UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

zeta map for a testing & opinions

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: zeta map for a testing & opinions

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016, 04:32

Most people release a map for testing they call it a beta, which is the B from the Greek alphabet. Since this is a map edit from someone else's existing work, I'm going with Z from the same alphabet.

This is an edit, all permissions gotten from THUNDERBOLT & Hitman, that had assisted editing from others.

Initial submission thread on Hermskii's · http://tinyurl.com/z9sgo68
Secondary thread from this forum here · http://tinyurl.com/gmameqv

Summary: I made the first edit, Nelsona & Red_Fist made edits of my edit, and I took those and have been tinkering with them ever since.

What I'm wanting folks to test is from Nels' first edit:
I wasn't too fond of this at first.... but it grew on me quick. Nels made every monster on the map attack at once, with MonsterPathing. It was a little overwelming but I've been tinkering... too many monsters, but given I like maps where you have direct warfare it kinda works. The problem though is I added a hidden monster to a hard to reach area of the map (for those that like to hunt down every last beastie) and with this pathing it wasn't hiding anymore.

It's a GrimReaper... for those that know how scary powerful that is.

I changed the projectiles of several of the monsters on the map, I re-skinned some others, and I did my best to correct the typos from the original map in those instructional messages that happen as players get along the way...
...and, of course, this map has some unusual weapons.

You start in a cabin on one side, in front of which there is a path. Normally you travel the path (not quite a yellow brick road but the analogy holds) and kill monsters along the way. You reach a cabin on the other side, flip a switch, hop a couple teleports, and then you get to the exit you're told about in the intro messages. Of course to get to the exit you need to grab jumpboots at ground level first, among other little challenges.

In this edit, tentatively entitled "STAMPEDE" all monsters are attacking the moment the game starts... but theyre not entirely after only just you, what players are with you, and any bots you've got in tow:
This map has 1 TeamMonster on it, set for Red: listed as a Red Team Thug. It won't help you but it won't attack you, it's only interested in fighting the other monsters... and as it happens, a lot of their attention will be on this Thug.

Out of curiosity, I edited another version with no Thug... and there was no stampede. Apparently a TeamMonster is such a threat that the normal monsters want it dead as fast as possible.

So, I'm submitting 2 maps for your perusal: STAMPEDE & Thug Free. The second should be closer to fairly normal play, as the Thug isn't around to stir up the neighbors.

Weapons:
M-16 Silver: Standard assault rifle with a grenade launcher.
Blue Baller: It's an energetic uzi with a sniper scope.
Greenie Gun: Sort of a cartoon weapon but fairly tough.
Pulse Rifle: TeamMonster drops them around periodically.
Redeemer: Directly behind the cabin you start in.
Instagib: Fairly close to the end of the map.
Transloc: Due to the hard to get hidden spot the Grim Reaper starts... you'd need that plus jumpboots to even get there.

Play both maps, give them a thorough going over, and let me know what you think: suggestions, criticisms, etc.

Usual Suspects:
.u /system
.umx /music
.unr /maps
.png - pwetty
.txt - this message will self-destruct

Given time, I may do this again. After all, Nels did another edit and so did Red_Fist.

Enjoy · http://www.mediafire.com/download/ffn60 ... ORESTz.zip

Doom/Quake variant · http://www.mediafire.com/download/pu9k7 ... _HELLz.zip
Screenshots · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/108484.html
Last edited by evilgrins on 08 Apr 2016, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar evilgrins

Subject: Re: zeta map for a testing & opinions

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016, 05:24

Just about done with this other one...

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016, 10:49

evilgrins wrote:Just about done with this other one...

Is that robot convincing in-game? First time I see it... I guess it's a bot (no pun intended!), yes?
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016, 04:46

Sat42 wrote:Is that robot convincing in-game? First time I see it... I guess it's a bot (no pun intended!), yes?

Bot? Yes. Convincing? Moreso!

It's 1 of 4 mechs I "use" in games, assigned to bots. Team Orbit made an impressive mod over a decade ago, incorporating mechs that had their own weapons built into them.
They're very fun!

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 00:57

Nice, thanks for the info!
I will have to get the mod and check out these mechs - who knows, they could have potential for an SP project! :)
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 20:09

TO released 2 versions of the mod. The 2nd is much more impressive but it paired the mechs down so they weren't so impossible to beat.

I use the mechs from the 1st install... which this might be:
http://www.fileplanet.com/110804/110000 ... us-Mappack
Sat42 wrote:I will have to get the mod and check out these mechs - who knows, they could have potential for an SP project! :)

The 2nd, if that isn't it I linked above, has the usual UT gametypes in it, along with TO-weapons which are something to see (used to love the bolo-gun) but is kinda SP based, if I recall correctly.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016, 21:21

evilgrins wrote:TO released 2 versions of the mod. The 2nd is much more impressive but it paired the mechs down so they weren't so impossible to beat.

I use the mechs from the 1st install... which this might be:
http://www.fileplanet.com/110804/110000 ... us-Mappack
Sat42 wrote:I will have to get the mod and check out these mechs - who knows, they could have potential for an SP project! :)

The 2nd, if that isn't it I linked above, has the usual UT gametypes in it, along with TO-weapons which are something to see (used to love the bolo-gun) but is kinda SP based, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the info and link, evilgrins!

I'll probably be more interested in the 2nd version of the mod, but I'll check this out in due time - will download the file later as I first need to get my gaming PC over to my new place before delving into this (that's going to happen in May, for now I am only very occasionally able to play Unreal/UT, like last week-end)

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016, 21:00

Okay, the Doom/Quake variant isn't completely finished... but it's done enough for players to give it a go.

Didn't have enough Quake & Doom monsters, so I chose some retro versions of known beasties and other things similarily themed.

I've attached it to the bottom of the 1st post in this thread, so let me know what you think.