Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

UT is nine years old...

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 18:52

I actually liked the UT2 weapons, the sound and effects of the shotgun was very cool, I actually miss it (Should have been adopted to the UT arsenal) and the flamethrower was also extremely awesome to use.

But I agree, while the game had it pros and cons the game is a slideshow of different places, I was hoping to stay at one planet, but no, every half hour or so the location changed which totally ruined the atmosphere and gameplay. :shake:
What I did like was the Atlantis ship, quiet nice Idea for that time, and well, Aida was a pretty nice model, but not a ship captain. :P

But the game had its highlights, the models of enemies, marines and fauna were very good, I really enjoyed the tense atmosphere of NC962VIII (Drakk Planet) stumpling into the unknown armed to teeth (but it was WAY too short) and from time to time I replay my favorite mission, Kalydon which had interesting and fun gameplay, good music and a nice twist.
Overall U2 is not an Unreal game, but it was fun, I would give it 6.5 from 10 points available.

What really bothers me is that the models were wasted, they could have been used in UT2K4 for great effect. But due to copyright problems it did not happen. :tdown:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 20:50

Hellscrag wrote:generic enemies

Any enemies in U2 are better than the Krall, Squid and Devilfish. Honestly, U2 is a great game of its own.

Also, there are certain times in which putting lone smiles in posts is meaningless.
Last edited by UB_ on 30 Jan 2009, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 22:06

:?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 23:05

UBerserker wrote:Any enemies in U2 are better than the Krall, Squid and Devilfish. Honestly, U2 is a great game of its own.

I have tried appreciating U2 as a game of its own, but I still didn't manage to finish it.

I am not so blinkered that I can't assess the game on its own merits. My comparison to Unreal was only to demonstrate how Unreal presented a carefully considered, properly fleshed-out world where U2 didn't. The fact that U2 wasn't set on Na Pali is irrelevant. I simply found very little to interest me in U2.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 23:17

Focus always on only one planet isn't a nice thing either. Anyway, U2 didn't do it well at making the environment around you interesting.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 00:02

Unreal 2, on it's own merits...is decent. Average. Standard Flare.

That's not bad thing. But when you do it as a sequel to something that's challenged the status quo...well yeah, it's very easy for fans to be dissatisfied.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 00:36

I actually really enjoyed unreal 2. but it was probably because i was expecting a really bad game when i bought it. I bought it in 2007 so there was 4 years worth of bad criticism to read and i read most of it. I read all the reviews that said it was bad and so wasn't expecting anything special.
When unreal 2 turned out to be a pretty fun game I was quite suprised.

Unreal 2 is special in its own way. I think proph summed it up nicely. Unreal stood out, unreal 2 didn't.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 12:35

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I actually really enjoyed unreal 2. but it was probably because i was expecting a really bad game when i bought it. I bought it in 2007 so there was 4 years worth of bad criticism to read and i read most of it. I read all the reviews that said it was bad and so wasn't expecting anything special.
When unreal 2 turned out to be a pretty fun game I was quite suprised.

Exactly the same story here. It was so... despised, because people considered it as sequel to Unreal (and partially, it is), and as a sequel it fails. But can't say it's a bad when you think about it as standalone game.
TheIronKnuckle wrote:Unreal 2 is special in its own way. I think proph summed it up nicely. Unreal stood out, unreal 2 didn't.

Most probably - what he said :tup:

As Visc said, weaponary here isn't bad, I really miss the Magnum gun. Also, flamethrower was fun to use. But I can't agree about shotgun. It was cool, got cool sounds but in fact I think about it as underpowered. As mentioned by Punisher the Shock Lance seemed useless unless you discovered that it's alt-fire is daedly for robotic enemies and energy fields.

As for the variety of enviroments - it's not a bad thing generally (looking forward to RD!), but it could have been better. IMO planets are really well-designed and each has it's own, unique feel, but a little longer exploration wouldn't hurt! And I loved the unique feel of Na Koja Abad :tup:

As for enemies...
UBerserker wrote:Any enemies in U2 are better than the Krall, Squid and Devilfish.

Squid is my least favourite enemy in whole Unreal, can't agree more. But Kraal? Or Devilfish? You know, you can always play Mothership with a mutator that replaces all infantry weapons with Super Shock Rifle - now that's a challenge, isn't it? Or (you already did...) complete Unreality on Unreal - it's hard, isn't it? But I don't quite understand your aproach here (or I might misinterpreted your post). Ok, Devilfish IS dumb, and Kraal ARE dumber than Skaarj. So what? It adds variety to the game. Not every natural predator is mega super ultra f**g killer, nor it should be. Kraal aren't elite soliders, they're just pure cannon fodder. IMO it adds realism to the game.

A s for U2 enemies: I'm disappointed. Ok, wildlife is cool but weak, including mutated spiders. And humanoids? They're all the same. Skaarj/Heavy Skaarj. Izanagi Warrior/Heavy warrior. Liandri Angel/Heavy angel. Marine/Heavy marine. That gets repeatitive after a while, doesn't it?

But, a good thing about U2 is storyline. Some say it's stupid, but I think it was OK. You visit many places, but at least you know WHY. You have some purpose in the game, not only "find the key to open this door". And who think that the end of second visit on Avalon wasn't really sad?
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 19:11

Devilfish are just generic big fish.

