ividyon will never get this done, will he.

WAR-Hostile

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: WAR-Hostile

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 14:11

Until a few minutes ago I did not note that UT3s Titan Pack Map WAR-Hostile is supposed to be located on NaPali.

After this enlightenment I was much more interested to see more of this map.
And I am really satisfied wit this map. I think Epic made it right with the athmosphere of the Napali jungle environment.
You see this really huge - partly dead looking - trees with a lot of hanging moss there (very Aztec like). Then you are surrounded by this green distance fog (anywise I could think they saw TCO Screenshots before they started to make this map :D ). Last but not least: Those small extra details - the sounds of the titans, the sliths.. etc (I looked into the ed, even Nali Sounds are included, although I did not hear any Nali sound during testing of the map, well not really played, because I did not like warfare that much).
So what do you think about that map? Do you also think, that Epic made it right with this Napali atmosphere? Are you satisfied with it? Does the map give you this jungle atmosphre from which you thought Napali would have it?
Last edited by Creavion on 17 Mar 2009, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
>:E
--------------------------------------------------
Waffnuffly wrote:Holy shit a HOUSE-SIZED BOX

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 14:15

Where did the colours go?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 14:18

sana wrote:Where did the colours go?

Hm? :?

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 14:53

I expect Na Pali to have a colourful sky and nicely lit atmosphere. This map looks like any other new Epic map - dark and de-saturated. The Slith noises and Nali crosses are the only things that remind me of Na Pali when playing it.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 15:01

My favourite WAR map aside Tropico :tup:

There are some mountains that have the same shape of a Titan, so check that. Also, perfect colours once again - I'm tired to see lots of colours thrown mindlessy here and here.

Took me a while to realize that you can't get the red orb here.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 15:18

Are you actually allowed to get those out and export those to your own custom unreal (U/UT) content?
And are they better quality than the stock U/UT sounds?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 15:28

Darkon wrote:Are you actually allowed to get those out and export those to your own custom unreal (U/UT) content?

I'm confused. Are you talking about the Titan/Slith sounds (that are loud as hell in WAR-Hostile) and the Nali Cross as "content"?

Aside the fact that this is an Epic retail map, you are allowed to use Unreal content in other Unreal games (I.e. you are allowed to export/import the Queen model into UT3, or the UT2k4 Rocket Launcher into UT1, etc...).
The only exception being Unreal 2 since it's made by Legend.
ImageImage

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 15:39

Darkon wrote:Are you actually allowed to get those out and export those to your own custom unreal (U/UT) content?

If you see it meticulously of course not.. but who cares. For our mappack I exported several powerup sounds from ut3 and so..
I dont care anymore for this, lately I saw this guy on bu who exported all the GOW textures and meshes for ut3, I think he posted that thread even on epicforums. Epic dont care for it.

And to the quality: Those are the same sounds. As like on DM-Morbias with the Vortex Rikers speeches.

@unreal 2: bla bla lol.. Legend does not exist anymore... btw: unreal 2 was made by order of epic. And if anybody would care for this.. oh man those poor guys from previous FOT packs who used stuff from unreal 2, they would be doomed. But they are not.. because nobody cares for it.

Edit: Better example is UTXMP... :rolleyes:

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 19:33

There are about three colors besides the weapon: Light-brown, light greenish-brown, black. Maybe white, but it could be very light brown.-
Definitely not Na pali for me, it looks more like a swamp in autumn than a jungle-ish map. :?

The whole stuff looks like a sepia-photo.

Epic is going nuts with grunge and colorless maps.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Epic better continues with these colours.

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 19:45

Creavion wrote:@unreal 2: bla bla lol.. Legend does not exist anymore... btw: unreal 2 was made by order of epic. And if anybody would care for this.. oh man those poor guys from previous FOT packs who used stuff from unreal 2, they would be doomed. But they are not.. because nobody cares for it.

Edit: Better example is UTXMP... :rolleyes:

That was before. Now no one cares.
Back on topic.
After Hostile, I definitely wants more new Na Pali stuff from Epic - I am very impressed.
ImageImage

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 20:55

From the pictures I find it difficult to recognize NaPali in it.. hope they don't go for this look should Epic ever decide to make Unreal 3

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 21:11

My 2 cents say that the new design will be very welcome. Now, that UT2k4 ONS Map on Na Pali - that was bad.

-inbeforewhatposts.
ImageImage

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 21:22

UBerserker wrote:My 2 cents say that the new design will be very welcome.

The question is by whom.

I guess it will be welcome by people which never saw the REAL NaPali in Unreal so they dont have the slightest idea what NaPali actually is-. Make it for a console and for the 16-year old fanboys it wouldnt matter if NaPali is a desert, or a mountain or the planet of Teletubbies as long as they can orgasm about killing everything they see with the newest available graphics effects. - because the screenshots dont show NaPali, it may show NaPali as YOU imagine it (You = generally speaking), but it clearly isnt THE NaPali.

That means - hardcore Unreal and UT-SP fans will be fucked once again.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 21:35

That means - hardcore Unreal and UT-SP fans will be fucked once again.

It's been known to happen. And it's not just epic that does this. The hardcore fans resist change. New fans embrace it. EPIC wants to improve the player base so they reel in the new fans.

But in general i agree with your post
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009, 21:40

-Visc- wrote:That means - hardcore Unreal and UT-SP fans will be fucked once again.

Not all of them :D

No one will ever manage to recreate Na Pali on another engine in the same old Unreal style. If it happens however, there will be always people who say "I miss the old Na Pali from Unreal 1". Just like "UT3 never tops UT1 for unknown reasons". Nostalgia is like a bad virus.
Also, going through Unreal does not mean going through the entire Na Pali - Hostile map is basically a new environment.

To be honest, Hostile reminds me of TCO with all the jungle/swamp/fog stuff. But it does a good job at reminding me of Na Pali.
ImageImage

Next