lighting and detail in simple layers until we hit a sweet spot.

Since that was my main worry I'm guess I'm fully on the hype train now.
Formerly Mman

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 02:49

I Knew they'd learned UT3's mistake

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 02:54

Wonder if UT mods will be even remotely portable to this. Probably not, but it's still a really cool thing they're doing.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 03:13

Bug Horse wrote:Wonder if UT mods will be even remotely portable to this. Probably not, but it's still a really cool thing they're doing.
Although I've not personally tried UE4 yet, it has been stated that UnrealScript is completely gone in favor of C++ and their new Blueprints system.

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 03:30

It's rather stereotypical of me but... I WANT TO PLAY WITH THE REAL-TIME G.I. THINGAMAJIG.

As for the more full-blown announcement shown in the UEngine wiki, I have no idea how I feel yet about the whole authors-make-money-out-of-mods thing. Mostly, I can't really imagine what are the consequences just yet be it positive or negative. Now there's also the whole fan-oriented development scenario in general.

A colleague at work gave me a friendly warning about a similar program Capcom had made (about Megaman I think?) that suddenly got the axe right in front of everyone's faces.

I doubt it could happen for Epic since they're wealthier than Capcom and have a far smaller history of teasing-followed-up-by-cancellations to compare against.

I'd rather watch from afar how this will work out though - not in the "LOL I'M TOO BITTER ABOUT UNREAL AND EPIC, SIGNED VETERAN PC PLAYER" fashion, but in the "Okay, I'll see what you guys come up with - I just have no ideas right now on my own either. I'll ride along when there's something to work from."

And, to be honest, being a nobody (lots of us here, no?), I'm just too lazy to push ideas against a river stream composed of the rest of the crowd.
Last edited by GTD-Carthage on 09 May 2014, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 03:43

Somebody here might know more from looking at this, but here's the roadmap for Unreal Engine 4 looking forward:

UE4 Development Roadmap

If you scroll over to the Animation section, you'll see a wishlist entry called "Vertex Animation" with the description
Support import/compression/playback of vertex animation (not using bones, direct mesh information)

That's not something I would expect to see but there it is. As far as Waff's suggestion, if they do end up implementing this then getting UT's models into UE4/UT4 would likely be very possible.

Other information in the roadmap will assuredly be interesting as well, such as the ability to place skeletal meshes into the world that can then be posed and/or animated live in the editor, among other things. I haven't had a lot of time to digest this information myself but it's incredible news all the same.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 03:54

I have my doubts.

Don't get me wrong, I would love more than anything for something close to the original game I love, to this day, to become more relevant to more and more gamers.

On the other hand, I keep reading left and right the cornerstone of this new UT4 project will be appealing to the community that made U1/UT99 so great through the custom content they contributed. This is an awesome idea but I just wonder how successful that, as a premise, would be. I don't get the sense that there are as many dedicated coders, at least the ones from some years ago, around on the scene anymore. (But just imagine if some, like Usaar33, came back on the scene like a boxer out of retirement or something?!)

That being said, that's where the strength of the new UnrealScript/UnrealEd IDE's might come in. Later versions of the language have more going on in the way of documentation, whereas I'm just now trying to get into UT coding as a hobby and rely mostly on source code from the game/other people's work. Plenty of people code, just not for Unreal; a more modern version of the language can bridge that gap.

I guess like some others have already stated, my reaction at the moment is mainly to watch from the sidelines.

EDIT: Derp, so if they're leaving UnrealScript for C++ I guess that renders some of what I said a non-issue.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 May 2014, 05:25

Going on about UE4, Enzyme has UE4 and has been playing around with it, and in 2 days he managed to make a completely working playable alpha of U-Racer. I got to play it and was blown away at how much Enzyme had accomplished in just 2 fricken days with unreal engine 4. He says it's like nothing he's ever used, and coding now for it is surprisingly simple and straight forward and easy for the most part. He posted a video of the 2 day alpha he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQiRU8-R90

I mean look at this...he got the track, meshes, ship models, physics, AI and everything...in 2 fricken days are u kidding? holycrap, I'm tempted to spend the money myself to play around with UE4. Also on a side note, Enzyme could potentially contribute forth to the new Unreal Tournament, having UE4 and being an awesome coder and programmer.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Previous Next