Krall, aside being totally dumb in battle, are just uninteresting and badly designed, unless they use their beta skins - deleting them was one of the greatest errors from Epic in my opinion - at least do something to make them special like the rest of the races! In this case, creatures that look like came from hell and torturing and watching the Nali all the days. That's a step forward.

They seem to be put in Unreal to create a different opposition out of the blue instead of making you fight Skaarj.
Izarians are worthy enemies. What a slick design.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 19:38

UBerserker wrote:...[Krall] seem to be put in Unreal to create a different opposition out of the blue instead of making you fight Skaarj.
Izarians are worthy enemies. What a slick design.

Well, Izarians basically are Krall by any other name, aren't they...!

Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 19:44

Hellscrag wrote:Well, Izarians basically are Krall by any other name, aren't they...!

Minus the lameness regarding design. They also enslaved other races, like the Skaarj, so that's a bonus point.
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 19:57

UBerserker wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Well, Izarians basically are Krall by any other name, aren't they...!

Minus the lameness regarding design. They also enslaved other races, like the Skaarj, so that's a bonus point.

I'd like to show you something. Here:

UT is nine years old...

Yep, you guessed right, that's the thread title. Read with me. Nine. Years. Old.
Looks like Doom 3 was loooots of fun compared to the Unreal because enemies there are high-poly! And the Imps... they own the whole Hell! yeah, they rule the whole hell = they're cool. Not some useless, enslaved (or other contract, it wasn't made clear in the game why the Skaarj are in charge, was it?) and (worst of all) nine year old Kraal.

Seriously, does the backstory (or lack of it IMO) behind Izarians make them wiser? Stronger? Harder? BETTER?

So, my point is your mom's f... wait, not this one.

My point is you have no point, nor you need to have. you don't like the Kraal? Cool, so what? Just don't try to justify your opinion with arguments like that...

EDIT: Oh, and (IMO) the beta skin look fugly.

EDIT: UT is nine years old. That means Unreal turn 11 this year!

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 20:00

Hellscrag wrote:I have tried appreciating U2 as a game of its own, but I still didn't manage to finish it.

I am not so blinkered that I can't assess the game on its own merits. My comparison to Unreal was only to demonstrate how Unreal presented a carefully considered, properly fleshed-out world where U2 didn't. The fact that U2 wasn't set on Na Pali is irrelevant. I simply found very little to interest me in U2.

The gameplay in Unreal 2 isn’t as disappointing to me in and of itself as much as the course that it set for the Unreal franchise is. Unreal 2 was fairly run of the mill, in my opinion, and I have definitely played worse games. However by attaching its mediocre gameplay with the Unreal name, it left a bad taste in the mouth of most gamers - both hardcore and casual. And that reception could be a factor in why Unreal isn’t taken as seriously by the masses as it could be. I know that if I had played Unreal 2 first, I wouldn’t have been interested at all in seeing what Unreal was all about; and if Unreal 3 had been announced soon after, I wouldn’t have paid attention.

Still, I’m not trying to heap all of my finger-pointing on Unreal 2 or saying that it’s the sole reason why Epic hasn’t made a single-player follow up to Unreal. But I would have preferred it if Legend had developed their game using some of the ideas that weren’t associated with Unreal, such as planet-to-planet exploration, and called it something else. Then I would have spent less time thinking “THIS is the sequel to Unreal?!” and more time enjoying the unique aspects the game can deliver. As it stands, I played it once and forgot about it; the only reason it comes to mind now is because it’s associated with a game I really enjoy.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 20:09

Well put uza.gp! :tup: I totally agree.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 20:42

Jethro wrote:UT is nine years old...

We're talking about Krall, appeared in Unreal 1.
Ten. Years. Old.
Oh wait, you edited your post at the end.

Seriously, does the backstory (or lack of it IMO) behind Izarians make them wiser? Stronger? Harder? BETTER?

Where did I say that their backstory made them the most kickass creatures of all the time?
Yes or no. If I ever had to choose an ally in battle I'd go with the Izarians. At least they did something in their past instead of nothing or play with dices like those mutated alien Jaffa. Plus, they are at least menacing.

Either way I don't care about backstories if the dude in question speaks already for himself in terms of power or concept. Here you go: why I didn't put the Giant Gasbags in my small list? Due to their concept. Spawning infinite Gasbags in no time is something that I find nice.

You're just thinking that I like only the creatures that know how to make a good fight. In Unreal, only Skaarj Troopers and Mercenaries fall in that category. Do I dislike the rest? No. Put this argument to a rest.

My point is you have no point, nor you need to have. you don't like the Kraal? Cool, so what? Just don't try to justify your opinion with arguments like that...

So here's it: I hate the Krall. They're weak, retarded creatures that look ugly and aren't menacing. They're put in the game only to annoy the players or die. Nothing interesting about them, aside the fact they had a bit of personality.
How about making good use of their rebellious nature? If they hate the Skaarj so much, they should ally with someone else like the player. I bet the latter will do better mayhem, which the Krall seem to enjoy.

EDIT: Oh, and (IMO) the beta skin look fugly.

Ok and bye.
ImageImage

Previous Next