Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

UT1 Maps

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: UT1 Maps

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 04:51

Other than a broken NaliCity and a mostly inactive UT1 section in UnrealPlayground, is there no place anymore for downloading multiplayer maps for the old game? :(

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 14:00

First of all.. the content of nalicity isnt gone really. "Only" the news and the download links and so are partly away. But all the stuff from beyondunreal/nalicity is hosted on several sites like filefront.com.
So.. just check this site...
http://browse.files.filefront.com/Unrea ... files.html

An other good site is utzone.de
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

--------------------------------------------------
>:E

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 14:08

Well, NC3 still does have its archive intact but I prefer new maps but there you go. :B

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 15:30

NaliCity et al still have previous maps available in their archives but yes I think this is more of a reflection of the decreasing interest in the game. Most people have moved on by now and events like BU's great crash some time back tend to force the invetiable. Why maintain a site that isn't going to get much new stuff?

Sites like FileFront tend to work best. Few hassles and quick, speedy downloads. My best advice for those still creating maps for the old engine should be to use this forum to post about it while giving a d/l link to somewhere like FileFront. In fact I think that's what I'll once my own level is ready for release.

I personally think that the failure called UT3 took a lot of interest out of the Unreal series as a whole. It's sad that it caused a ton of people to quit making stuff for ANY Unreal game whatsoever. Hopefully once the mourning is over people will get back to making stuff for U/UT/UT2004.
StalwartUK

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 16:20

StalwartUK wrote:NaliCity et al still have previous maps available in their archives but yes I think this is more of a reflection of the decreasing interest in the game. Most people have moved on by now and events like BU's great crash some time back tend to force the invetiable. Why maintain a site that isn't going to get much new stuff?

Sites like FileFront tend to work best. Few hassles and quick, speedy downloads. My best advice for those still creating maps for the old engine should be to use this forum to post about it while giving a d/l link to somewhere like FileFront. In fact I think that's what I'll once my own level is ready for release.

I personally think that the failure called UT3 took a lot of interest out of the Unreal series as a whole. It's sad that it caused a ton of people to quit making stuff for ANY Unreal game whatsoever. Hopefully once the mourning is over people will get back to making stuff for U/UT/UT2004.

I have to disagree here, but not because I'm a NC reviewer. If you're interested in just doing some random downloads then yes a file hosting site might be enough (still, surfing through all the stuff posted on those sites is sluggish), but what to do when your forum posts where you linked your maps inevitably disappears from the front pages? What if you want to search specific maps (such as a CTF for 8 - 12 players with a good rating)? What if you want to read some comments (or a review, which is basically a detailed and trustworthy comment) before wasting bandwidth on every file you get your hands on? File hosting sites can't provide these services, neither do forums with connected links (it has been tried, but they just collect a huge amount of spam and junk and the ratings are never trustworthy) and that's why map database sites like NaliCity, UnrealPlayGround, MapRaider will never disappear.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 16:59

StalwartUK wrote: Hopefully once the mourning is over people will get back to making stuff for U/UT/UT2004.

Wouldn't count on that. There's no reason ( sense ) for making stuff for 2k4, and U1/Ut engine is like... 11 years old now. The big mods which are in production are probably the last you'll see for UE 1.

User avatar StalwartUK

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 17:40

I guess we've had different experiences. I'll admit that I've tried my fair share of file submission sites over the years and many of them (like NaliCity) always seem to make you jump through hoops to add a file. For instance once I tried to add some levels to NC and yes I followed the proper protocols and guess what... they never got added. Other places expect you to wait for weeks at a time. Personally I don't have all the time in the world to go around and upload a map to every obscure site (some of which demand registration to download stuff) that most people either don't know about or are not too concerned with. I've found a system that works for me.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: New trend today: "UT3 SUCKS".

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 19:29

StalwartUK wrote:I personally think that the failure called UT3 took a lot of interest out of the Unreal series as a whole. It's sad that it caused a ton of people to quit making stuff for ANY Unreal game whatsoever.

There isn't any real proof on your statement since there are a lot of good games coming out lately, stealing people's interests.

GTDCarthage@: Did you make this thread after the news on BU about DM-Maris? :P
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 20:52

UBerserker wrote:There isn't any real proof on your statement since there are a lot of good games coming out lately, stealing people's interests.

GTDCarthage@: Did you make this thread after the news on BU about DM-Maris? :P

There's probably some truth in this as I'm not exactly up-to-speed with what's going on with other games but from a prurely Unreal prespective the decrease is undeniable. Modding of any sort isn't as big as it was in the UT2004 days.

If people want to rip my UT3 quote out of context then fine but I thought it would add something to the topic. I know that "UT3" treated like some dirty word in these parts and that people would like to move on. Can we get back to the topic please?
StalwartUK