Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

I think Co-Op is stupid.

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Subject: I think Co-Op is stupid.

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 13:31

Anyone else really starting to dislike Co-Op servers?

Firstly, you don't actually 'co-operate', most people in the server play the game as if they were playing by themselves and don't talk to you. It'd be cool if people actually did talk to each other and throw each other weapons and do as the name of the server says...co-operate.

Secondly, it's far too easy. The servers throw lots more enemies at you, which is great because there are lots more players, but do we really need EVERY single pickup in the game, along with every weapon, each with 5000+ ammo? Not to mention 300+ armor and 200 health units. It's just stupid.

Each player should only get basic weapons and pickups, and then people would HAVE to co-operate.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 13:32

Don't play Coop, simple as that.
ImageImage

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 13:34

I can feel your pain, thats why I quit playing coop.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 13:38

I'm not a Co-Op player, but I suspect it comes down to the management of the server. I think Co-Op is most enjoyable played against a group of friends that you know from outside of the gaming environment, where one of you is running the server and is therefore able to tailor it to the group's requirements.

When I was working on my 10-map SP campaign for Quake (and after I completed it), I used to enjoy testing it / playing it with a friend from school. It was better suited to Co-Op than DM due to the size and SP-centric layout of the maps, although the maps were designed to be playable in all modes.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 13:45

UBerserker wrote:Don't play Coop, simple as that.

Yeah, but it's such a shame, because it's a fantastic concept.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 18:48

Don't play with pubbies in any online game, ever. Pubbies are universally retarded, and this will never, ever change. Get a group of friends to play, and spice it up with good mods. With the right people and the right settings / maps / mods / etc, coop is a blast.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject: Re: I think Co-Op is stupid.

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 20:45

SmotPoker wrote:Anyone else really starting to dislike Co-Op servers?

Firstly, you don't actually 'co-operate', most people in the server play the game as if they were playing by themselves and don't talk to you. It'd be cool if people actually did talk to each other and throw each other weapons and do as the name of the server says...co-operate.

Secondly, it's far too easy. The servers throw lots more enemies at you, which is great because there are lots more players, but do we really need EVERY single pickup in the game, along with every weapon, each with 5000+ ammo? Not to mention 300+ armor and 200 health units. It's just stupid.

Each player should only get basic weapons and pickups, and then people would HAVE to co-operate.

Couldn't agree with you more!! I am a big co-op fan for unreal, but you hit the head on the nail when you listed the things that you dislike about the current unreal 1 coop scene. Although, this can be changed, if a few servers simply went offline. When I host my private co-op server (when I play with friends of mine), we work together and no items/weapons are given to us in the begining of each pack either...

Co-op can be extremely fun if you play on the right server with the right people. The only server I would recommand that is online 24/7 would be Zora's 2 unreal servers. Those capture the spirit of what Unreal co-op is meant to be.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 20:54

Have you been at 3's server, Smotpoker?
ImageImage

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008, 21:45

UBerserker wrote:Have you been at 3's server, Smotpoker?

Can't say I have, mate. Where would I find it?

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 03:38

Reason why co-op sucks is because of the exeggerations. Keep the game simple and original and it works, but now we have all the Hyper BS.

Same about UT2004 monster hunt, short after UT2004's release I had lots of fun with MH, few months ago I tried it again and it changed completely, it became pure nonsense.

I say Zora's servers are the best, all original for the most part. I played it before switching to Infiltration (unreal) co-op.

User avatar Derdak2rot
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 04:49

SmotPoker wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Have you been at 3's server, Smotpoker?

Can't say I have, mate. Where would I find it?

UT coop olskool server , lot of us are playing on it . it have just a couple of mutators , but its still feels "vanilla" playing ;)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 05:38

Call me oldfashioned, but I prefer the classic team ups. When I log on COOP servers in years late, I see giant monsters with silly skins and obscene item overloads. I mean give me a buddy and a pair of automags and we'll take the game on just fine.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 11:52

Yep, 3's server is the way coop should be played (and yes, it's UT Oldskool coop server). Few mutators, only crucial items and one weapon provided. Lots of friendly players who tend to have chats when each map is done. Really cool :)

As for the whole attack on coop - coop is good, most of the players and admins aren't (it's like saying youtube is stupid because it features idiotic comments and videos). It's the community what makes a on-line gaming fun, find right one and you'll enjoy it.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 19:05

Mister_Prophet wrote:Call me oldfashioned, but I prefer the classic team ups. When I log on COOP servers in years late, I see giant monsters with silly skins and obscene item overloads. I mean give me a buddy and a pair of automags and we'll take the game on just fine.

QFgdT

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 20:38

May I ask how to get access to this Server?

Next