Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[UT] Turmoil Saga - Coop Night | Return To Na Pali: Ultimate Edition v1.1

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [UT] Turmoil Saga - Coop Night | The Fifth Vortex

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016, 22:53

RTNPUE was a bust lol better luck next week, back with Deja Vu

EDIT: hey how about a special G59 run? lol
ImageImage

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 06:29

UBerserker wrote:RTNPUE was a bust lol better luck next week, back with Deja Vu

EDIT: hey how about a special G59 run? lol

1) Was RTNPUE a technical bust, or did you just not have a lot of people? I just finished finals and have no school for a couple weeks, so I could actually make it next Saturday.

2) G59 :tup: :tup: :tup:
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 11:59

Seriously though, if G59 is actually considered then:

• Install EXU2 first of course, last available version is 6.00.
  • Install then G59.
  • ABSOLUTELY use EXUOpenGL and use the recommended settings. D3D10 should have uncapped drawdistance as well so that's good too.
  • Remove any mutator/mod that increases the enemy power. No one would really want enhanced EXU2 enemies, let alone the bosses.
  • Remove any mutator/mod that deals with the inventory at respawn. EXU2 comes with its own MapInfo actor where you can set what weapons/items/health the players can (re)spawn with and each G59 map makes use of this heavily.
  • Remove as well anything related to respawning positions as G59 has checkpoints playerstart actors put in specific places.

This should be at least the essential. You might also want to run the thing on Unreal difficulty, much more fun.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 16:07

RTNPUE has something that during server travel (map change) is changing the game type to UPakSinglePlayer. It is supposedly not compatible with coop (I missed that part) but that any map started with the correct command line works fine, shows that it can be made to work quite easily. Considering there's not many things that can be doing this it'll probably be easy to fix with CoopSuite.

EXU is going to take a little more work. Aside from solo I'm not familiar with it enough to see how things are in coop. All the CoopSuite muts are based on things I think are shortcomings with coop so I'll need to see what's already going on in EXU and if there's anything I think needs addressed.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 16:28

Waffnuffly can probably answer there but EXU2 is easy to set up for Coop, the mod's capabilities to be run online is one of its big points at the moment. You don't really need to set up anything special but as I mentioned, mods/mutators that can alter anything related to inventory and monsters (and checkpoints too if you want) must be turned off.

As for RTNPUE, you might want anyway to wait until the new version is out. Not sure when LH will release it but what I played was already good enough for a release - though I'm not sure if it will work or better considering it deals with hi-res/s3tc skins and from what I know those aren't healthy for online UT.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 18:57

I've actually just fixed RTNPUE for coop. I had to use UEd before to figure out which was the first playable map and noticed that instead of normal teleporters for map exits, UPakTeleporters are used. Thinking these might be the possible problem I wrote a coopsuite extension for RNTPUE that searches for UPakTeleporters that are bNet, copies their collision values and url to a new, normal teleporter, and disables the upakteleporter. It actually works. The only thing it needs for completeness are exemptions for any kind of special circumstances, like if the original upakteleporter is trigger enabled or sends players to a cutscene/credits map.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the only time S3TC causes a problem is where there are alternative sets, like the retail UT textures. This was at least the case for maps like 7Bullets, which have custom S3TC textures but no alternative "standard" versions.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 19:00

As long as we start from DuskFalls, RTNPUE will have only the ending map in terms of cutscenes. So it should be fine.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 19:46

So RTNPUE doesn't have any of the "ima talk to myself about things I just did" cutscenes that were peppered throughout RNTP (I think after the intro there were two)?

In any case, it looks like I still have some work. Eldora seems to be doing some weird things with zone teleporters. Playerstarts seem to be past all of this, possibly in an attempt to skip this for coop, but starting from them makes the map impossible to complete. Relocating them is not a big deal, it's the same thing I did with Xidia, it's just time consuming/boring/annoying.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 19:53

zYnthetic wrote:So RTNPUE doesn't have any of the "ima talk to myself about things I just did" cutscenes that were peppered throughout RNTP (I think after the intro there were two)?

None, they're gone.
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 21:47

Actually Eldora isn't uncompletable, I just wasn't familiar with it. The placement of the PlayerStarts really does look like an attempt to bypass areas that could be problems in coop. I could probably do the same thing here as I did with Xidia/7b, making the map more playable without having to skip large areas. I doubt the scripting is as crazy so getting an extension that fixes this and any other maps shouldn't be too difficult.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 20:00

Getting ready to repeat RTNPUE this week and it looks good. I've written an extension that I think is ready. Gametype no longer switches from coop to singleplayer when changing maps. Eldora was the only map that needed start positions corrected and triggered bypasses for impassable areas. Credits map is now skipped and as a first I've made what map is looped back to server configurable. This is because I've also taken one if the dialog maps and made it functional. It serves as a good intermission after completing the game but I can understand if admins would want to skip it and send players right to DuskFalls. I'm not sure what's going on with the Upak weapons. It's possible they only work in UPakSinglePlayer or the player needs to be a Upak pawn. I've made a checkreplacement mut the switches these to Unreal weapons that can be left out if the server has a separate mut that actually fixes them. Everything seems functional to me but I could use someone more familiar with what is supposed to happen. Upak.GameTypeTriggers are used several times, which are non-functional in coop. I've replaced every one I found but there may be some for non-essential events that I missed.

One more thing I've yet to do is modify the health of Marines. Whether this is intended or not, being able to survive multiple direct hits from a redeemer isn't something I can overlook.

CoopSuite has also been updated with some additional fail-safes I missed for spawn-at-player and a new gametype subclass that allows respawn time configuration of weapons with the addition of enabling respawning pickups.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 20:08

[quote="zYnthetic"
One more thing I've yet to do is modify the health of Marines. Whether this is intended or not, being able to survive multiple direct hits from a redeemer isn't something I can overlook.[/quote]

Hahhaha what
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016, 18:49

Taking a closer look now. Turns out the redeemer wasn't actually killing them but rather pushing them into a killpawn zone. The Marines are bots so the server is adding them to the player list and being a coop game with no friendly fire, they're invulnerable. The weird thing is they can harm players and each other. I looked into just changing what class the event spawns but the class parent type is restricted to spacemarine. There's a couple other options I'm looking at to make them killable.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 00:52

I fixed the Marines by removing them from the friendly fire rules. The only problem now is that they sometimes don't pick up the weapon that was spawned for them. This is mostly due to the system that spawns the Marines, instead of adding weapons to their inventory, it spawns them at their feet... I'm reaching the end of my patience with Upak so this may/may not get fixed.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 00:54

Make Marines as dumb as possible.
ImageImage

Previous Next