A random sentence for a random mind.

[UT] Turmoil Saga - Coop Night | Return To Na Pali: Ultimate Edition v1.1

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [UT] Turmoil Saga - OldSkool Coop Night (Week2)

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016, 18:32

I've updated first post lead-in, event info for the current weekend. Changes are
* Friday is now 6pm EST
* Saturday is now 3pm EST
* New mutator that spawns start area weapons and creates checkpoint teleporters.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 04:24

Small update. If you joined today before this post you'll need to delete coopsuitebeta from your cache. I found 1 bug, fixed, and rebuilt it. I know I could have renamed it but it was just 1 bug. Let me have it.

In case you didn't join today, keep an eye out for these things:
Checkpoints (green X's) are only at choke points you have to go through so you can't miss them. They explode (harmlessly) when you get to one and create a teleporter (bottom pic) back at the player spawn that you can use (if you die) to get back to that point.

Spawn point weapons are also enabled so you wont need an admin to get stocked up on weapons from the previous maps.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 10:01

Think I might be able to go in today now!
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 21:27

Disregard deleting cache. It wouldn't hurt but isn't necessary to join. Ive started optimizing CoopSuite and a newer version under a newer name is running. Didn't get everything done I wanted in time but it's currently 20% smaller than before. Next update will be even smaller and hopefully extensible so more maps can be added without rebuilding the core.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016, 22:13

I'm coming.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016, 01:18

Wooo that was great! I hope next time we have some Jones mappack for start.
Was me, zyn, scrag (came a bit later) and Loathsome (came much later). We went full yolo throughout DV2, I was accidentally surviving in the dumbest ways possible with like 33hp and got stuck myself two times lol. I stopped at Map 15, was too tired and was dying too much.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016, 20:16

I keep missing these. :( I should put down a calendar entry for the next one...

Respect to zyn for reviving coop and even implementing all these fancy little actors and systems to make it more comfortable. Really brings me back to the old days!

@UB @Scrag How was the latency? From what I remember, Unreal/UT netcode is complete trash, and playing with US players/on US servers is insufferable. How did it work out?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016, 21:06

I had like 175 ping (Scrag had 130 or something) and I could still survive against Skaarj squads at low HP without issue. Playable honestly.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject: Re: [UT] Turmoil Saga - Coop Night (Week3) Jones Saga

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016, 22:29

Updated first post for Jones Saga.
New stuff in yellow.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016, 00:41

Ping not bad overall, but periods of higher lag / packet loss. Didn't ruin the game.

I'm afraid I'll probably give the Jones sessions a miss. I have had too many late nights recently, and am more comfortable in the familiar surroundings of Na Pali anyway!
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016, 04:35

After today's testing I've decided for this week to run only 7 Bullets. Xidia took a good deal of effort to get working and there are still problems. Nothing game-breaking but weird replication issues occurring in one map but not the next and bizarre respawn rules for placed weapons that randomly seem to override the respawn rate mutator. Skytown has a lot of playability issues that could be game breaking related to events not getting triggered properly. For the moment I'd rather settle on something I know works and actually having tested 7B for coop in dev I can attest that it does. Next week I'll run all three since by then I should be finished plotting checkpoints and have another mod that links them all together.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016, 12:33

I'll be tonight kicking 7B's ass
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016, 00:49

Yeah lol 7B just isn't really good for Coop. Lots of crashes and the bots kill all the fun. Probably it's better stick to classic Unreal mappacks.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016, 02:44

Yeah, my memory of it betrayed me. Client crashes from buggy weapons. Server crashes from bugged pawns. Incomplete coop weapon spawns. Graduated player spawns or teleporters on only a couple large maps. Net filtered doors as a crutch to skip stuff in coop. TranslatorEvents with codes set to bTriggerOnceOnly=True. Actually switching to the ending cutscene map in coop. Knowing what I know now, if it was 10 years ago this could all be fixed. Some of it I might be able to fix with a mutator. Tbh, Xidia works great in comparison. We'll see what I can come up with by next week. If the problems with 7b can't be fixed I may just run the original Unreal maps or something else that hasn't been on yet (rtnp, onp).

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016, 18:18

The final week's campaign is a toss up between Xidia (which worked well enough in Fridays test) and the original Unreal campaign. As much as I'd like to run a triathlon on the Jones saga, the mut I'm making for this is already 14mb. Even if I were to swap the 1024 Tex for 256, it still wouldn't bring it down to a comfortable size for something you only see once per campaign. Xidia has already been plotted out for checkpoints so that's ready to go right now. Unreal still needs to be plotted out and if this is run then I'll take that as an opportunity to try out the new graduated playerstart system in CS6.

Previous Next