Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

FeralNostalgiaPack

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: FeralNostalgiaPack

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 15:12

A topic EvilGrins started at ut99.org just reminded me that a long while I ago I managed to group most of the maps I ever made into a single pack and called it FeralNostalgiaPack, and posted it in the Epic forums, but I never managed to post it here.
This is a pack which comprises most of the maps I ever made, during almost 10 years, starting with my first maps and ending with some of my latest.

I am releasing this here too, because I think it serves as a good enough show that we all start in the same way, by doing absolutely terrible maps at first in every possible way, and then over the years slowly improving until they became reasonable at the very least. And I have very fond memories when I did each one of these maps, regardless of how awful most of them ended up being, especially when I look at them now.
They also serve as a good reminder to myself as from where I started, especially since I only started to meddle with code and modding after I did about half of these maps, and up until then I was just playing around with the existing actors such as triggers and other things without touching code at all.

You can download the pack here if you wish to take a peek:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/at0y3u3ku ... iaPack.zip

All of the maps come with a ReadMe to at least say which packages they depend on, given that many of them (especially the first ones) have dependencies towards other mods, mostly weapon mods.
Most of them do not have bot support, some are unfinished, some are rather broken, and many of them are just so awful that I cannot believe they were once the best thing I could do.
Some of them require mutators such as Strangelove or Rocket-X (the ones with the redeemers). Therefore, most of these are NOT the sort of maps you want to have in a server, or to have any expectations to have a good experience with.

And so that you can at least see what you're getting yourself into in case you decide to take a look, here are some screenshots (sorted by when they were created, more or less):
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

There's also one other map, which isn't included in this pack, which was mostly an experiment into doing a merge between CTF and MH, and it can be downloaded separately here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/70q80kczt ... rWorld.zip
This one requires a fair number of dependencies, mostly concerning weapon mods, and while it's very far from what I envisioned, I still think it would be an interest concept to develop again someday.

And it looks like this:
ImageImage

And if you wish to watch the playthrough that I made several years ago (such as watching a nali "fishing" among other things), you can watch it here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/49845645
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/49846009
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/49845641

And again, these are all very old maps, from as far back 10-year old maps all the way up to 4 years ago, and some of them garbage-tier even, and most of them are not to be hosted or to play real matches on, but mostly meant as a demonstration of my own route over the years, and which you may very well relate to from your own first days as mappers up until now. :D

As for where I sit currently in terms of mapping skill, 10 years later, you can check my latest map thus far (the first map I made in almost 4 years of inactivity):
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12401
It ended up not being that great of a map, especially in terms of performance, but I had a lot of fun building it.
(that nogardilaref bastard is me :lol: , a temporary nick I used for a little while before I came back, in case you're wondering)

ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: FeralNostalgiaPack

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 18:54

Feralidragon wrote:(that nogardilaref bastard is me :lol: , a temporary nick I used for a little while before I came back, in case you're wondering)

Mindblown! And it couldve been so obvious, its just your name backwards!

Anyway, especially the later maps look really cool. Everyone of us came a long way. :lol:
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 20:58

Feralidragon wrote:(that nogardilaref bastard is me :lol: , a temporary nick I used for a little while before I came back, in case you're wondering)

That would explain his sudden disappearance on your return then, and his mapping skill despite having apparently never released anything :lol:

SZ

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018, 12:28

Man, I had no idea who you were....and yet it was so simple!

Thanks for putting your work together mate...great stuff and yes, a real time capsule. I hope you're not done yet though! :)

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018, 13:33

:lol:
I honestly didn't think it would come across as such a big surprise to you guys.

But yeah, I was unsure on whether or not to return, and I wanted to test the waters first and kinda "test" the community a bit first over at ut99.org and just participate around in the discussions more "anonymously", and stir things up sometimes a bit just to see the reactions (as there has been periods where the community got highly toxic in the past, so I had to also check what was I getting myself into), and then in case I ended up returning (which I did), I could just reveal it.

It is always very interesting and eye opening to see how people really behave when they don't really know you.

I also wanted to at least do a map again after so many years, and do so in a way where the community had zero expectations from it, so I ended up participating in that ut99.org mapping contest a while ago for fun and to remove some of the 4-year rust I had, and I was only seeking to do and finish a map in just a few days, but I ended up going overdue since I ended up having quite some fun building it and wanted to add more and more stuff, and despite its flaws it turned out ok in the end.

But now, I am back, and I am indeed seeking in doing some stuff in the future.
I didn't map or mod anything since that last map yet, since my focus right now is in something else first (both work and Unreal related), but I do have some major things planned out at least.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018, 18:59

Feralidragon, I have previously read some of your past post's here and there while perusing through Unreal/UT forums in order to learn about this or that aspect of modding or simply to know about the community's history.
This community is the first one related to gaming that I really engaged with, so let me say that while I don't actually know you it is real nice to see that some old timers like yourself sometimes return to the scene with new projects to share :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018, 14:00

Thanks. :)