Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

DM-FoT-Arken (Warning: Ass-huge Images)

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: DM-FoT-Arken (Warning: Ass-huge Images)

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009, 06:50

My masterpiece and my shame. The only multiplayer level I have released since 2004's DM-CondorBase (I think a few of you guys here seen that). :P

I present to you my obra maestra. Enter, DM-FoT-Arken:

A lot of people have come to hate what I've done with Arken as I intended it to be more of an art map (I term I picked up from OldUnreal.com :P ) than a real playable multiplayer map. My goal was to make the old UT look almost like UT3 as an illusion. This was a practice map that was never meant to be released and most especially not part of FoT which came to my surprise that I was even accepted in there.

People will criticize me for what I've done but I'm damned proud of my achievement. Arken is just another map that tries too hard for many people but to me, it's a milestone of skill. It's the perfect object that represents the distance I've covered since I first began in 2004. Throughout my rocky history from almost a lifetime ago of being treated an idiot in NC3 (because I was one, looking back at times such as when I asked what the "]["'s in map names meant :P ) and my constant proposals for a Darkcloud SP project that never came to be (all the maps presented had no relevance or proper plan yet at that time and my skill was way too under par to make such a map pack) and even some times when I trudged through murky waters here in USP.org, I'm happy from the bottom of my heart to what I've reached even if most will think this was just another petty attempt at pushing the engine (which it may as well be).

I would have wanted this thread not to be just promoting this crapmap of mine, but I would also have posted some of my mapping history. Fortunately and unfortunately, half of my mapping history was destroyed years ago along with an HDD. If there were some highlight hallmarks I reached back then however, it's when I first joined Zephon and SP2D. Without those projects, I would never have progressed any farther.

Regardless, I know some things that will happen next and some things that won't - first-off, about mapping itself. I know that I never can and never will become pro/commercial level designer. :) I will be limited, for my entire life, to just being a hobbyist level designer but even that title's good for a portfolio. A lot of expectedly bright things are NOT going to happen for me but I'm still satisfied about the effort I'm giving into this. And not just into my mapping, but everything else I've invested my interests in.

In that case, enough yapping! I would release the whole map as standalone but I don't quite have the time and people will not like it so all I can do is give a referral to the Timewarp page:
http://timewarp.beyondunreal.com/blog1.php/fate-of-time

I remember the time when I first set foot into the fray as a "newborn" mapper and released Condor Base to the public...

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009, 08:37

Those screenshots don't drop my framerate :tup:

but seriously, I did download that pack when it came out and I was amazed at the different colors when I gave this map a run. I felt like a retard opening up a box of lucky charms for the first time.... Congratz on this accomplishment. Now maybe the map can be optimized to get an average of 70-90 fps (thats what I get average in UT3). Then again, you can only do so much optimization with this older Unreal engine.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009, 15:22

Holy crap some of this stuff looks so incredibly awesome. Is that some kind of badass tank I see? CLOSEUPS DEMANDED

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009, 17:22

Pretty!

If it were me doing it, I'd probably try to get the individual light sources looking a little brighter - but since I'd never come up with such awesome architecture, I'd never be in that position! :lol:
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2009, 15:48

I downloaded the pack, but haven't had the time yet to do anything with it.. :tdown: :shake:
Pitty, because some of the maps, including you look great. There's a lot of different lighting, but it gives the map a certain mood, which I really like. Also additional details like the tank/ vehicle model that hangs in the air there (as far as I can see), gives a nice touch.
And I've always drooled over your Darkcloud Rising map pics.. so even when you would come up with a single SP map, i would love to play it!
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2009, 19:57

Darkon wrote:I downloaded the pack, but haven't had the time yet to do anything with it.. :tdown: :shake:
Pitty, because some of the maps, including you look great. There's a lot of different lighting, but it gives the map a certain mood, which I really like. Also additional details like the tank/ vehicle model that hangs in the air there (as far as I can see), gives a nice touch.
And I've always drooled over your Darkcloud Rising map pics.. so even when you would come up with a single SP map, i would love to play it!

Project Zephon map #1 ftw