Scout-kun is a lie... right?

UT is nine years old...

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: UT is nine years old...

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 22:45

After reading this thread on BU, I realized that the last November 23rd was the nine anniversary of the mighty UT1's release.
So, happy birthday UT, after nine years you're still kicking ass :D
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:14

uhm.. yeah.. congratz with the 9th bday and thanks for being a help to Unreal1.. :P
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:35

It's funny... UT damaged Unreal at first, due to everybody moving on, but I think that, through the arrival of Oldskool, UT gave Unreal single player much greater mileage than it would have had on its own. I'm referring to, for example, UT players who get into single player gameplay through mods like 7B.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:38

Yes.. and it would have even been more awesome if UT was not Tournament-only out of the box (more like Gears of War and U1). Why did the focus on only Tounament ladders!?!!?!?!

Can't imagine what this SP community would have been like if OldSchool WAS in UT

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:45

jackrabbit wrote:Yes.. and it would have even been more awesome if UT was not Tournament-only out of the box (more like Gears of War and U1). Why did the focus on only Tounament ladders!?!!?!?!

And that happened in UT3, which has been a failure. It's better sticking with Tournament Ladders, for an UT game.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:51

I think we should just be happy that UT contained all the code necessary to run Unreal single player maps out of the box. All that was missing was the music (there was even an SP interface in UWindows, but to access it you had to launch the game with an Unreal gametype).

Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:54

Hellscrag wrote:I think we should just be happy that UT contained all the code necessary to run Unreal single player maps out of the box. All that was missing was the music (there was even an SP interface in UWindows, but to access it you had to launch the game with an Unreal gametype).

Amen to that.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 05:45

Hellscrag wrote:I think we should just be happy that UT contained all the code necessary to run Unreal single player maps out of the box. All that was missing was the music (there was even an SP interface in UWindows, but to access it you had to launch the game with an Unreal gametype).

It still pops up for me every now and then actually.
I think it happens if i am playing an SP game, then i disable oldskool and try to do a vanilla UT match. If i press ESC again it comes up with the menus.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 06:28

If it weren't for UT, I would have never got around to releasing maps. I also don't think I'd still be doing it. As far as I'm concerned, UT saved Unreal for me.

Happy 9th.

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 08:46

If it weren't for UT I'd have more free time right now
/shakes fist
;)

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 09:23

Thats odd
because everyone seem to disagree when I siad the same about Unreal2 and ut2004. or 03

I think it was like
"why UT2004 is a different game"
Just ban everyone

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 10:33

The point with those games is that they didn't feature the content to make an unreal single player map. Unreal 2 may have had the singleplayer mechanics but it didn't have the pawns we needed (mercenary, krall, Brute, Nali etc. etc.) and noone ever got to making new versions for use with the Unreal 2 editor. UT2004 on the otherhand, while it reintroduced the old pawns from Unreal through its invasion gametype (which looked oddly lowpoly in the world of 2k4) didn't have the singleplayer gameplay base so that needed a whole lot of coding done to make the necessary adaptions for a singleplayer experience.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 23:11

Frieza wrote:The point with those games is that they didn't feature the content to make an unreal single player map. Unreal 2 may have had the singleplayer mechanics but it didn't have the pawns we needed (mercenary, krall, Brute, Nali etc. etc.) and noone ever got to making new versions for use with the Unreal 2 editor. UT2004 on the otherhand, while it reintroduced the old pawns from Unreal through its invasion gametype (which looked oddly lowpoly in the world of 2k4) didn't have the singleplayer gameplay base so that needed a whole lot of coding done to make the necessary adaptions for a singleplayer experience.

Hmm, been so long, unreal2 don't have all the pawns?
yes that is a problem, epic messed things up, while it could be one massive game brand that lasts. :tdown:
UT99 still the best
Just ban everyone

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 23:23

hey unreal has still lasted. If the expansion for ut3 is any good then it will continue to last as well
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008, 23:34

I love you, UT; you are the best game to have ever graced my hard drive(s) <3

And I really mean HARD drive(s), if you know what I mean

I think my love of UT has become unhealthy...

Next